Home Buying & Real Estate Thread

I think the grease thing gets blown out of proportion. If it’s liquid at room temps what makes you think it magically turns solid in a drain?

Lard or something I’d understand the concern.

Wife/girl/daughter hair is the real destroyer.

I think the grease thing gets blown out of proportion. If it’s liquid at room temps what makes you think it magically turns solid in a drain?

Lard or something I’d understand the concern.

Wife/girl/daughter hair is the real destroyer.
It won't immediately turn solid but it will build up overtime and solidify as well give hair something grab onto in your pipes.

Yeah grease when it dries takes time and hot water to bring its viscosity down enough to eradicate it.

Think about bacon grease left in a pan you have to clean out. Once it hardens / gets cold you have to scrape it.. running hot water across it barely does anything. It’s the same concept except all that would be in your pipes / drains.. and over time it can definitely clog things.

how much you think it costs to change some outlets and switches around the house? I have about 13 outlets and 10 switches with 5 of the switches I want to make dimmers for my recess lights... this handyman said he would charge 200-250 but I would have to buy the parts on my own.. I said can you do it for 200 he said I would have to put the covers back myself... what a joke... on another note I have someone else going to my place tomorrow to give a free estimate

how much you think it costs to change some outlets and switches around the house? I have about 13 outlets and 10 switches with 5 of the switches I want to make dimmers for my recess lights... this handyman said he would charge 200-250 but I would have to buy the parts on my own.. I said can you do it for 200 he said I would have to put the covers back myself... what a joke... on another note I have someone else going to my place tomorrow to give a free estimate
rip-off. been doing electrical and electronic work since grade school and never bothered to hire someone not that efficient on what they are doing.

YouTube is your friend...it's not that hard...just cut the power off before you switch them out.

ya I don't want to take the risk and get electrocuted... had a friend get electrocuted and hasn't been the same since... I'll pay the money as long as its reasonable
I feel you, but if you are just switching them out, it's really simple. Either way, it's not a hard job so make sure you ain't paying someone too much for it

thats why 250 to do the job was OD... the guy said he can do it for 200 if I put the covers back...I can do that on my own but I took it as disrespect like if I'm paying you for a job you better do all of it...one time I had a handyman put a crystal chandelier up and he was like ya I will put it up for you but you have to put on the crystals on your own smh... I ended up doing it but I was like ok I wont use you again... I'm a see tomorrow how the free estimate with another handyman is... Ill let yall know how it goes lol

Last edited:
ya I don't want to take the risk and get electrocuted... had a friend get electrocuted and hasn't been the same since... I'll pay the money as long as its reasonable

Turn the circuit breaker off then flip on the light switch/plug something into the outlet to make sure there's no power and you won't get electrocuted.

Buying a outlet tester/multimeter will work too and can be used for future trouble shooting/other stuff around the house.

Reminds me of this video.

I've seen Gen X and Boomers struggle with GFI outlets/breakers tripping too.

Last edited:
yup. you said it. even guys with experience get electrocuted all the time. not sure how many times I've been it. almost died as a kid getting electrocuted by an exposed wire. burnt/fried a small portion of my palm in the process. got my blinkers turn-off for a few seconds after an outlet blew up on my face. my cousin who is an electronics guy, has now a toasted finger which til this day would still deny the real cause for it. it's not that dangerous as long as you get everything turned off and don't cross the wires.

thats why 250 to do the job was OD... the guy said he can do it for 200 if I put the covers back...I can do that on my own but I took it as disrespect like if I'm paying you for a job you better do all of it...one time I had a handyman put a crystal chandelier up and he was like ya I will put it up for you but you have to put on the crystals on your own smh... I ended up doing it but I was like ok I wont use you again... I'm a see tomorrow how the free estimate with another handyman is... Ill let yall know how it goes lol
250 was a good price for your safety :lol: . 200 ain't bad if you putting the covers back.

so some of yall never stuck a fork in the outlet as a kid huh

but yeah turn the power off and get a receptacle tester from HD.

when i got my place i had to get 80% of my outlets upgraded to 3-prong and grounded

Last edited:
so some of yall never stuck a fork in the outlet as a kid huh

but yeah turn the power off and get a receptacle tester from HD.

when i got my place i had to get 80% of my outlets upgraded to 3-prong and grounded
Upgrading from 2 prong to 3 prong is extra work from a simple switch out, that is if you're gonna ground it correctly.

I changed all my light switches in my home to smart switches with no experience. Just turn the breaker off completely and test before hand.
Cost around $2000 for the whole home, but now the only switches people touch is the bathrooms.

I changed all my light switches in my home to smart switches with no experience. Just turn the breaker off completely and test before hand.
Cost around $2000 for the whole home, but now the only switches people touch is the bathrooms.
How’s that work? They all connected to wifi? Can you link me?

Thanks

Dishwasher **** out and I couldn’t get a Bosch (my favorite) so I got an lg. hopefully it’s good.

I didn’t want to wait, I can’t stand not having a dish washer. Thing flooded my whole basement but it’s unfinished so it’s no big deal.

As far as getting electrocuted I’ve got zapped by electric fences at my boys farm when I didn’t know they were on because he told me they weren’t. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom