How do you non-tippers handle gratuity or eating w/ a large group?

I'm sure prices on menus would raise too 

they dont get that.

just raise the price of food, we can see all these so called "ballas" and dudes with money that love to go out and spend money but not tip.

your meal is gonna cost double or triple that.

When I'm with a group with known non-tipping cheap bastards, I always ask for a separate check.

Avoid the headaches all together.

Don't want to be seen as a bad tipper, especially at places that I frequent.

it really comes down to class no matter how you look at it. i think the tucked shirt analogy was a pretty good one to be honest.

At the end of the day there is literally no one in this thread who refuse to tip that would be taken serious in the eyes of prestigious, powerful, wealthy, important individuals. your boss would likely look at you as a ******g joke. unless your boss is a finishline manager then i understand. like others have said why would i invite a friend who is going to embarrass me because he thinks the social norm is bs and doesn't understand the process or experience of dining out. If you want to pay in pennies to a top of the line restaurant then by all means, but you eating by yourself fam. Or someone who thinks dress shoes are corny so they want to go to a wedding in jordans... :lol:

like i was raised to succeed, some of yall parents just left yall hanging. Are yall even versed in table etiquette ?

actually that gives me some questions to those that don't tip :

"do you make sure all women enter a doorway before you walk in? do you let the women sit before you sit at your table? do you fold and place your napkin on your lap? do you eat with your elbows on or off the table? are you leaning to your sip your drink or do you move your drink to you?"

tldr; i'm better than you, not cause i have more money but because i was raised with manners and class. grow up and learn how to function in this world.

Last edited:
Not really TIPPING, but I hate going out to eat with a large group and the "group" determines that everyone should put in an even amount to split the bill. I am always SOL because I only get water, usually don't get a high priced item, and don't drink. I hate that.

Separate checks as far as groups.
Once I discovered what gratuity was I simply avoid places that add it in. It is smart though, if you want me to support these poor waiters/waitresses/servers you better add in to the overall bill. The way I see it they should just raise the price of food and pay their employees more.
Those ppl willing to work for that much are idiots to begin with. Sounds like immigrants are getting paid more than dumb *** servers. Smarten up.
Wow.............:lol:

15% tip will make prices triple? 0]
#DATMAFF

you pay per Establishment partna.

idk if you do all your fine dinning at McDonalds but obviously if you got to high end steak house or restaurant, they arent gonna be making min wage papi.

I dont tip. Sometimes, i dont pay in general. But, hey, what can you do?
wink.gif

Here we go again :smh:

*mj popcorn gif*

To the guys who don't tip: I hope you catch food poisoning.
Scumbag SonOfTony :smh: Once again we got somebody on the side of tipping wishing ill to those who don't. It's clear yall are the ones with the problem. Dudes out here so concerned about how others operate they can't help but be filled with that vitriol cuz it doesn't align with what they think. Sorry that you're not a reasonable person, go ahead and be illogical.

I honestly don't see what ppl don't like about these threads. If you don't want to be involved with the topic, don't enter it, don't post in it. I'm just thinking ppl are feeling some type of way cuz there's a group of ppl with a legit reason for why they don't tip.
:lol: at the people making the comparison of servers to teachers & wal-mart CSRs. teachers and the like accept their salary as is without expecting a tip on top of their offered salaries; waiters & waitresses accept their offered wages with an expected amount of tip to supplement that. completely different situations.
It's clear as day with this limited thinking servers will continued to get screwed over. Them fools need to unionize.

You got ppl thinking tipping is mandatory with this thinking. Who wants a job where it's expected and not guaranteed that the customers not your employer has to pay the majority of your salary? What that standard of living like?

This is just another sick ailment engrained in society and when ppl don't mess with they're getting called meaningless names in attempt to shame them in to conforming. I'll be all the names you want to call me with this kind of flawed reasoning.

