Homemade Engagement Ring.

Originally Posted by ThunderChunk69

Originally Posted by ATLien Seeko

Originally Posted by djuzi05

I'm no psychologist, but I can guess you're a pretty miserable person and most definitely single.

Because if you can't see how a girl would appreciate something like that, you got the game all messed up.
 Word. I wouldnt even want to be with a girl that couldnt appreciate something like this. Like dude said, you got the game all messed up.
anything but the rings
the proposal, the wedding (if she agrees), every gift, including anniversary, I would applaud the originality and thought. 

but at the end of the day she wanted a diamond ring and he gave it to her, why not just give her a professional one?

it's like half logic.

EDIT:

I'd be here applauding if she didn't want a ring and he gave her something much more sentimental, but making a ring and adding a diamond rather than buying it isn't sentimental... at all 
laugh.gif
The point isn't the ring. The ring is the physical manifestation of his love for her and the thought he put into it. At the end of the day, I think that most women would prefer something that their fiance/husband made for them rather than just going to the store, spending 20 minutes, and walking out with something.

Crcballer, I agree if the gift was something original(a surprise), it is assumes that she wanted a ring, so he made it.

That's damn near unnaceptable.

There's close to little to no sentiment in making something that someone asked for.

it is assumes that she wanted a ring, so he made it.

Bro. How many guys you than can make, BY HAND, his fiancé's gold engagement ring? I'm sure it's 0.

Did you see how much work he put into it and you're just going to brush it like oh she wanted it, so he made it. It's not a sandwich.

Bro. How many guys you than can make, BY HAND, his fiancé's gold engagement ring? I'm sure it's 0.

Did you see how much work he put into it and you're just going to brush it like oh she wanted it, so he made it. It's not a sandwich.

exactly why it's counterproductive
it wasn't even an original thought... it was just time and effort wasted.

How's it not original thought if it hasn't been done before or, if it has, extremely rarely.

Because its something she asked for... what don't u follow?

I'm no psychologist, but I don't think you've ever given a gift with thought behind it.

Most women don't ask for engagement rings...just the desperate ones who've been strung along for a period of time

Because its something she asked for... what don't u follow?

I'm no psychologist, but I don't think you've ever given a gift with thought behind it.

She didn't ask him to make the ring. He did that on his own. He worked in his garage for like 3 months and told her he was working on his boat. The ring he made is a high quality ring, the same way Tiffany, Jared, etc. rings are made. I can't believe I'm wasting more time on this subject with you. You are one of the most ignorant (stupid) NT'ers I have ever encountered
laugh.gif
smh. This next generation of youth is ridiculous sometimes.

Crcballer, I agree if the gift was something original(a surprise), it is assumes that she wanted a ring, so he made it.

That's damn near unnaceptable.

There's close to little to no sentiment in making something that someone asked for.
From her reaction in the proposal video, it doesn't sound as if she was expecting it any time soon so it was a surprise.

There is also no idea that's original, but he did design the ring by hand which takes some level of talent to do.

To me, this is the same as someone who builds their own computer. You can easily buy one off the shelf, but there is an intangible level of joy you experience when you can look at something and realize that you were able to build it yourself.

Well someone updated with the kindof ring she wanted...

And it doesn't matter, it's assumed she wanted it, it was just a comparison.

Originally Posted by ATLien Seeko

I'm no psychologist, but I can guess you're a pretty miserable person and most definitely single.

Because if you can't see how a girl would appreciate something like that, you got the game all messed up.
 Word. I wouldnt even want to be with a girl that couldnt appreciate something like this. Like dude said, you got the game all messed up.
anything but the rings
the proposal, the wedding (if she agrees), every gift, including anniversary, I would applaud the originality and thought. 

but at the end of the day she wanted a diamond ring and he gave it to her, why not just give her a professional one?

it's like half logic.

