How did the word "PAUSE" come to mean the same as "no +%%@"?

Just thinking about the word... it has nothing to do with what it means. I know you can say that for a lot of other slang but this one always stuck out to me.
nerd.gif

Just thinking about the word... it has nothing to do with what it means. I know you can say that for a lot of other slang but this one always stuck out to me.
nerd.gif

pause was first though
What I would like to know is who or how the term "ayo" become an adjective or noun.

like this or that thing is ayo.  I've never heard it used like that other than on here.

Whenever i've heard it it's always used as an interjection.  You see or hear something shocking

or out of place, your reaction is "
eek.gif
Ayyyyoooo!"  in the form of an interjection.

pause was first though
What I would like to know is who or how the term "ayo" become an adjective or noun.

like this or that thing is ayo.  I've never heard it used like that other than on here.

Whenever i've heard it it's always used as an interjection.  You see or hear something shocking

or out of place, your reaction is "
eek.gif
Ayyyyoooo!"  in the form of an interjection.

Wait, "*%$*" is offensive?

roll.gif
at your dancing spiderman avy

EDIT: Wow, I guess the symbols answered my own question

Wait, "*%$*" is offensive?

roll.gif
at your dancing spiderman avy

EDIT: Wow, I guess the symbols answered my own question

Started in NY.

Cats used to say pause when they said something that sounded suspect. Some hoods played games where if you said something suspect sounding 3 times without saying pause you got beat up by your boys or whatever.

So for clarification cats started saying "no romo" after something that sounded funny or might be taken the wrong way.

"No romo" eventually took on a life of its own.

Started in NY.

Cats used to say pause when they said something that sounded suspect. Some hoods played games where if you said something suspect sounding 3 times without saying pause you got beat up by your boys or whatever.

So for clarification cats started saying "no romo" after something that sounded funny or might be taken the wrong way.

Jay actually talked about "pause" on Reasonable Doubt at the end of Can I Live II*

Anyway, they don't really mean the *same* thing. There's a subtle difference in the correct usage.

Originally Posted by goldenchild9

Started in NY.

So does "pause" actually mean like.. "stop for a second, don't take that as Karamo"?

Originally Posted by goldenchild9

Started in NY.

So does "pause" actually mean like.. "stop for a second, don't take that as Karamo"?

Jay actually talked about "pause" on Reasonable Doubt at the end of Can I Live II*

Anyway, they don't really mean the *same* thing. There's a subtle difference in the correct usage.

Back
Top Bottom