Last edited:
it really comes down to class no matter how you look at it. i think the tucked shirt analogy was a pretty good one to be honest.
At the end of the day there is literally no one in this thread who refuse to tip that would be taken serious in the eyes of prestigious, powerful, wealthy, important individuals. your boss would likely look at you as a ******g joke. unless your boss is a finishline manager then i understand. like others have said why would i invite a friend who is going to embarrass me because he thinks the social norm is bs and doesn't understand the process or experience of dining out. If you want to pay in pennies to a top of the line restaurant then by all means, but you eating by yourself fam. Or someone who thinks dress shoes are corny so they want to go to a wedding in jordans...
laugh.gif

like i was raised to succeed, some of yall parents just left yall hanging. Are yall even versed in table etiquette ?
actually that gives me some questions to those that don't tip :
"do you make sure all women enter a doorway before you walk in? do you let the women sit before you sit at your table? do you fold and place your napkin on your lap? do you eat with your elbows on or off the table? are you leaning to your sip your drink or do you move your drink to you?"
tldr; i'm better than you, not cause i have more money but because i was raised with manners and class. grow up and learn how to function in this world.
I dont tip, wear suits all the time or fit the corporate world... so despite the fact that i own my house, not on some ill be paying a mortgage for decades, and own my own business im a loser in society. Well i guess i should give all that up tip, dress in gq everyday tapdance, shuck and jive, work a 9-5, make a life goal of making others rich and comfortable, while living subpar and decent, pay on a house for years and years, spend a quarter of my year salary on a single day/event to somehow prove to a woman i really love her, and continously live a boring and mudane life until im old and weary and then after pleasing and living my life for all and everyone finally enjoy life and do things that appease and please me shortly before i kick the bucket.

I mean you may want to do that and thats great and dont knock it at all, if thats your goal, kudos, i hope you can get mass social acceptance from all ppl, a ultimatley please a boss, a corporation and make them billions someday. If the social thumbs up is what motivates you and he cornerstone of your existence and a vital reason for you living thats cool.

But to say because other ppl dont follow suite (no pun) and are somehow less of a person, makes you in actually seem as classless etc... as much as those that you are looking down, frowning upon. 

Not everyone in the world wants to be apart of the good ole boys club, or tries to follow the crowd, or try to get in where they fit in. If your basis and existence is based on social acceptance of others, and you base your life on others to please others, are you really an individual or your own person at all. Seems to me like you arent and just a carbon copy of the rest. But unlike you im not going to redicule, ostricize, or say that i am a better person than you because of it.

Like the saying goes you do you and let others do them. But this whole notion of hey im a follower, i do whatever society says i should do, im all about pleasing, fitting a mold, and if your not your somehow wrong etc... or less of. Is the same mindset that breeds prejudice, racism, classism etc... Not saying that you are any of those things cause i dont know you, but your comments and reasoning for why you think and do what you do coupled with your views of others who arent inline with your actions and train of thought follows the same basis as those that breed the aforemention mindsets.

At the end of the day there is literally no one in this thread who refuse to tip that would be taken serious in the eyes of prestigious, powerful, wealthy, important individuals. your boss would likely look at you as a ******g joke. unless your boss is a finishline manager then i understand.
You do understand that some folks don't give a flying _ _ _ _ as to what their boss thinks of them outside of the work-week? Everyone doesn't care about that stuff man.

At the end of the day there is literally no one in this thread who refuse to tip that would be taken serious in the eyes of prestigious, powerful, wealthy, important individuals. your boss would likely look at you as a ******g joke. unless your boss is a finishline manager then i understand.
You do understand that some folks don't give a flying _ _ _ _ as to what their boss thinks of them outside of the work-week? Everyone doesn't care about that stuff man.
It's extra irrelevant. It's sad some ppl live their lives based on what other ppl think of them, even worse ppl with money or power held in high regard that literally do not pay them any mind unless it benefits them. I mean damn put things in perspective. You nothing to them either way, you think a Rothschild gonna differentiate the average citizen that tips from the one that doesn't? :lol:

Scumbag SonOfTony
mean.gif
Once again we got somebody on the side of tipping wishing ill to those who don't. It's clear yall are the ones with the problem. Dudes out here so concerned about how others operate they can't help but be filled with that vitriol cuz it doesn't align with what they think. Sorry that you're not a reasonable person, go ahead and be illogical.
I honestly don't see what ppl don't like about these threads. If you don't want to be involved with the topic, don't enter it, don't post in it. I'm just thinking ppl are feeling some type of way cuz there's a group of ppl with a legit reason for why they don't tip.
It's clear as day with this limited thinking servers will continued to get screwed over. Them fools need to unionize.
You got ppl thinking tipping is mandatory with this thinking. Who wants a job where it's expected and not guaranteed that the customers not your employer has to pay the majority of your salary? What that standard of living like?
This is just another sick ailment engrained in society and when ppl don't mess with they're getting called meaningless names in attempt to shame them in to conforming. I'll be all the names you want to call me with this kind of flawed reasoning.
Scumbag SonOfTony
mean.gif
Once again we got somebody on the side of tipping wishing ill to those who don't. It's clear yall are the ones with the problem. Dudes out here so concerned about how others operate they can't help but be filled with that vitriol cuz it doesn't align with what they think. Sorry that you're not a reasonable person, go ahead and be illogical.
exactly and these said ppl as i said before who are so so concerned with these poor individuals working conditions, and poor wages.... are doing what exactly....? They are feeding the troll by supporting and patronizing said establishments... Again where are all these so called concerned ppl at as far as trying to raise the wages for servers/bartenders etc...? can hear a rat pisssin on cotton. I hate when ppl do something to please others for some self gratification, or to fit in some social norm etc... and then justify it by saying im doing a good deed etc... Not to stereotype but these are the same ppl who do charity work, not enough to make a difference but just enough to give the illusion they are making a difference, but in reality for some college creds/requirements or to fit in get in good with a certain group of ppl ala like fraternities/sororities... or those ppl who donate to make themselves feel good, be seen by others as they are a caring person, when in actually its all to do what others they want to fit in with do, or as a tax right off.

It's extra irrelevant. It's sad some ppl live their lives based on what other ppl think of them, even worse ppl with money or power held in high regard that literally do not pay them any mind unless it benefits them. I mean damn put things in perspective. You nothing to them either way, you think a Rothschild gonna differentiate the average citizen that tips from the one that doesn't? :lol:

but we aint talking about the rothschild. we talking about why you guys dont tip? im reading this thread and the only reason that im getting from why yall dont tip is because its the servers fault that they took the job. you dont want to spend your hard earned dollar to the server thats fine, us server remembers those who tips or not, and if you fall in that latter category 9 out of 10 we get payback one way or another.

but we aint talking about the rothschild. we talking about why you guys dont tip? im reading this thread and the only reason that im getting from why yall dont tip is because its the servers fault that they took the job. you dont want to spend your hard earned dollar to the server thats fine, us server remembers those who tips or not, and if you fall in that latter category 9 out of 10 we get payback one way or another.
Are you blind? Do you not see what post I'm replying too?

This thread is not about why we don't tip btw, that was the last thread. This is about what do ppl who don't tip do about gratuity and dining with groups. I answered that. You must have some problem with reading comprehension if what you just posted is the reason you're seeing in here. That's just the response to ppl saying the tip is what servers rely on more than their paychecks.

I don't tip because I don't want to. It is not my concern or obligation to pay someone for doing their job. I'm paying for my meal. I'm not even really paying for their service. If they'd let me, I'd write down what I want, hand it to the chef, refill my own drinks, and then pick up my meal when it's ready. There is no good reason why I should tip.

People like you accept that servers get paid criminally low wages and now feel entitled to the customers covering the majority of your salary. It's so delusional it's sickening. You're talking about remembering what customers that don't tip instead of your boss that doesn't pay you adequately for doing your job. Then because of that twisted sense of entitlement and misplaced anger you talk about getting payback on those customers if they ever return. That is the thought process and behavior of a scumbag. Pure and simple. It's beyond childish. By saying that you just prove that you deserve no tip and to be paid next to nothing. People like you have poor moral character.

