Howard Stern fires shots at Gabourey Sidibe.

He was a bit harsh about it, but I kind of agree. I can't think of another film she could be in besides one similar to "Precious". I have a bad feeling she's going to end up in Tyler Perry movies and her talent is going to go to waste.
smh.gif

smh.gif
at yall making a blanket statements of beauty, especially on this board where even "pretty" people still get called ugly. Not everyone has the same standard for beauty, and obviously in Hollywood looks don't keep everyone from getting work

case in point Mindy Kaling from The Office
mindy-kaling-58th-annual-creative-arts-emmy-awards-1JQbsU.jpg
Not my cup of tea but she's on a hit TV show

As long as Tyler Perry is alive Gabourey Sibide will get work in Hollywood.

honestly i'm not tryna see fat people on TV or in movies. I think the US has some stupid double standards, talking about supporting people no matter how they look, so are we telling our children it's okay to be morbidly obese? get these fatties off the television screen and into the gym!

smh.gif
So disrespectful, they both sound MAD bitter that she has more respect/ accolades than both of them combined. Now I want her to succeed even more, and I'm sure this idiocy will motivate her.

I just watched precious and i didn't like it at all, but I hope she gets more work.

Now I'm self hating cuz I don't think wale is attractive but white Kobe is?
laugh.gif
Boy bye. It's no secret I love dark skin men so you can fall back.

I hope she just stacked enough paper from Precious so hopefully she can just go back to living a normal life. I think Hollywood is going to destroy her. Look at Susan Boyle. She is tripping balls right now for being so famous. I just don't think everyone is made for this lifestyle.

All in all, he was on point, but he just said what was on a lot of people's minds in the wrong way.  To say the girl is beautiful is extremely patronizing, especially when she already knows she doesn't look like the typical Hollywood "it" girl. 

If nothing else, she's pretty talented for someone with no acting classes.  And not to thread jack, but was I the only one that thought Mo'Nique shouldn't have won for her role in Precious?  It wasn't too much far removed from her comedy in terms of the profane language and such.

I'm a Howard fan but, he should let her enjoy the success she has.  Her clock might be ticking but i'd rather see her get jobs than no talent, perfect looking actresses.

Off topic, anyone know where I can watch Howard's show online?

Originally Posted by sooperhooper

smh.gif
So disrespectful, they both sound MAD bitter that she has more respect/ accolades than both of them combined. Now I want her to succeed even more, and I'm sure this idiocy will motivate her.

I just watched precious and i didn't like it at all, but I hope she gets more work.
Pretty much.

This role does NOT have to be the end of this woman's career. If she works hard, she will find quality work. I hate how people act like she doesn't know what size she is or what she looks like. Obviously, she knows the odds are stacked against her. That doesn't mean she should give up on her dream. Heck, with Oprah and Tyler Perry's support, she should be able to find moderate success whether it be in the indie or mainstream direction.

To say the girl is beautiful is extremely patronizing, especially when she already knows she doesn't look like the typical Hollywood "it" girl.

How is it patronizing? Some people DO find her attractive. It's like how I don't get how or why people here sweat the white chicks that they do, but I'm not going to rush to "that girl is ugly".

Originally Posted by shogun

I'm a Howard fan but, he should let her enjoy the success she has.  Her clock might be ticking but i'd rather see her get jobs than no talent, perfect looking actresses.

Off topic, anyone know where I can watch Howard's show online?

I download all mine from Pirate Bay. Some guy usually puts up the torrents on their right after the show airs. I have stacks of Howard shows on my computer I have to get rid of.

Originally Posted by ExtRaOrDinaRy SwAg

smh.gif
at yall making a blanket statements of beauty, especially on this board where even "pretty" people still get called ugly. Not everyone has the same standard for beauty, and obviously in Hollywood looks don't keep everyone from getting work

case in point Mindy Kaling from The Office
mindy-kaling-58th-annual-creative-arts-emmy-awards-1JQbsU.jpg
Not my cup of tea but she's on a hit TV show

As long as Tyler Perry is alive Gabourey Sibide will get work in Hollywood.
This chick isnt obeast like Gab...saying their looks are the same is ignoring the obvious.
Also, Mindy writes...thats why she has a job.  If she wasnt able to produce material she probably wouldnt have an acting job on a show she writes for.  

I like big girls, but I don't think I'd try to get at her even on my drunkest night. I truly believe that me saying that she's attractive is patronizing...but that's the thing about looks. They're all relative...people have different opinions wherever you go.

I listened to it the other day and a caller called in talking about how his 8 year old daughter tried to commit suicide. After that, he threw a shot saying Gabourey Sidibe could play the Marshmallow Man dipped in chocolate for her next film
laugh.gif
. Only in the Stern show could you get those type of callers.

Originally Posted by Prostaffer

a radio show in Chicago already got on this topic yesterday. they made a great point, don't patronize her and us by saying she's beautiful.

i understand you are trying to speak about her inner beauty and the confidence she has.

she's an educated woman who is not the character she portrayed, yet everyone talks down to her like she is.

telling her she is beautiful is basically telling her, "hey your not as pretty as us. enjoy your short stay."

nobody told Kathy Bates she was pretty. She was just a good actress, why can't people tell her that?

After seeing her interviews, she is a smart person which only makes her performance all the more dazzling to me.

I agree with this.

Originally Posted by Nike Star Jay

Originally Posted by BlackStilettos

To say the girl is beautiful is extremely patronizing, especially when she already knows she doesn't look like the typical Hollywood "it" girl.

How is it patronizing? Some people DO find her attractive. It's like how I don't get how or why people here sweat the white chicks that they do, but I'm not going to rush to "that girl is ugly".
It was only a matter of time before the "white girl" mention. In all seriousness, being completely honest with ourselves, we know most people find her to be unattractive/hideous. I know of very few people that find obesity/being overweight appealing. I'm not even sure if another unattractive person would find her attractive. Do you find her attractive? As for her acting skills, I haven't seen Precious, nor do I want to, but I've heard that she's a brilliant actress... And if that holds true, than I'll have to disagree with Howard Stern and Robin, and say that there is a place for her in Hollywood (regardless of appearance). The way they ridiculed her was more than cruel though. They (Howard and Robin) could have been a lot more gentle with their criticism, but I don't think that's what their audience wants to hear.

A 'white girl' mention? Almost every chick that is universally drooled over here is white so it's not like I am intentionally singling out the race.
laugh.gif
Anyways, I actually know a few people who find her attractive. I find her attractive. Could she stand to lose weight? Sure. But she should be losing weight for herself and her health, not because people find her appalling looking. That's what makes me roll my eyes the most: most people do not care about her health, they just want her to look a certain way. I guess I don't get why it is necessary to point it out over and over and over that she's considered conventionally unattractive. She knows what she looks like and how people view her.
smh.gif
Let her be.

Back
Top Bottom