How long before MMA over takes boxing in the sports landscape?

I'm not going to get into this dead horse argument because I think both serve their purpose and both can feed off each other as show by writers of both attend the others' sports and appreciate the others' sport but if you guys think boxing is dead turn to Showtime and watch the main event.

Boxing is easily my favorite of the two, but it's got a steep hill to climb to overcome.

It could start by a Pacquaio/Mayweather fight...Make that a trilogy, but that won't even be nearly enough.

No matter what, Top boxers usually fight once a year. Twice if we're lucky. There just aren't enough top name boxers to fill a card every month the way MMA does.

Also, as I'm sure mentioned before, boxing will have a very hard time to pull its heavyweights away from the NFL. That's probably where all your top heavyweights are...Or could be. It's just much more mainstream to be an NFL player than a boxer and HS athletes probably feel they have not only a better chance at the NFL, but seek the fame and fortune that comes with being a player/star in Americas mainstream sport.

Boxing is easily my favorite of the two, but it's got a steep hill to climb to overcome.

It could start by a Pacquaio/Mayweather fight...Make that a trilogy, but that won't even be nearly enough.

No matter what, Top boxers usually fight once a year. Twice if we're lucky. There just aren't enough top name boxers to fill a card every month the way MMA does.

Also, as I'm sure mentioned before, boxing will have a very hard time to pull its heavyweights away from the NFL. That's probably where all your top heavyweights are...Or could be. It's just much more mainstream to be an NFL player than a boxer and HS athletes probably feel they have not only a better chance at the NFL, but seek the fame and fortune that comes with being a player/star in Americas mainstream sport.

Boxing is such a joke right now.
30t6p3b.gif

I grew up mainly watching boxing, but it has taken a severe downturn since my childhood. This occurred to me while watching this bum Stiverne almost lose a fight to old $@$ Ray Austin. For the "WBC Silver Title"
roll.gif
indifferent.gif
. Heavyweight bouts have turned into epic hugfests.

There are very few competitive boxing matches these days. You know something is wrong when the lines of title fights are numbers like -1500 and -1100.

I'll still continue to watch both sports, but MMA is much more interesting to me because of the match ups and how different styles make fights.

30t6p3b.gif

I grew up mainly watching boxing, but it has taken a severe downturn since my childhood. This occurred to me while watching this bum Stiverne almost lose a fight to old $@$ Ray Austin. For the "WBC Silver Title"
roll.gif
indifferent.gif
. Heavyweight bouts have turned into epic hugfests.

There are very few competitive boxing matches these days. You know something is wrong when the lines of title fights are numbers like -1500 and -1100.

I'll still continue to watch both sports, but MMA is much more interesting to me because of the match ups and how different styles make fights.

Originally Posted by an dee 51o

30t6p3b.gif

roll.gif
indifferent.gif
. Heavyweight bouts have turned into epic hugfests.ELECTRO

Isn't it like this in boxing to..
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by an dee 51o

30t6p3b.gif

roll.gif
indifferent.gif
. Heavyweight bouts have turned into epic hugfests.ELECTRO

Isn't it like this in boxing to..
indifferent.gif

MMA will always be a joke to me... i guess because its not a real sport and just made up... but i will admit it is more popular than boxing today... then again fans that like MMA and not boxing is because they just want to see someone get whopped instead there being a strategy behind it... what im saying is fans rather see a knockout in boxing and if there isn't one its boring so they just watch MMA instead...

MMA will always be a joke to me... i guess because its not a real sport and just made up... but i will admit it is more popular than boxing today... then again fans that like MMA and not boxing is because they just want to see someone get whopped instead there being a strategy behind it... what im saying is fans rather see a knockout in boxing and if there isn't one its boring so they just watch MMA instead...

^ MMA isn't a real sport and its made up? How so? MMA is an element of many sports combined, including boxing. It's sanctioned by about 46 states. and the UFC even covers full health insurance for all their fighters. That's insane.

And I also disagree with your comment about MMA just want to see someone get whopped and there being no strategy. If anything, there's more strategy that goes into an MMA fight because not only do you have to worry about punches, you have to worry about kicks, the clinch, take down defense, ground and pound, wrestling, and jujitsu.

^ MMA isn't a real sport and its made up? How so? MMA is an element of many sports combined, including boxing. It's sanctioned by about 46 states. and the UFC even covers full health insurance for all their fighters. That's insane.

And I also disagree with your comment about MMA just want to see someone get whopped and there being no strategy. If anything, there's more strategy that goes into an MMA fight because not only do you have to worry about punches, you have to worry about kicks, the clinch, take down defense, ground and pound, wrestling, and jujitsu.

Originally Posted by you go boy

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
 This has to be one of the most idiotic things i've ever read.

Well said Chino.

I enjoy both sports but i think MMA is a much more dynamic sport at this moment.

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
 This has to be one of the most idiotic things i've ever read.

Well said Chino.

I enjoy both sports but i think MMA is a much more dynamic sport at this moment.

How do you differentiate between a "real" sport and a "made up" sport?
eyes.gif

How do you differentiate between a "real" sport and a "made up" sport?
eyes.gif

Back
Top Bottom