Home Buying & Real Estate Thread

no shade but when he said honolulu i assumed he meant the entire island out of ignorance. Most people who have never been or lived there refer to the island as "honolulu" or "waikiki". That area is newer construction but not like brand new. I lived in both cities back 2012 ish. It was newish for hawaii. The whole island unless things have changed is pretty much older construction but makes sense since they dont get anything but summertime weather lol.

That's definitely true about people getting the whole island and Honolulu confused. And they've actually put up a decent amount of new single families and townhomes in ewa beach in the last couple of years. Some in kapolei too. Which has made the traffic even worse.

Have had a lot of issues with my rentals this last year that cost me a lot of $. 2 tenants in California took advantage of the COVID+ moratorium (1 still is), Had to get lawyers involved and cost me 5k+. He wasn't paying rent and claiming COVID for a year+, when I filed him for eviction he lawyered up. Had to come to settlement that basically he'll only leave if I waive his missing rents. Lost 20k+ in rents, but glad he is out of there ultimately. Now, I'm turning over that unit (tenant left the place in shambles, didn't return the keys/garage door opener, made life as hard as possible) and got to find a good tenant.. I've had to evict in Ohio and it took a week and 300$. Evicting in California cost me 5k+ and several months, really strong tenant protections that it's just not even fair.

Other tenant in another property in California (inherited tenant when I bought the property 2 years ago) hasn't been paying, using COVID moratorium, and they won't let me evict in the county... There's literally nothing I can do to get him out at this time.

Property in Ohio has annual inspections. The city required a fix and my property manager was dragging their feet claiming storm/freezing weather etc. I ended up switching property managers (process takes a month+). I asked for a extension and eventually had the repairs completed. Didn't have the re-inspection in time (even though repairs were completed), and city was trying to charge me in court.. Attorney went and represented me, saying that repairs were already completed, checked off by city and in compliance. Court said didn't meet their deadline and their charging me with minor misdemeanor/ 200$...

So annoyed with everything going on that I rage sold a property (for decent profit)

Nice passive income until it isn't
Dealing with tenants can definitely fill u with rage
some of them a different breed

Dealing with tenants can definitely fill u with rage
some of them a different breed
Had to do 2 evictions last year (surprisingly this is my first time ever having it go that far).

Very thankful none of my tenants tried that Covid **** on me. I ain't Gon front I would've probably took the street route with that. I sometimes have to remind people they are stealing from my family (and I don't play about my family) when they try to get funny with the rent etc.

Yeah, I have in my lease that they're responsible but lawyers said send it to small claims court (where I'll probably never see it). California R.I.P.

Haven’t had to deal with it but my boy who draws the contracts would be the same to file them in CA 😂

Had to do 2 evictions last year (surprisingly this is my first time ever having it go that far).

Very thankful none of my tenants tried that Covid **** on me. I ain't Gon front I would've probably took the street route with that. I sometimes have to remind people they are stealing from my family (and I don't play about my family) when they try to get funny with the rent etc.
In NY you'd be arrested and barred from entering your own property going the street route. Every now and then in NY LL tenant relations boil over into violence. LL's got no juice in NY.

0onj49xn3gda1.png

Have had a lot of issues with my rentals this last year that cost me a lot of $. 2 tenants in California took advantage of the COVID+ moratorium (1 still is), Had to get lawyers involved and cost me 5k+. He wasn't paying rent and claiming COVID for a year+, when I filed him for eviction he lawyered up. Had to come to settlement that basically he'll only leave if I waive his missing rents. Lost 20k+ in rents, but glad he is out of there ultimately. Now, I'm turning over that unit (tenant left the place in shambles, didn't return the keys/garage door opener, made life as hard as possible) and got to find a good tenant.. I've had to evict in Ohio and it took a week and 300$. Evicting in California cost me 5k+ and several months, really strong tenant protections that it's just not even fair.

Other tenant in another property in California (inherited tenant when I bought the property 2 years ago) hasn't been paying, using COVID moratorium, and they won't let me evict in the county... There's literally nothing I can do to get him out at this time.

