How does this make you feel

If it made us feel any kinda way we would stop buying any form of technology, cars, etc

yeah.. but I mean everything at one point or another ages and becomes dysfunctional..

kind of messed up....but it's business. If you make something that'll last a lifetime, then that's one less customer down the road.

"Supporters claim it drives technological advances and contributes to material well-being. They claim that a market structure of planned obsolescence and rapid innovation may be preferred to long-lasting products and slow innovation." This is a good point.

that wikipedia is 
pimp.gif

Ive been sayin this for years
Apple has the next ipod/ipad/iphone etc. planned out for the next 10 years but they only release them one at a time

already knew about this, they probably have the iphone 10 ready . Its really smart in terms of buisness. Obviously they aren't going to make quality products that last forever or else they won't make anymore money once everyone had already bought one . its the same thing with sports video games that come out each year, they could just as easily release a game every few years and make big upgrades instead they fiddle around with crap and slap a 60$ price sticker on it and people buy it year after year. As a consumer it sucks but from a business perspective I can see why they do such things

The video game industry been on top of this. Why do you think these newer systems die so easily.

Yeah I was aware of this as well.

Believe it or not YOU can have an impact on how long these things last by taking care of them.

laugh.gif
Of course that doesn't go for everything and eventually these things will just kick the bucket,however you can extend the life of a product beyond how long they say it should last.

People in the tech field have known about this forever and a day. Dell is was the worst crook, too. Apple took over that spot. I have conflicting opinions about it.

+
It helps drive companies to produce and manufacture based on better concepts and designs (they don't necessarily execute that, in between cheap materials and what have you.) Companies know now that if they don't put innovation at the forefront of their business model, they will fall by the wayside (look at RIM/Blackberry.)

-
It absolutely sucks for the consumer. Even if you buy that brand new smartphone, laptop, or car at the time of its release, you know that it will be at most a year (or two) that the company comes out with a new design. Not only that, but when you do buy that product, you know you'll have to spend the extra money on insurance because more likely than not, something will go wrong with it.

In general, I hate it because it means more money is coming out of my pocket. But at the end of the day, I am choosing to spend my money on these products so I can only blame myself. I don't need the next Nexus line phone... but you can bet your bottom dollar that I will have it because I want it.

I always wondered if manufacturers did this. I just thought it was all in my head. I guess I was wrong.

Learned about this in government in 12th grade years back

Thats why I buy vintage, cuz its already outdated.

Just buy the tech that you need and pretend that the new tech doesn't exist.

Originally Posted by iYen

Yup. Keeps you from being a slave to a degree but when they update like %%@@*+% adobe like they do with the CS family it's unfair but what can you do if you need new features for work.

OPEN SOURCE FOR LIFE!!! SHARE!

Originally Posted by iYen

i dont pretend, but i like my bb, but all my friends have iphones....they cool and all, but i got what i need. so ehh.

Yep, knew about this since 11th grade.
Thats when I buy anything from tech gadgets to shoes and clothes. I'm very picky of the build quality and always but hi-end. However some companies are still known for this.

There's a video about this somewhere along the lines of the spirit science videos. We had a discussion about this in my econ
course I believe. It's bound to happen with this greedy consumer driven system we're on.

Back
Top Bottom