EDIT:

I'd be here applauding if she didn't want a ring and he gave her something much more sentimental, but making a ring and adding a diamond rather than buying it isn't sentimental... at all 
laugh.gif
What's your deal man?  You're going real hard on this subject.  You have some serious issues with women or love or something?  Don't try to make it out like you're all alpha or some #!#@ and +#**$#% buy you gifts not the other way around.
Dude wanted to propose, had the ability to make a ring but obviously had to buy a diamond.  They effort he put into it shows how much he loves her when he could have just bought one.  And "she's going to have to tell her family"?  What does that even mean?  I'd think any decent family would appreciate a dude making a ring for their daughter...he put money into it too so it's not like he was cheaping out because he doesn't want to spend anything.

If people are being materialistic and ask her if she knows where he got it, I think more would be impressed that the dude actually made it (okay, since it's a big deal to you, PART of it) than if he just went to some regular old store.

^does going hard = replying when quoted?
and I said I don't mind someone making a gift for ANY other occasion, just not an engagement ring.

it's classless, because in the end all she got was a basic ring, there's 0 sentiment in creating it.

if she was a Lord of the Rings fan and it had the inscription I could see how he took thought in the project... but this is a basic ring.

the thought was... hey, I want to do this as a project.

Congrats on the project and experienced earned, but hand-making a basic ring when someone wanted a basic ring adds 0 novelty to it.

lol thunderchunk what's wrong with you? At the end of the day it's between him and her. I dont think he was sitting around thinking " I wonder what Thunderchunk thinks of this"

Originally Posted by oidreez

lol thunderchunk what's wrong with you? At the end of the day it's between him and her. I dont think he was sitting around thinking " I wonder what Thunderchunk thinks of this"
I didn't reach out to him,
I made a statement and people questioned the motive behind it.

I'm clarifying.

you could say that about alot of things in life though.
why make me dinner and slave for 2 hours when we can just go out and someone else can spend the time doing it.

why make that cake for my birthday when we can just pick one up.

why hand pick out flowers that you've grown in your yard when you can goto 1-800 flowers.

why DIY or custom do ANYTHING when you can pay someone else to do the heavy lifting and hard work for you in life.

rarely is there anything 'original' nowadays and you can certainly 'save' time and effort in alot of areas. what one man chooses to do can be 'wasted' according to him.

Originally Posted by presequel

why make me dinner and slave for 2 hours when we can just go out and someone else can spend the time doing it.

why hand pick out flowers that you've grown in your yard when you can goto 1-800 flowers.

why DIY or custom do ANYTHING when you can pay someone else to do the heavy lifting and hard work for you in life.

rarely is there anything 'original' nowadays and you can certainly 'save' time and effort in alot of areas. what one man chooses to do can be 'wasted' according to him.
...but she wanted a specific item.
getting flowers when they dont ask = thought

cooking dinner unexpectedly = consideration.

if you surprise her with a cake... she'll be ecstatic.

now if your fiance asks for a cake from a famous bakery and you make it at home, that's borderline offensive 
laugh.gif

you're better off just saying no

Originally Posted by crcballer55

Some people don't get that time is more valuable than money. They would much rather just purchase something and go on their way than take a bit of extra time creating something for someone they love.

Bingo!

This isn't a birthday card, she's going to have to tell her family

roll.gif
 You can tell all of that about him by him saying 12 words. Damn you are good. He didn't say that the girl wouldn't appreciate it but I seriously doubt the people in the world would give a damn about him spending his time on the ring. You all seriously underestimate the vanity of these rings. People wear rings for PUBLIC display. So as I said, if nobody else thinks the ring looks good, it will eat at the girl. She can't help it. All she needs is one, "What the hell is that" from someone and she will be in doubt. Simple math. 

Originally Posted by oidreez

laugh.gif
 Huh? This is a topic on a discussion board, it isn't like Thunder went around snooping to find out this info. Come on with the crazy responses yall. 

The difference here is that a ring is something that's sole purpose is to be used as a visual display of the assumed amount of love a man has for a woman. Dinner, cake, flowers, none of that holds that same value. 
I applaud the effort. I do, but I am not sure if the amount of effort here is used in the right scenario. Hell there is a good chance that folks will laugh behind your girl's back because of this. That man will be viewed as cheap no matter how much he spent on it. I doubt the effort will be valued here.