Property in Ohio has annual inspections. The city required a fix and my property manager was dragging their feet claiming storm/freezing weather etc. I ended up switching property managers (process takes a month+). I asked for a extension and eventually had the repairs completed. Didn't have the re-inspection in time (even though repairs were completed), and city was trying to charge me in court.. Attorney went and represented me, saying that repairs were already completed, checked off by city and in compliance. Court said didn't meet their deadline and their charging me with minor misdemeanor/ 200$...

So annoyed with everything going on that I rage sold a property (for decent profit)

Nice passive income until it isn't
What are they claiming for the COVID moratorium? How are they qualifying for that? Are they actually unemployed? If not how do the courts not see that they have an income and just won't pay rent?

Anybody else write the house number on their trash cans? At my old neighborhood this was a normal thing but I’m the only one in my new neighborhood that does this. Recently watched a home insurance commercial and kinda feel washed now.

The garbage company in my city writes it on there for you. I thought it was normal practice. Now the phone number is a diff story lol

What are they claiming for the COVID moratorium? How are they qualifying for that? Are they actually unemployed? If not how do the courts not see that they have an income and just won't pay rent?
No documentation required, just "attestation", must be nice. I've been talking with a lawyer and basically theirs nothing I can do, and will continue to be nothing I can do in the near future.

My homegirl in Florida was renting with a friend of hers who stiffed her on the last months rent and had 5k in domages because the friend had an interior design degree and kept redesigning the room and balcony every 2 weeks.

My friend and the now ex-roommate are apparently not on speaking terms. She wanted to know if it's worth taking the ex-roommate to small claims court for the judgement. It will cost her money she doesn't have right now for court, plus there is no guarantee of payment.

I told her try to negotiate with leasing company buy the best they could do is Settle at 3800.

My friend is also realizing she needs to buy soon. She is a pretty, single woman in her 30's, she initially wanted to wait until in a relationship before buying because she wanted a partner to help her with the maintenance, however she recently realized if she continues to wait rent will just keep going up and she is even less likely to be in a buying position.

I really feel for shorty I know 5K isn't a ton to many of us but this will be a difficult hole for her to climb out of.

My homegirl in Florida was renting with a friend of hers who stiffed her on the last months rent and had 5k in domages because the friend had an interior design degree and kept redesigning the room and balcony every 2 weeks.

My friend and the now ex-roommate are apparently not on speaking terms. She wanted to know if it's worth taking the ex-roommate to small claims court for the judgement. It will cost her money she doesn't have right now for court, plus there is no guarantee of payment.

I told her try to negotiate with leasing company buy the best they could do is Settle at 3800.

My friend is also realizing she needs to buy soon. She is a pretty, single woman in her 30's, she initially wanted to wait until in a relationship before buying because she wanted a partner to help her with the maintenance, however she recently realized if she continues to wait rent will just keep going up and she is even less likely to be in a buying position.

I really feel for shorty I know 5K isn't a ton to many of us but this will be a difficult hole for her to climb out of.
We’re they both on the lease or just her?
Sounds like maybe she wasn’t because otherwise she should be held liable for her portion. If not I would gamble and do it. But then again with no proof of her being on the lease, she could easily be like idk what you talking about

We’re they both on the lease or just her?
Sounds like maybe she wasn’t because otherwise she should be held liable for her portion. If not I would gamble and do it. But then again with no proof of her being on the lease, she could easily be like idk what you talking about
Both her and the ex roommate were on the lease... the old roommate just gives no ****. Credit really doesn't matter to a certain portion of society.

Both her and the ex roommate were on the lease... the old roommate just gives no ****. Credit really doesn't matter to a certain portion of society.
How can she be responsible then? That’s kinda not fair. Tenants have rights. If the leasing company won’t budge I’d take them to court too

How can she be responsible then? That’s kinda not fair. Tenants have rights. If the leasing company won’t budge I’d take them to court too
I would guess they are just seeking damages from the renters since they were both on lease. From a landlord perspective I get it.

It was a man and woman on a lease, it is easy to assume they could be a couple that ended badly (which they were not).

Back
Top Bottom