I Applaud Lupe Fiasco for being open-minded...

Jan 27 2010 4:42 PM EST

[h1]Lupe Fiasco 'Somewhat' Agrees With Controversial Bill O'Reilly Comment[/h1][h2]Chicago MC says talk-show host had 'credible argument' when he compared Chicago to Haiti.[/h2]
By Shaheem Reid

Controversial comments by TV talk-show host Bill O'Reilly hit theInternet on Wednesday (January 27), causing plenty of talk on the chatboards. Audio from an O'Reilly appearance in Westbury, New York, wasposted on MediaMatters.org, featuring O'Reilly comparing Chicago to Haiti.

"I'm seeing a guy [President Obama] who's very, very committedto the government," O'Reilly said. "The government's going to solve theproblems, and I'm going, I don't know, how's that possible? If you'veever been to the South Side of Chicago, I mean, it's a disaster, allright? It's like Haiti, it's like — I've been to Haiti a couple oftimes. I support some charities there, but Haiti just never getsbetter, no matter how much money you put in there because they don'thave a system. And I said the government can't do it, but Obama reallybelieves the government can do it."

One of Chicago's favorite sons, Lupe Fiasco, says that although he does not support O'Reilly, he does see the need to improve communities in Chicago.

"There's a certain level of concurrence," Lupe said. "Not now.There's no toppled buildings, unless you want to count the projects.But pre-earthquake Haiti ... When I went to Africa, when I was inTanzania, it was weird because there was this extreme poverty andextreme corruption and it looked so much like the West Side of Chicago.In [the documentary I shot over there] you'll see me say that. There'sno grass, there's a barbershop, there's a sneaker store, there's aliquor store and a bunch of Coca-Cola everywhere."

Fiasco, who recently climbed all the way to the summit of Mount Kilimanjarowith a group of activists and celebrities including Jessica Biel andKenna, says that ghettos across the world can sometimes resemble eachother.

"I don't want to be pointed out as supporting Bill O'Reilly inany way because he can be on the garbage sometimes. When you'recomparing certain areas in the U.S. that are predominantlyAfrican-American or Latino, it's very easy to compare it to the ThirdWorld," Lupe said. "Just in the amount of violence that's there, thecorruption that's there, the gang activity that's there. It's prevalentand dominant in Haiti. The corruption of the local politicians, theabject, corporate exploitation that takes place there, loan sharking,all that stuff. I think you can make the comparison to a lot of placesin the U.S. Oakland [California], Detroit. Detroit's got abandonedbuildings. On that note, he's definitely not out of the ballpark.There's a credible argument there. I agree with that in some aspects."

I've got to applaud Lupe for actually listening to someone like Bill O'Reilly (who i personally cannot stand) and speaking up for a cause...

pimp.gif

I just find it funny that since the earthquake people are talking about "restoring" haiti

haiti has been a hell hole since 1804.

NT is now going to love Bill O'Reilly
laugh.gif

I think he's a total tool but he does have valid points and a lot the time makes key points people don't wanna hear

Originally Posted by eNPHAN

I just find it funny that since the earthquake people are talking about "restoring" haiti

It wasn't always a "hell hole" but I know what you're trying to say.

a couple days ago in class there was a discussion about restoring haiti and this kid said restore it to what?
he caught heat for it but he does have a point....

Originally Posted by omgitswes

a couple days ago in class there was a discussion about restoring haiti and this kid said restore it to what?
And what were people in class saying to him?

I hate when someone speaks up, has a point, but it isn't the PC thing to say and they get ridiculed. I think dude in your class has a point. RE-store means to put back together. TO get back to where it was before. Haiti was where before the Quake?

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

And what were people in class saying to him?

I hate when someone speaks up, has a point, but it isn't the PC thing to say and they get ridiculed. I think dude in your class has a point. RE-store means to put back together. TO get back to where it was before. Haiti was where before the Quake?
this guy has been saying some outlandish things though. but mainly they just said that they are people too and no one deserves to have their homes destroyed and that they can't really help themselves because of the state of the country

Originally Posted by Chicagos Finest 23

Its not that bad out here
The slums of chicago aren't even close to what Haiti is going through right now. We don't have to restore it, but a little aid, food, and shelter for the time being goes a long way.

People are over sensitive these days.

Originally Posted by K2theAblaM

Originally Posted by Chicagos Finest 23

Its not that bad out here
The slums of chicago aren't even close to what Haiti is going through right now. We don't have to restore it, but a little aid, food, and shelter for the time being goes a long way.
He said 'pre-earthquake haiti'............

Lupe is the realist rapper in the game. That being said, what's all the hooplah about with the comment? He's obviously got an agenda when it comes to Chicago, that's his home. SMH at people making this about Bill O'Reilly..

Originally Posted by StillIn729

NT is now going to love Bill O'Reilly
laugh.gif

I think he's a total tool but he does have valid points and a lot the time makes key points people don't wanna hear
QFT
laugh.gif

Still....it wouldn't be right to leave Haiti as is. It's the only humane thing to do is to help Haiti as much as possible. I am sure there is no straight shot right answer to what is going on down there but it would be foolish to not give aid to the people there.

Tanzania has parts that resemble US cities almost exactly. I stayed in Arusha and it looked like an American city for the most part. Lots of buildings, round-a-bouts, etc.
I agree with Lupe. Many governments don't have an organized system though.

Despite Lupe not being an O'Reilly supporter, he was still able to acknowledge O'Reilly's stance on the situation, instead of being ignorant and using Bill's reputation as a reason to repudiate his views. Props to Lupe.

Too bad more people, especially on here, don't do that.

I remember a thread popping up on here last year about Bill O'Reilly criticizing Jamie Foxx for his highly inappropriate comments towards Miley Cyrus, and some idiots on here were making Bill look like the bad guy. Some had the nerve to call him a racist.

Back
Top Bottom