How long before MMA over takes boxing in the sports landscape?

Originally Posted by Demps

^
whats your point?

kimbo-slice_ray-mercer.gif

Originally Posted by you go boy

MMA will always be a joke to me... i guess because its not a real sport and just made up...   
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
 this is why i dont usually comment in threads like these

the moron-levels are astronomical

MMA will always be a joke to me... i guess because its not a real sport and just made up...   
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
 this is why i dont usually comment in threads like these

the moron-levels are astronomical

If pacman vs mayweather doesn't happen in this calendar year the sport is dead...

boxing NEEDS a heavyweight star (Kithko aint gonna do it)

If pacman vs mayweather doesn't happen in this calendar year the sport is dead...

Originally Posted by rayray3thousand

PBF/Pac is not happening this year.

And the notion that boxing needs a HW star is a big misconception. 

Originally Posted by EAGLE 0N

Why do you think so?

In the 90's we saw an amazing heavyweight class and it proved to put boxing high in the ratings. To get those same fans back, who remember the heavyweight class being amazing, you'll have to get some top tier HW competition.

Why do you think so?

In the 90's we saw an amazing heavyweight class and it proved to put boxing high in the ratings. To get those same fans back, who remember the heavyweight class being amazing, you'll have to get some top tier HW competition.

I was (and still am) a boxing fan. However, MMA to me is so much more entertaining. There are a few things that the UFC has that boxing never will - one big organization, a successful reality show (although TUF has gone downhill as of late), and a true figure head (Dana White).

Put it this way - if Manny and Floyd were both UFC fighters, they would have a huge buildup to the fight and the fight would actually happen. Dana and Joe Silva are about giving the fans the fights they want to see...boxing is only operating for the money.

I was (and still am) a boxing fan. However, MMA to me is so much more entertaining. There are a few things that the UFC has that boxing never will - one big organization, a successful reality show (although TUF has gone downhill as of late), and a true figure head (Dana White).

Put it this way - if Manny and Floyd were both UFC fighters, they would have a huge buildup to the fight and the fight would actually happen. Dana and Joe Silva are about giving the fans the fights they want to see...boxing is only operating for the money.

Panties
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

And MMA will never "over take" boxing. Boxing has been around too long. Too much big tome money invested.in it.I am a fan of both if it matters.

Panties
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

And MMA will never "over take" boxing. Boxing has been around too long. Too much big tome money invested.in it.I am a fan of both if it matters.

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

Why do you think so?

THIS
the HW provides the possibility of a knock out... with UFC you are guarantee'd to see a KO every PPV event.  The common fan wants to be entertained, not watch a long drawn out fight where nobody gets KO'd

Every sport has gone through issues like this - 

Baseball - Steroid drama to hit more home runs

Football - harder hits (helmet to helmet controversy), letting "holding" penalties go so the QB has more time to air out the long ball to receivers

Basketball - illegal defense rules to promote higher scoring

Boxing NEEDS heavyweights to deliver entertainment or else the majority fan base is going to UFC

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

Why do you think so?

THIS
the HW provides the possibility of a knock out... with UFC you are guarantee'd to see a KO every PPV event.  The common fan wants to be entertained, not watch a long drawn out fight where nobody gets KO'd

Every sport has gone through issues like this - 

Baseball - Steroid drama to hit more home runs

Football - harder hits (helmet to helmet controversy), letting "holding" penalties go so the QB has more time to air out the long ball to receivers

Basketball - illegal defense rules to promote higher scoring

Boxing NEEDS heavyweights to deliver entertainment or else the majority fan base is going to UFC

Just thought I would throw this in here too.

Manny Pacquiao vs. Joshua Clottey
March 13, 2010

The fight was rewarded with a paid crowd of 36,371 and a gate of $6,359,985, according to post-fight tax reports filed with Texas boxing regulators. Counting complimentary tickets delivered to sponsors, media outlets and others, the Dallas fight attracted 41,843, well short of the 50,994 that was previously announced, but still an epic number for boxing.

Georges St-Pierre vs. Jake Shields
April 30, 2011

UFC officials had originally planned for the Rogers Centre to be configured to hold 42,000 fans for UFC 129. The UFC put those tickets on sale to UFC Fight Club members in a special pre-sale on February 10, 2011, selling nearly all of them. They released and sold more tickets the following day to UFC newsletter subscribers in a second special pre-sale. UFC 129 then sold out when tickets went on sale to the general public on February 12, with officials scrambling to up the number of seats to 55,000. Selling out all 55,000 tickets for gate revenues exceeding $11 million, the event shatters both MMA attendance and gate records in North America.

Attendance was 55,724

Back
Top Bottom