How Much Do You Tip The Pizza Delivery Person?

I AM THAT DUDE wrote:

Not when you look at it comparatively to other occupations that are far more difficult, and have more prerequisite knowledge and skills required.

How is that the fault of the delivery guy? 
Try to change the system, not place blame on another low paid worker. 

This country is seriously demented. Decades of cheap *%%! from the 3rd world have skewed our sense of cost. 

I AM THAT DUDE wrote:

Not when you look at it comparatively to other occupations that are far more difficult, and have more prerequisite knowledge and skills required.

This country is seriously demented. Decades of cheap *%%! from the 3rd world have skewed our sense of cost. 

laugh.gif
pimp.gif
@ Anton.

For ppl who eat at fast food chains. I have noticed like since '07 that they charging you with a take-out or stay-in tax. Can't tip in a society when if I'm asked if the order is to go or to stay and they tax me extra depending on that.

%@+* anybody who says I don't deserve delivery because I refuse to tip. As if delivery is a luxury or privilege meant for those who think they have to pay someone extra for delivering their food.

laugh.gif
pimp.gif
@ Anton.

For ppl who eat at fast food chains. I have noticed like since '07 that they charging you with a take-out or stay-in tax. Can't tip in a society when if I'm asked if the order is to go or to stay and they tax me extra depending on that.

%@+* anybody who says I don't deserve delivery because I refuse to tip. As if delivery is a luxury or privilege meant for those who think they have to pay someone extra for delivering their food.

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

I AM THAT DUDE wrote:

Would it not make more sense for those employees to make the changes themselves with their employers? Why am I, the customer, suddenly involved in this because employees feel the need to blame the customer for their low pay and not the employer that pays them?

I AM THAT DUDE wrote:

Would it not make more sense for those employees to make the changes themselves with their employers? Why am I, the customer, suddenly involved in this because employees feel the need to blame the customer for their low pay and not the employer that pays them?

Originally Posted by So Nyuh Shi Dae

OMG, 40k/year! 
GTFOOH. Why are you mad at people making 40k/year? That's still bad pay. 
I think the point is that they don't deserve a tip anymore than any other low paying occupation does.
That's a perk of this low paying profession. Nobody is preventing others from trying to enter. 
Most of these jobs pay below min wage and even min wage is $%+# in this country. 

Tipping is not common place in Europe because their min wage is actually a livable wage. 

OMG, 40k/year! 
I think the point is that they don't deserve a tip anymore than any other low paying occupation does.
That's a perk of this low paying profession. Nobody is preventing others from trying to enter. 
Most of these jobs pay below min wage and even min wage is $%+# in this country. 

Tipping is not common place in Europe because their min wage is actually a livable wage. 

Delivery drivers make well over minimum wage. Just as you say I could fight the system, if people who make 8 bucks an hr (and it's more like 11+ for pizza drivers btw, Papa John's pays like 15) take issue with that, then they can get a better education and an actual marketable skill. And that also applies, in fact especially applies to, waitstaff.

Delivery drivers make well over minimum wage. Just as you say I could fight the system, if people who make 8 bucks an hr (and it's more like 11+ for pizza drivers btw, Papa John's pays like 15) take issue with that, then they can get a better education and an actual marketable skill. And that also applies, in fact especially applies to, waitstaff.

I AM THAT DUDE wrote:

You as a customer have the power over their employer. Since I realize most of my fellow customers either don't give a +@%! or are ignorant I rather part with a few extra dollars to make it right in my own way. 

I AM THAT DUDE wrote:

You as a customer have the power over their employer. Since I realize most of my fellow customers either don't give a +@%! or are ignorant I rather part with a few extra dollars to make it right in my own way. 

Originally Posted by I AM THAT DUDE

Ain't no way Papa Jophns pays $15. If I had to guess it's prob more like 10-12. I don't know where you're getting your numbers.
Just like ain't no cops or teachers making 26k  all inclusive comp (bennies, OT, pension, etc.). 

We need (relatively) low paying jobs in the same way we have median and high paying jobs. 

There are right times to be greedy/cheap and there are wrong times. Be greedy/ cheap with those who don't really need the extra $'s. 

Originally Posted by I AM THAT DUDE

Ain't no way Papa Jophns pays $15. If I had to guess it's prob more like 10-12. I don't know where you're getting your numbers.
Just like ain't no cops or teachers making 26k  all inclusive comp (bennies, OT, pension, etc.). 

We need (relatively) low paying jobs in the same way we have median and high paying jobs. 

There are right times to be greedy/cheap and there are wrong times. Be greedy/ cheap with those who don't really need the extra $'s. 

OMG, 40k/year! 

I think you missed the point again. Why does one employee that earns a low wage deserve a tip anymore than another employee that earns a low wage? I'm aware that many of these jobs pay low.

OMG, 40k/year! 

I think you missed the point again. Why does one employee that earns a low wage deserve a tip anymore than another employee that earns a low wage? I'm aware that many of these jobs pay low.

I, as a customer, pay an establishment to provide me with a good. How that establishment delivers this good to me is not of my concern unless they require that I pay for that delivery. Since tipping is not required, I am not obliged to tip. So again, this is between you and your employer, not me. I work a minimum wage job and I don't act like it's the rest of the world's duty to compensate me.

I, as a customer, pay an establishment to provide me with a good. How that establishment delivers this good to me is not of my concern unless they require that I pay for that delivery. Since tipping is not required, I am not obliged to tip. So again, this is between you and your employer, not me. I work a minimum wage job and I don't act like it's the rest of the world's duty to compensate me.

Historically (as in the past few decades) most of these jobs pay below min wage because the other comp comes from tips. 
This keeps prices relatively low/stable (it's true for the most part; look at prices in Europe for restaurants). This is a trade off, we the consumer have made. 

The business and employees are holding up their end of the deal. You hold up yours. If you don't like it then don't participate in it. On the other hand, don't freeload either and then complain. 

I'd have no problem with prices being raised in conjunction with employee pay being raised. I have a feeling that people complaining about tipping will also complain when prices are raised so tipping is no longer necessary. You can't have your cake and eat it too. 

I've never worked in the restaurant industry so it's not a personal thing for me. I would just rather be on the overly generous side then on the **** side. 

Historically (as in the past few decades) most of these jobs pay below min wage because the other comp comes from tips. 
This keeps prices relatively low/stable (it's true for the most part; look at prices in Europe for restaurants). This is a trade off, we the consumer have made. 

The business and employees are holding up their end of the deal. You hold up yours. If you don't like it then don't participate in it. On the other hand, don't freeload either and then complain. 

I'd have no problem with prices being raised in conjunction with employee pay being raised. I have a feeling that people complaining about tipping will also complain when prices are raised so tipping is no longer necessary. You can't have your cake and eat it too. 

I've never worked in the restaurant industry so it's not a personal thing for me. I would just rather be on the overly generous side then on the **** side. 

As far as I know, in California, an employee HAS to make minimum wage. So, your point is invalid. So back to my question, why should one low paid worker receive tips while others do not? Also, if it's not explicitly stated, then tipping is not obligatory. If that's the case, the customer has the option to tip. Acting like the customer is in the wrong for not tipping is absurd.

I think you're missing the point if you think that people are "complaining about tipping". People are complaining about being expected to tip when tipping is optional.

I hope you're overly generous to everyone that makes a low wage and not just to the ones that demand that you're overly generous to them.

As far as I know, in California, an employee HAS to make minimum wage. So, your point is invalid. So back to my question, why should one low paid worker receive tips while others do not? Also, if it's not explicitly stated, then tipping is not obligatory. If that's the case, the customer has the option to tip. Acting like the customer is in the wrong for not tipping is absurd.

I think you're missing the point if you think that people are "complaining about tipping". People are complaining about being expected to tip when tipping is optional.

I hope you're overly generous to everyone that makes a low wage and not just to the ones that demand that you're overly generous to them.

If it was a place that had on a sign outside, "Don't tip, we pay our employees well," I'd be all over that !#%%. And the tradeoff is hardly 100% consistent and certainly it doesn't lead to an increase in service. In most cases, they carry more impunity to not give too good of service because you're obligated to give them one, like no way somebody is going to not tip me 18% so #*$& it, I'll spend half the time they're here outside smoking.

There have been numerous studies of the effect and how it works more in theory than in actuality. For exaple, females waitstaff who draw smileys on the receipt see an 18% increase in tips, as well as lame things that have no impact on service like touching diners, sitting at their table, bending over, introducing themselves by name, etc. Whatever, my drink is at that danger zone where it's making a slurping sound through the straw, handle that Angela.

Incentives and Service Quality in the Restaurant Industry: The Tipping - Service Puzzle
http://papers.ssrn.com/so...s.cfm?abstract_id=946951

“Tip Levels and Service: An Update, Extension and Reconciliation

If it was a place that had on a sign outside, "Don't tip, we pay our employees well," I'd be all over that !#%%. And the tradeoff is hardly 100% consistent and certainly it doesn't lead to an increase in service. In most cases, they carry more impunity to not give too good of service because you're obligated to give them one, like no way somebody is going to not tip me 18% so #*$& it, I'll spend half the time they're here outside smoking.

There have been numerous studies of the effect and how it works more in theory than in actuality. For exaple, females waitstaff who draw smileys on the receipt see an 18% increase in tips, as well as lame things that have no impact on service like touching diners, sitting at their table, bending over, introducing themselves by name, etc. Whatever, my drink is at that danger zone where it's making a slurping sound through the straw, handle that Angela.

Incentives and Service Quality in the Restaurant Industry: The Tipping - Service Puzzle
http://papers.ssrn.com/so...s.cfm?abstract_id=946951

“Tip Levels and Service: An Update, Extension and Reconciliation

What kind of logic is that. Ok. So the employee is making min wage in one of the highest COL areas in the nation. The price of food is still cheap even in high COL areas like CA and NY. Why do you think it's so cheap when compared to other developed countries with actual livable min wages? You ever had lunch in a Euro country? The !@%+ will run you minimum 12 euro and that's for a $%!%#% lunch meal. 
I tip whenever I feel it's warranted. Like I said though, I rather tip in one too many places than in too few. 

Back
Top Bottom