Home Buying & Real Estate Thread

Anyone buy a house in Palmdale?
Was thinking of buying sincw houses are cheap and closest to LA.
I work in LA so that would be a long commute, but man I would love to own and that area is growing.

I work in LA so that would be a long commute, but man I would love to own and that area is growing.

I have a few cousins that moved out there from weho and Watts. They love it. And they still work in LA they say the commute isn’t that bad which I find hard to believe.

that commute can be tough, especially during fire seasons
interstate 5 is prone to closures and heavy trailer traffic

What do folks in LA consider a bad commute to be?

Last time I was out there I got an Uber from Santa Monica over to where Bodega is in the afternoon. I guess close to Fashion District/Skid Row? Took over an hour. Palmdale looks way further on a map :lol:

I have a few cousins that moved out there from weho and Watts. They love it. And they still work in LA they say the commute isn’t that bad which I find hard to believe.
Same. I live in SCV and that drive is still kind of annoying, pre-COVID. But owning is enticing.
that commute can be tough, especially during fire seasons
interstate 5 is prone to closures and heavy trailer traffic
This is real true and Rainy season. The 14 pretty much the only way to get back and forth.

might be better to save up and go to santa clarita valley

there are more and more people living out there
quartz hill is a super nice area in palmdale but more expensive compared to the other side of the freeway
if you commute 5 days it can be done but you might get over it after a while, although there are TONS of people tha commute from there to the SFV and even LA

Last time I was out there I got an Uber from Santa Monica over to where Bodega is in the afternoon. I guess close to Fashion District/Skid Row? Took over an hour. Palmdale looks way further on a map :lol:
It’s about 60mile difference. 1 hour with NO traffic. Without COVID, maybe 2hours going home.

Grew up in Palmdale. Will never live there. Lol.
My current commute is 25-30 min from Monterey Park to Pasadena. My longest commute was Palmdale to LAX for 4 months. Hour and 45 min minimum. I’m currently shopping for a condo or townhome. I would be happy with 45 min commute. I think that’s an average commute in LA County all things being equal.

Bro I lived in SM and it took me 45 mins in the AM to get to Venice each day lol - it was like 6 miles

Anyone here have a realtor account and can pull stats on 73538 zip code? Got a few calls from realtors asking me, or telling me even, I should sell and its a seller's market out there.

my commute is 28 miles one way, straight 405 southbay to newport
35-45 minutes in the am
1 hour or so in the afternoon.
this is during covid

pre covid...shieet,

Anyone here have a realtor account and can pull stats on 73538 zip code? Got a few calls from realtors asking me, or telling me even, I should sell and its a seller's market out there.
zillow can show you recently sold homes in any zip

Finally got to the point were we are going to finish our basement. Any tips, tricks, or sites you would recommend? Wish this wasn't during the pandemic (for many reasons) but I would love to tour homes with finished basements for ideas.

Finally got to the point were we are going to finish our basement. Any tips, tricks, or sites you would recommend? Wish this wasn't during the pandemic (for many reasons) but I would love to tour homes with finished basements for ideas.
look at DIY vids on YT
tbh, you might even find ideas on tiktok

Grew up in Palmdale. Will never live there. Lol.
My current commute is 25-30 min from Monterey Park to Pasadena. My longest commute was Palmdale to LAX for 4 months. Hour and 45 min minimum. I’m currently shopping for a condo or townhome. I would be happy with 45 min commute. I think that’s an average commute in LA County all things being equal.

i remember messaging you. Moved my location to Palmdale maybe :lol:
You ain’t like it? I honestly see it as an investment houses are going up out there and they getting more stuff every year. I wouldn’t live there long term.
either rent out in 5years or sale at higher price.

Pretty sure ksteezy ksteezy just finished his, or is at least pretty close to it.

Houzz is always a good resource for photos and ideas.

My dad got a place there, said weather can be real rough (for us Californians), crazy winds, heat. Crime is definitely more

get the houzz app
lots of ideas

What kind of tips you looking for? What do you plan on doing with the space?

When we got our finished basement re-finished (after a flood) - we had them throw some HDMI wires behind the wall, put in 2 egress windows to make the downstairs rooms "official" bedrooms, better insulation in the walls.

Thanks for all of the recommendations, especially on Houzz. I was trying to find the right words but inspirations and ideas on how to use the space when talking with the contractor would have been a better choice of words.
Of course the other issue is finding a contractor where I live. That is going to be a process in itself to weed out who we like and don't.
Dream scenario for the space would be family / entertaining space, gym, bar, kids area and wine cellar / wine wall. Not to mention some storage space. So a long list of wants but not sure if that can be pulled off with the space.
Thanks again, guys!

Back
Top Bottom