How much money should you have saved? Vol. Emergency Funds

How much money do you think you should have saved just incase of an emergency, or if you happen to lose your job?

I would say have at least 3 months worth of whatever you make per month. But that might not do it cause you might go jobless for a year. JUst save as much as you can man. Limit your foolish spending and sit on your money. Don't think there is a SET amount.

its goes by age..

if your over 18 and live on your own . You need at least 2-3 months of expenses

if your over 35 you need 6 months or better..

If you dont have anything saved consider your life a failure

its goes by age..

its goes by age..

its goes by age..

I save the best way I can. Calculate all future expenses. Sure you can't see the future, but estimate possible scenarios. All my sneaker purchases are calculated.

Originally Posted by Mogulson

Calculate all future expenses. Sure you can't see the future, but estimate possible scenarios.
basically.. rainy day money doesnt mean extra money incase you want a new pair of shoes.
car accidents
medical

possible layoffs

Originally Posted by proper english

Originally Posted by Mogulson

Calculate all future expenses. Sure you can't see the future, but estimate possible scenarios.
basically.. rainy day money doesnt mean extra money incase you want a new pair of shoes.
car accidents
medical

possible layoffs

Correct. That is the proper way to think. I only use my credit card when I already have at least half the amount of the purchase total. You build credit the same way.

I have about 10g's saved up from about a year worth of saving... but all that might go away for a little bit if I buy a car and my tickets to Thailand are not cheap... it's foolish to spend all my savings right now, especially I still haven't paid for my trip, but I have good job security plus my grandfather has promised to help me out with the car but he is in no shape or form to help me out right now.... I don't want to pass up on this car though...

Originally Posted by GeorgeCantstandya

I have about 10g's saved up from about a year worth of saving... but all that might go away for a little bit if I buy a car and my tickets to Thailand are not cheap... it's foolish to spend all my savings right now, especially I still haven't paid for my trip, but I have good job security plus my grandfather has promised to help me out with the car but he is in no shape or form to help me out right now.... I don't want to pass up on this car though...
Cars come and go. It's not wise to leave yourself with almost nothing in savings.

Im so glad ive been frugal and not throwing my money away. I had about 3 months salary saved up and unexpectedly lost my job. I know most of NT lives at home but let me tell the older guys you will NEVER see it coming. Dont be that dude that says ohh i never thought it could happen to me.
PS Jordans for sale. lol

I believe you are supposed to have 8 months saved for your regular expenses (mortgage, car, ins, utilities etc)
I got a long way to go

I believe you are supposed to have 8 months saved for your regular expenses (mortgage, car, ins, utilities etc)
I got a long way to go

lol save.

you can die at anytime.

spend like everyday is your last.
cant take 10gs with you into the ground if some a hole isnt paying attention and slams into as youre walking out of walmart playboy.

Originally Posted by likethematrix

lol save.

you can die at anytime.

spend like everyday is your last.
cant take 10gs with you into the ground if some a hole isnt paying attention and slams into as youre walking out of walmart playboy.

Lolz.that money saved would help for your casket playboy.

I had enough to pay off my car and credit cards w/ a little left over, around ($8k).. But I dropped down to parttime at work and that lasted about 10 months.. Trying to get back to that and more.. I can't complain for a college student, considering a lot of them jokers are dead broke, or living off mommy & daddy..

If trouble really hits me, i have $100k+ in unsecured credit and 750+ FICO score.. Thank you Jesus.

Back
Top Bottom