Home Buying & Real Estate Thread

Thanks for all of the recommendations, especially on Houzz. I was trying to find the right words but inspirations and ideas on how to use the space when talking with the contractor would have been a better choice of words.
Of course the other issue is finding a contractor where I live. That is going to be a process in itself to weed out who we like and don't.
Dream scenario for the space would be family / entertaining space, gym, bar, kids area and wine cellar / wine wall. Not to mention some storage space. So a long list of wants but not sure if that can be pulled off with the space.
Thanks again, guys!
houzz is my ****
you can filter by room, floor color, floor material, counter color/material etc etc etc

Congrats on the new house. A quick google search mentions:
If the arc-fault breaker still trips, the electrician then needs to track down the cause by going into each switch, receptacle and light box to look for a wiring problem. Wires are often folded (jammed) into boxes quickly, and if the wrong two wires make contact, they can trip an AFCI.
I used a outlet receptacle tester on my outlets and they all tested fine. It would indicate if you had any crossed or improperly wired outlets
Quick update. Had the builder's electrician come out twice and they said the AFCI breakers used (Siemens) are known for nuisance tripping. We aren't the only house that has complained about it. Even the house warranty says the AFCI breakers - which are now required by building code - are known for tripping and its not covered under warranty. They will come out to check it and replace any faulty breakers if found but the constant tripping is a sign of it "working." These things are just overly sensitive to any arcs and not all electronics play nice with them yet.

We have a third party electrician coming out to replace the Siemens with Eaton classified breakers. He said those have worked best for eliminating nuisance tripping. Will report back. Been in this house for a month and have reset breakers almost every day....

houzz is my ****
you can filter by room, floor color, floor material, counter color/material etc etc etc

do they have like whole floor plans for getting ideas on new construction too or is it more for renovation?

I need some ideas for a house to build. I got some but it’s always nice to look at a bunch and get overwhelmed. :lol:

do they have like whole floor plans for getting ideas on new construction too or is it more for renovation?

I need some ideas for a house to build. I got some but it’s always nice to look at a bunch and get overwhelmed. :lol:
More interior renovation from what I know. That’s what I use it for but I’m not sure

Since we’re on the topic of renovations, is redoing your floor plan really as simple as the YouTube videos make it look? We currently have carpet in our home and we still plan on staying at the current place for a few years so trying to decide if the investment is worth it.

Anyone ITT a realtor? Would love to pick your brain on something that I haven't gotten a straight answer from mine on.

Anyone buy a house in Palmdale?
Was thinking of buying sincw houses are cheap and closest to LA.
I work in LA so that would be a long commute, but man I would love to own and that area is growing.

I think it's a great way to dip your toes in to the real estate market. You have to start somewhere, right? The market continues to rise and every passing day you go without owning, is another passing day you go without potential equity gains.

Without knowing your financial situation, I'd make the assumption that if you're looking out there, you(like millions of other angelenos) are simply priced out of the greater LA market.

I saw someone mention SCV and SFV... These areas are still, at an average, about twice as expensive as Palmdale. In many situations, it's not as easy as just "saving up a little more" .. your whole financial status will probably need a boost.. (greater income. Higher credit score. Better debt to income ratio. Bigger down payment etc.)

You say your girl, lives out there.? So you must be somewhat familiar with the area... I personally don't think it's THAT bad... But then again, I've never lived there. Have only visited. Just seems more quite. Change of pace.

In regards to the commute... HA.! Don't be fooled man... I work with a few people that live out there... They say their commute can range anywhere from 90min - 3hrs. (We work in WeHo) People will say "it's not that bad" but thats obviously subjective. I like to believe they simply don't want people knowing, how bad they got it.. :lol:

still holding out hope to find something to my liking in the southbay/lakewood area, but man prices aint come down for ish at all and the market is dry to begin with.
smh
got me venturing out my area and looking at big *** houses in corona but im just waiting it out for now.

I think it's a great way to dip your toes in to the real estate market. You have to start somewhere, right? The market continues to rise and every passing day you go without owning, is another passing day you go without potential equity gains.

Without knowing your financial situation, I'd make the assumption that if you're looking out there, you(like millions of other angelenos) are simply priced out of the greater LA market.

I saw someone mention SCV and SFV... These areas are still, at an average, about twice as expensive as Palmdale. In many situations, it's not as easy as just "saving up a little more" .. your whole financial status will probably need a boost.. (greater income. Higher credit score. Better debt to income ratio. Bigger down payment etc.)

You say your girl, lives out there.? So you must be somewhat familiar with the area... I personally don't think it's THAT bad... But then again, I've never lived there. Have only visited. Just seems more quite. Change of pace.

In regards to the commute... HA.! Don't be fooled man... I work with a few people that live out there... They say their commute can range anywhere from 90min - 3hrs. (We work in WeHo) People will say "it's not that bad" but thats obviously subjective. I like to believe they simply don't want people knowing, how bad they got it.. :lol:

good ****. Pretty much on the dime :lol:
Yea. I’m convincing myself more and more to move out there. Like you said. I want to build that equity. And then later hopefully afford a house out here.

still holding out hope to find something to my liking in the southbay/lakewood area, but man prices aint come down for ish at all and the market is dry to begin with.
smh
got me venturing out my area and looking at big *** houses in corona but im just waiting it out for now.

People different out there in Riverside County bro :lol:

Is it that bad out there in riverside? Me and my lady just started looking at apartments that way and corona

Anyone ever buy a piece of land off eBay? Looking to spend anywhere from $300-500. Any rule of thumbs I should consider? Any thing else I should think about as well?

You mean 300-500k?

I wouldn’t buy anything unseen for that amount, yeah there’s a ton to consider, flood plains, easements, covenants, fire control, noxious weeds. Is it platted or preliminary plat?

if it’s 300-500 dollars go nuts. :lol:

utilities can also cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to bring in if they aren’t already there unless you want to go solar with a lp generator for backup, check wells in the area, if there’s no water you gotta truck that in as well.

I bought a timeshare off ebay. Had a $150 cash back I thjnk I paid like 50 so it was a money maker, Welk too.

Back
Top Bottom