how did u choose ur major or field of work?

odog24

Banned
just looking for some insight on how and why u guys chose what to do?

The profession at the time was booming and I went from a Pre-med major to Information Technology major....SMMFH still from this day.

I could use some insight too! I was an elementary education major before I joined the military, and now that I'm getting ready to go back to school im trying to decide if I want to continue with that, or pursue a nursing degree

Did a Google search for "most lucrative majors" saw accounting/finance and chose it cause it was the easiest one on the list for me

I chose investment banking because:

I wanted to make lots of money as quickly as possible and stack my resume for business school.

I don't think I can be any more candid. Most people don't like the job. Liking your job is irrelevant at our age. When you are under 25, your goal should be to stack credentials and build a stable financial platform to hedge against entrepreneurial risk. You can choose a career once you have the creds.

Started off with engineering just because that's what my parents are and I knew I could easily find a job.

First two years into my major, I landed a co-op and guaranteed job after graduation, turned out I hated it. But through that I developed a huge interest in technology and coding.
Decided on a MIS major because I have a technical background and wanted to expand that into a business landscape.

Right now I'm an IT assistant for a research center on campus, and after graduation I'd like to become a systems consultant or analyst.

my GPA is going up so fast, because I actually have an interest in my classes, which leads to me going and paying attention. Engineering was hard enough, but when you added in the fact that I was completely uninterested in it, it just made it that more difficult.

I chose psychology and philosophy because I always had a knack for listening and helping others out and an insatiable desire to know "why?".

I advise you to look really deep into yourself and really choose something that you truly love doing. If you can't come to that decision, choose something that you wouldn't mind doing. Do a self-check every so often to see if your desire and passions have changed.

The worst that can happen is you minor in one and major in the other or major in both.

I chose business because I actually liked it. Forget whether you believe it'll be the most lucrative, if you actually like what you're doing then major in that area (as long as there is a market for it).

Posting for some insight. Anymore psych majors? If so, why'd you choose that major and what career did you end up with?

i played games everyday
so i chose graphic design
so i could be the one making the games everyone else plays

Started off pre-med, switched to accounting after one semester, graduated with an accounting degree last year and now I work in IT with financial systems..

Choose a major, find some internship/PT job work within that field during school and let life lead you where it may

Majored in Radio, TV, Film cause I always loved radio. Work in sports radio. Its fun, meet alot of cool people, pay and career advancement kind of sucks though.

Originally Posted by ThrowedInDaGame

I wanted to make lots of money as quickly as possible and stack my resume for business school.

I don't think I can be any more candid. Most people don't like the job. Liking your job is irrelevant at our age. When you are under 25, your goal should be to stack credentials and build a stable financial platform to hedge against entrepreneurial risk. You can choose a career once you have the creds.

Where do you work at? I'm interested in ib so I'm curious and have some q's if you don't mind

I'm business savvy, but b-school bored me..
I love to travel, and money is no longer the end all be all.

I chose a route that would land me in a global NGO/humanitarian position, but with my background in business, I have World Bank, Unicef, IMF, United Nations, etc.. in my sights.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

laugh.gif
 youre not giving these dudes the full picture my man.

you dont just say hmmm.... i think i wanna become an investment banker cause i like money and BOOM next thing you know youre a banker.  you failed to mention all the hard work and time you put in during school, competing for one of the few, highly sought after internships, busting your butt as an intern then working 12 hr days 6 days a week once you actually got your foot in the door, etc.. etc..

hell, i love money as much if not more than the next guy, but IB is no joke.  I dont think I have the chops for it myself.

My current gig - credit manager at a sub prime equipment leasing company.

For me, I kinda just fell into it.  I got my degree in Business - MIS but my last year of college I figured out that I hated IS/IT and anything computer related.  Right out of college I started working for an electrical distribution company in a management trainee program.  It sucked balls.  By sheer luck (and a lot of hard work and effort by my then girlfriend and now wife) I found an entry level position as a credit analyst at my current company.  I had no background in leasing and my only exposure to finance was the finance course I had to take as part of my major (since my degree is technically a BS in Business Administration).  I learned on the job and soon came to really enjoy doing finance/lending errrr.... leasing (although what I do is not super sophisticated finance).  8 years later I am still here and still enjoy what I do.  Barring any catastrophic events in my lifetime, I can see myself being one of those old school dudes who only worked at 1 company his entire life out of college and 40+ years later will retire from that same company.

man just do what you love, because money isnt really everything. Find a career in which you find enjoyment in and everything else will come

Originally Posted by Memphis2atl

man just do what you love, because money isnt really everything. Find a career in which you find enjoyment in and everything else will come
i disagree.  while money isnt everything, not having enough of it can create just as much stress and hardship as working at a job you dont particularly care for.  theres another thread that was started today where OP was talkin bout makin $42K/yr after 6 yrs of industry experience doing something he thought he enjoyed.

i think you just need to find a job that you can tolerate without wanting to kill yourself at the end of the day.

of course i want to do something i would enjoy but the things i enjoy are not really jobs because i dont really enjoy to work so that why im lookin for something that is semi enjoyable but will also make me strong financially and would invest money as soon as i start working so by the time im 40 or 50 i can relax and live off my investments

Mlm marketing cuz 1/2 2012 grads r unemployed or underemployed. Screw working for "the man". Entrepreneurship at its finest. Have fun paying off loans for 3 years!!

Originally Posted by danextjordan23

Mlm marketing cuz 1/2 2012 grads r unemployed or underemployed. Screw working for "the man". Entrepreneurship at its finest. Have fun paying off loans for 3 years!!
what do u do?

Back
Top Bottom