Last edited:
I treat tipping the same way I do tucking in my shirt at work (I work in a lab). I dont like it. I dont even believe I should have to do it, but at the end of the day its the socially accepted thing to do so I just do it. In a large group I contribute my share of the agreed upon tip.
I never liked being the idea of tipping, so I generally pick up my own pizza and park my own car at events. But there are times when it cant be avoided, so I just deal with it
This is exactly how I feel/am
I walk out and hope that my walk doesn't turn into a sprint.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
This thread is not about why we don't tip btw, that was the last thread. This is about what do ppl who don't tip do about gratuity and dining with groups. I answered that. You must have some problem with reading comprehension if what you just posted is the reason you're seeing in here. That's just the response to ppl saying the tip is what servers rely on more than their paychecks.
I don't tip because I don't want to. It is not my concern or obligation to pay someone for doing their job. I'm paying for my meal. I'm not even really paying for their service. If they'd let me, I'd write down what I want, hand it to the chef, refill my own drinks, and then pick up my meal when it's ready. There is no good reason why I should tip.
People like you accept that servers get paid criminally low wages and now feel entitled to the customers covering the majority of your salary. It's so delusional it's sickening. You're talking about remembering what customers that don't tip instead of your boss that doesn't pay you adequately for doing your job. Then because of that twisted sense of entitlement and misplaced anger you talk about getting payback on those customers if they ever return. That is the thought process and behavior of a scumbag. Pure and simple. It's beyond childish. By saying that you just prove that you deserve no tip and to be paid next to nothing. People like you have poor moral character.
just another example of misplaced hate,,,, especially with ppl who work in this industry/or former ppl who worked in this industry field... i dont have the courage to stand up whats right, dont have the skills/knowledge etc to move up or move on to a different position. stuck like chuck and frustrated with a situation, and to be blunt dont have the balls to stand up to the person who is oppressing you, or advocate make a change... so ill just lash my frustrations out on others. kinda reminds me of children who know they are in the right, and feel they cant speak out to an adult (parents/teachers etc...) and instead of doing so they take it out on another child. even if all ppl tip, in the grand scheme of things its the employer along with other entities that set the working conditions, and the low wages. Yall never get anywhere with this "shoot the messenger" mentality.

I mean when you just flat out say it for what it is a server is mad that they have poor working conditions etc... in comparison to pay, and low pay wages,,, things that arent in any facet related to the customer, yet expects the customer to solve these issues, or make up the difference as oppose to the ppl who made the poor working conditions and low pay wages. And how exactly does this make sense? Better yet has the so called past time of tipping change the wages/working condition? To repeatedly do the same thing expecting different results is the definition of a insane and foolish person.

So we not doing something simply because we see no point in it and has a proven track record of not working, and has never worked, we are the stupid ones... Yet the ppl who do the same thing continously going in knowing that it has failed and never has worked and never will work are somehow deemed not foolish and not stupid.

Yea it all makes sense now.

After reading the entire thread, I have been swayed into agreeing with Master Zik and shoelysses

The bolded part - I have always thought this way, and have noticed A LOT more places like this popping up. Just walk inside, tell the cook what you want, sit down, and walk back to the counter when its ready. It's weird because I don't tip these dudes/families that open up places like this (they usually have the BEST food too) - hell, they usually don't even have tipping "jars" - but maybe I should.

The more I think about it the more I realize that I've been going to a lot more mom and pop type new shops/food trucks where I don't worry about a tip/it's not common

I like those places

Last edited:
End of the day some of you come across as very selfish. The tip isn't the issue here its the mindset you guys have as if your better then the server or that he or she is below you just because their waiting tables for whatever reason. If people don't want to tip then hey whatever nothing said is going to change that mindset of yours but to come across as if your better then someone waiting tables is very shallow.

You can't force someone to do something that's optional though and fault does lie within the industry as well, either charge mandatory gratuity and you'll lose the business of customers that don't believe in tipping which wouldn't be a big loss, do what California does and pay the waiters state minimum wage, or give them a better wage at the expense of raising the prices on food an abolish tipping.

My question for the non tippers is though if all the restaurants around your way raised food prices in order to cover better employee wages at the expense of raising food prices would you still eat at these spots. Tipping would be abolished but your paying 25-30% more for your food

Back
Top Bottom