I am not hatin on that man but you just don't know how well this is going to go over with everyone else. And yes, everyone else matters. You buy your woman a ring that she will be proud to show off and tell people about. As shallow as it is that is the truth. But the whole concept of rings is pure vain and shallow so that should be a no-brainer.

Originally Posted by Ruxxx

pimp.gif
My man got that Lacey Duvalle after she saw that.
Thread has been rolling for a couple pages now and NOBODY caught this? 
laugh.gif

Spoiler [+]
step ya'll fap game up

That ring made of meteorite though 
eek.gif

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

The difference here is that a ring is something that's sole purpose is to be used as a visual display of the assumed amount of love a man has for a woman. Dinner, cake, flowers, none of that holds that same value. 
I applaud the effort. I do, but I am not sure if the amount of effort here is used in the right scenario. Hell there is a good chance that folks will laugh behind your girl's back because of this. That man will be viewed as cheap no matter how much he spent on it. I doubt the effort will be valued here.

I am not hatin on that man but you just don't know how well this is going to go over with everyone else. And yes, everyone else matters. You buy your woman a ring that she will be proud to show off and tell people about. As shallow as it is that is the truth. But the whole concept of rings is pure vain and shallow so that should be a no-brainer.

are you both virgins? 
i just asked my girl who is in a room full of other girls about this and they would "absolutely die" if someone did this. both of you are underestimating female's attitude towards sentimental value and what not. i know women who would PROUDLY say that her husband made the diamond engagement ring she's wearing no matter the size. 

Can I ask what being a virgin has to do with anything? Or did you simply feel the need to throw out some sort of insult to validate your response? I thought we were mature here. We were having a simple discussion, we didn't call you names why do that to us?

I know women that would enjoy it as well but as I mentioned earlier, the idea is not as fool proof as some are making it out to be. It can backfire if the people around her don't support the idea. That is all I said, nothing further.

Originally Posted by baseballer10p

Originally Posted by eiddyfouw

I don't know if I can agree with that. 
Almost any woman would go crazy over a man spending that much time actually making a ring that means so much to the woman instead of just spending 10min buying one. 
but for what? not 100% of the ring was made by him. how do you give a gift you "partly" made yourself?

hey babe, I made 80% of this and bought the other 20%

I don't even understand the logic.

either make it all, or don't 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by OneDirection

an engagement ring? For $200? 
laugh.gif

Idk man..... 
in that style... without the diamond... 
eyes.gif

I really don't know what to google but, is this what he "saved"... yet still bought the diamond at retail (assumed) 
eyes.gif

Amazon product ASIN B001AEGSI8
Amazon product ASIN B001AEIM2S
I'd rather he made the ring for himself than present it as a partially homemade gift
i don't think it's about the money man
It's definitely not about the money.

And nobody can make a real diamond. That was a part of the ring just like everything else he had to purchase in order to make it. If a man physically made me an engagement ring you best believe he wouldn't be getting any sleep at all that night, or the next day.
embarassed.gif
devil.gif

Originally Posted by niquefreak94

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

are you both virgins? 
i just asked my girl who is in a room full of other girls about this and they would "absolutely die" if someone did this. both of you are underestimating female's attitude towards sentimental value and what not. i know women who would PROUDLY say that her husband made the diamond engagement ring she's wearing no matter the size. 

See my response above. I'd be smug as hell showing that ring off!

The fact that he took the time to make that ring from scratch (including the intricacies of designing it with that modelling program (which is no easy feat!)) is mind blowing. So what if it's basic?

If a woman hints at what kind of ring she wants most men will buy her the type of ring she's been hinting at if he's wanting to wife her up.

On a side note, I made my mum a card for Mother's Day today and she's @%%%#@% stoked with it. Don't underestimate sentimental value.

We aren't understanding the sentimental value of a CARD. We are underestimating the sentimental value of an engagement ring. As I said I don't think you can compare homemade versions of those items.

Back
Top Bottom