How long before MMA over takes boxing in the sports landscape?

Just thought I would throw this in here too.

Manny Pacquiao vs. Joshua Clottey
March 13, 2010

The fight was rewarded with a paid crowd of 36,371 and a gate of $6,359,985, according to post-fight tax reports filed with Texas boxing regulators. Counting complimentary tickets delivered to sponsors, media outlets and others, the Dallas fight attracted 41,843, well short of the 50,994 that was previously announced, but still an epic number for boxing.

Georges St-Pierre vs. Jake Shields
April 30, 2011

UFC officials had originally planned for the Rogers Centre to be configured to hold 42,000 fans for UFC 129. The UFC put those tickets on sale to UFC Fight Club members in a special pre-sale on February 10, 2011, selling nearly all of them. They released and sold more tickets the following day to UFC newsletter subscribers in a second special pre-sale. UFC 129 then sold out when tickets went on sale to the general public on February 12, with officials scrambling to up the number of seats to 55,000. Selling out all 55,000 tickets for gate revenues exceeding $11 million, the event shatters both MMA attendance and gate records in North America.

Attendance was 55,724

Boxing doesn't need a heavyweight to make boxing exciting there are plenty of matches to be made at 126, 140 and up.

I don't like heavyweights the media just wants an exciting heavyweight, but the real fights are at the lower weight classes.

Boxing doesn't need a heavyweight to make boxing exciting there are plenty of matches to be made at 126, 140 and up.

I don't like heavyweights the media just wants an exciting heavyweight, but the real fights are at the lower weight classes.

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

Why do you think so?

In the 90's we saw an amazing heavyweight class and it proved to put boxing high in the ratings. To get those same fans back, who remember the heavyweight class being amazing, you'll have to get some top tier HW competition.
A competitive HW division would go a long way but its not boxing's biggest problem.

Sanctioning bodies, belts, promoters beefing, and HBO providing lucrative television deals to unproven fighters are among them.

Some of boxing's biggest fights and possibly best era was from the lower weight divisions when Hagler, Hearns, Leonard, and Duran were all going at it. Plain and simple, the best fights need to be made, not just Pac/PBF.

Originally Posted by quik1987

Honestly, I find it more impressive that a fight between a filipino and african fighter drew 40,000+ to Cowboys stadium.

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

Why do you think so?

In the 90's we saw an amazing heavyweight class and it proved to put boxing high in the ratings. To get those same fans back, who remember the heavyweight class being amazing, you'll have to get some top tier HW competition.
A competitive HW division would go a long way but its not boxing's biggest problem.

Sanctioning bodies, belts, promoters beefing, and HBO providing lucrative television deals to unproven fighters are among them.

Some of boxing's biggest fights and possibly best era was from the lower weight divisions when Hagler, Hearns, Leonard, and Duran were all going at it. Plain and simple, the best fights need to be made, not just Pac/PBF.

Honestly, I find it more impressive that a fight between a filipino and african fighter drew 40,000+ to Cowboys stadium.

UFC officials had originally planned for the Rogers Centre to be configured to hold 42,000 fans for UFC 129. The UFC put those tickets on sale to UFC Fight Club members in a special pre-sale on February 10, 2011, selling nearly all of them. They released and sold more tickets the following day to UFC newsletter subscribers in a second special pre-sale. UFC 129 then sold out when tickets went on sale to the general public on February 12, with officials scrambling to up the number of seats to 55,000. Selling out all 55,000 tickets for gate revenues exceeding $11 million, the event shatters both MMA attendance and gate records in North America.

March 13, 2010

The fight was rewarded with a paid crowd of 36,371 and a gate of $6,359,985, according to post-fight tax reports filed with Texas boxing regulators. Counting complimentary tickets delivered to sponsors, media outlets and others, the Dallas fight attracted 41,843, well short of the 50,994 that was previously announced, but still an epic number for boxing.

April 30, 2011

Attendance was 55,724
Your argument is so flawed it's ridiculous.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Yeah, the GSP fight there was more in attendance. But that was also held at the Rogers Centre in Ontario.

Manny Pacquiao sold 40,000 tickets in a country he's not even from, with him fighting Joshua Clottey who has a fanbase of literally 1 person. 
laugh.gif

Some of you MMA cats don't seem to surprise me with your stupidity. 

March 13, 2010

April 30, 2011

Attendance was 55,724
Your argument is so flawed it's ridiculous.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Yeah, the GSP fight there was more in attendance. But that was also held at the Rogers Centre in Ontario.

Manny Pacquiao sold 40,000 tickets in a country he's not even from, with him fighting Joshua Clottey who has a fanbase of literally 1 person. 
laugh.gif

Some of you MMA cats don't seem to surprise me with your stupidity. 

Nice edit, try reading son,

it was at the ROGERS CENTRE in TORONTO. I'm stupid
eyes.gif
And?
I admit I did read it wrong.

I read the Bell Centre. 

Still doesn't change the fact that your argument is flawed son.

Nice edit, try reading son,

it was at the ROGERS CENTRE in TORONTO. I'm stupid
eyes.gif
And?
I admit I did read it wrong.

I read the Bell Centre. 

Still doesn't change the fact that your argument is flawed son.

You wrote "Bell Centre in MONTREAL" like you were genius though.

There are tons of mexicans in Texas, yet Margarito did worse numbers at cowboys stadium.

There are tons of mexicans in Texas, yet Margarito did worse numbers at cowboys stadium.

Manny Pacquiao turned a three-time world titleholder who outweighed him by 17 pounds when they entered the ring into a pathetic punching bag, easily outpointing Antonio Margarito on Saturday before 41,734 at Cowboys Stadium.

http://ringtv.craveonline.com/blog/124697-pacquaio-pummels-margarito

Manny Pacquiao turned a three-time world titleholder who outweighed him by 17 pounds when they entered the ring into a pathetic punching bag, easily outpointing Antonio Margarito on Saturday before 41,734 at Cowboys Stadium.

Originally Posted by therickstah2001

I guess Margarito has the same amount of fans as Clottey

BTW incase you don't know, Cowboys stadium has a seating capacity, of 80,000 normal operation, 100,000 if necessary.

Rogers Centre SOLD OUT, and still had 14,000 more people.

BTW incase you don't know, Cowboys stadium has a seating capacity, of 80,000 normal operation, 100,000 if necessary.

Rogers Centre SOLD OUT, and still had 14,000 more people.

uhh no.
It shows Pacquiao sold 39,999 tickets and the other ticket was the lone Clottey fan.

uhh no.
It shows Pacquiao sold 39,999 tickets and the other ticket was the lone Clottey fan.

uhh no.

Don't call anyone stupid ever again unless you staring at your reflection.

uhh no.

uhh no.

Your stupid.
quik1987 is stupid

uhh no.

Your stupid.
quik1987 is stupid

uhh no.

Your stupid.
quik1987 is stupid

You're

try again.

uhh no.

Your stupid.
quik1987 is stupid

You're

try again.

Back
Top Bottom