How do you feel about people of other ethnicities cooking other cultures foods?

If were talking about food trucks, I seen a lot of white people cooking chinese food/korean food/ indian food. I see mostly latino people cooking in franchises. 

I see no problem as long as it's good. But this Chinese restaurant (Wok Bo) that makes some BBQ...
sick.gif
indifferent.gif

As long as the food is good, I have no problem with it. Cooking good food is a gift that needs to be shared with the world.

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

ElCatfisho wrote:

well if they say it's authentic food, it better be authentic. My family has been to a few Japanese restaurants where it originally tasted great, but the management changed and it just didn't taste as good as it did the first time. 

most people may not recognize the difference (sometimes me) but my parents have a very peculiar sense of taste differentiating between what's actually authentic Japanese food and someone else's interpretation. Alas, the restaurant will be successful if it is palatable enough, which in most cases, it is.
you in socal?

this is rampant in socal.  you got a ton of japanese/sushi restaurants that are run by koreans and even other asian ethnicities.  i'm not saying that all japanese owned japanese/sushi spots are good, but i have yet to find a korean owned sushi restaurant that is on par with a good a good japanese run sushi restaurant.

my pops is an old school korean with a lot of pride in our heritage, but that is one thing he taught me at a very young age.  dont mess with these bootleg korean sushi places.  you want good sushi, go to a japanese owned spot.

This.

I'm not comfortable with americanized chinese food being representative of real chinese food though.

"You like chinese food?"

"Ya man, them chicken balls with the red sauce is bomb!"

30t6p3b.gif

I feel like it's a bastadisation of culture.

Y'all would have no problems with someone from Alaska serving soul food?

I mean even real mexicans gotta feel some way about tex mex

Originally Posted by WaitWut

who the hell cares?
indifferent.gif

and if its good who ever that spot is good
pimp.gif

A lot of people do. I know Mexicans that don't eat at Taco Bell, Chipotle, etc. 

It doesn't matter. As long as the food is right imma be aight (that was corny i kno..)
but i do think that it does make it slightly less authentic.

Originally Posted by 8tothe24

Got to give NT credit, can turn anything into racism. Some of you kids are going to have a really hard time living in the real world.
It's a forum.  We gotta talk about something.  It's a nice civil discussion.  Relax.
I vaguely remember a NT thread talkin about "Your favorite thing to get at a Chinese joint."  Saw a lot of people sayin' fried chicken wings and a couple sayin' French fries. 
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

I thought that was pretty weird, but man I love those lil fast food Chinese spots.  Just know they ain't eatin' this diverse everywhere in the world.  The melting pot here allows for some dope
f5235c65ebf573f38059f18252fd782f6562674.gif
 to happen.

Originally Posted by quik1987

I'm not comfortable with americanized chinese food being representative of real chinese food though.

"You like chinese food?"

"Ya man, them chicken balls with the red sauce is bomb!"

30t6p3b.gif

I feel like it's a bastadisation of culture.

Y'all would have no problems with someone from Alaska serving soul food?

I mean even real mexicans gotta feel some way about tex mex

I mean if the soul food is good then whatever. Why would a Mexican feel any way about Tex mex? @+*! is gross but I doubt it offends anyone.

At first i felt robbed of an authentic dining experience, por ejemplo: Everywhere you go, doesn't matter if its Michelin rated, there's probably a mexican dude working in the kitchen cooking your food. Then I realized how often I actually cook foods from other cultures and I fell back with that mentality. If it's good, and it tastes like it should, then I'm fine

my dad(Laos) went from dishwasher to good sushi chef while working at Yusan sushi in da bay. if the food is good then no complaints.

Some of you kids are going to have a really hard time living in the real world.

See, when your white (assuming that you are European) you always fall back on the 'real world' argument...the real world where white people dominate the planet and drive it half way to hell...THE REAL WORLD.

There's mexicans cooking at my panda express and hawaiian plate lunch spot....

As long as the orange chicken and bbq plates are good $ I ain't eem mad
laugh.gif

Got to give NT credit, can turn anything into racism.
Basically. If you want "authentic" go to the country of its origin.

I wish places were more like New Zealand. Some countries seem so focused on racism, it's ridiculous. Like everything needs to be associated to race and then to an argument and god knows what else. I feel sorry for people of those countries.

Originally Posted by rck2sactown

Originally Posted by DaulDierce

We have some jamaicans who cook chinese food over here.
I know of a few LEGIT places where Chinese folks cook bomb fire Jamaican food
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

has to do with the Chinese ancestry ending up in Jamaica
my mom has a friend that is chinese from Jamaica.  Hearing that patois coming from a little
chinese lady is 
eek.gif

Originally Posted by ServeChilled81

Originally Posted by rck2sactown

Originally Posted by DaulDierce

We have some jamaicans who cook chinese food over here.
I know of a few LEGIT places where Chinese folks cook bomb fire Jamaican food
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

has to do with the Chinese ancestry ending up in Jamaica
my mom has a friend that is chinese from Jamaica.  Hearing that patois coming from a little
chinese lady is 
eek.gif
my dad's friend is 100% sweedish, born and raised in puerto rico.  that accent coming from him.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by DanzInRealLife

Got to give NT credit, can turn anything into racism.
Basically. If you want "authentic" go to the country of its origin.

I wish places were more like New Zealand. Some countries seem so focused on racism, it's ridiculous. Like everything needs to be associated to race and then to an argument and god knows what else. I feel sorry for people of those countries.
Discussion of race is not the same as racism.
Like it or not, the most obviously differentiating traits of human beings tends to be race.  When I see a black person, the first thing I notice is that they're black.  Not because i'm racist, but because their skin color is on the other side of the color spectrum from mine.

Also, in America we label our different foods by their country of origin.  ie Chinese food, Japanese food, Mexican food, Jamaican food, etc etc.  We refer to the foods by race, why wouldn't we associate them with race?

There's nothing more awkward than taking things that are already associated with race and pretending that they're not.

Back
Top Bottom