I ask basketball fans, not just knick fans, would you match Rockets' offer for Lin?

nerd.gif
 what do you guys think? would you match Houston's contract offer of 3 yrs, 25 mil? Keep in mind, in year 3- that contract can limit your teams ability to do some transactions. (If you're the knicks)

Its a tuff call but i would match and trade *** before the 3rd year if they dont get to the finals.....and even if they kept him all 3 yrs theyd probly make 5x that 15 mill hes dues the last year.

The Rockets are seriously screwing themselves up this off season. I can understand all the moves they're trying to do because they'll be a mediocre team if they don't do anything this off season, but they pretty much gutted the team out without any guarantees. It's like when the Nets cleared their cap 1 or 2 seasons ago.

As for Lin, I'd sign with NY for more marketability. Forget going on TX. They also got JKidd to mentor now and he should take that golden opportunity.

Just from a business standpoint, I would because of all the revenue Lin would bring in.

Before Linsanity started, everyone kept saying Knicks needed a true PG and now they got one, they want to take a chance on Felton and Kidd. Good luck with that. Pretty much going to see Melo with the ball in iso situations. Rockets don't have much of a squad so the blowback prolly won't be much at all. If it was a contender though, Knicks wouldn't hear the end of it.

I would. MSG stock has gained ~$600m in market cap since Jeremy Lin's first start. You assume at some point Linsanity has to die down, but I'd ride it out as long as it lasts. Hell, 200 million people in China alone watched the Rockets vs the Bucks in a meaningless regular season game. You gotta capitalize on that market

Your a #%%@@#@ idiot if you think they should
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

this whole "hes gonna be worth X amount" because hes so popular, yea he was when he had his amazing "streak" of 20 games, but no one is going to give a !*@% about linsanity when hes on the bench
laugh.gif
Everyone lives in the moment

Originally Posted by MMG

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

this whole "hes gonna be worth X amount" because hes so popular, yea he was when he had his amazing "streak" of 20 games, but no one is going to give a !*@% about linsanity when hes on the bench
laugh.gif
QFT when he was on that streak im sure they didnt care what they signed him for as long as they kept him. now knicks fans realize he just had 20 good games and would have gotten exposed by the heat in the first round. either way he doesnt impact the knicks just because they wont do anything period with the heat still out there

I find it funny Houston is gonna pay Lin that much but they used the amnesty clause on Scola who was being paid 5 mil less than Lin and has proven he's a solid player over a few season not just 20-30 games .. so NO match for me

Originally Posted by MMG

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Yeah good argument bro, '' anyone who disagrees with me is an idiot '' what are you in 5th grade ? Youre next response will probly be '' im rubber youre glue .... ''

If its true about Ny gaining 600 million in stock then just from the business standpoint i'd match it, how often does that happen ?

Its not nearly as cut and dry as youre making it seem, there are good points for either decision the knicks make.....and why would you just assume Lin would be on the bench ?

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

It's just money, you aren't winning anything anyways...why not? 
Pretty much, with that squad they got now.
He can't guard anyone though, prob not worth it.

Originally Posted by Carver

I find it funny Houston is gonna pay Lin that much but they used the amnesty clause on Scola who was being paid 5 mil less than Lin and has proven he's a solid player over a few season not just 20-30 games .. so NO match for me
well scola is 32 and would make 9, 10, 11 million next three
Lin is 23 and would make 5, 5, then 15ish. so would be saving 4/5 million on the cap the first two years
we have no point guard and flipping the roster for youth to rebuild. scola has no fit in that, and i would feel bad if he had to play for this team next year after what he has given us.

8.37M for three years for the Rockets > 5m 5.2m 14.9m for the Knicks. Even at 8M per for the Rockets is a little much considering Lin's lack of a track record. But Knicks fans say Lin is a cash cow, so from a business standpoint, it's a good move. For a roster stand point, Lowry and Dragic are better than Lin, but Lin's like 24. We dunno if he's a bum or not, but we really can't say he's not the real deal, either. The Rockets have three years to find out. We already know he's not a good pairing with Melo. So a move to Houston is probably in his best interests, from a basketball standpoint.

I'm also confused about the Lin situation because Woodson (NYK) publicly stated they would literally match any OS for Jeremy. Did the third year "poison pill" really work on Houston's part, or is it possible Lin was still miffed about the Knicks not showing enough initial interest to re-sign him?
Let's face it: In terms of pure basketball, there's a relatively small sample size from Lin. It's clear as day Jeremy needs to cut down on the turnovers, work on going left, step up his defensive abilities, and continue to learn the PG position (unnatural) much like Russy (combo guard, maybe even more of a 2-guard with a scorer's mentality). However, any contract looks far better because of the marketing side. Jeremy Lin and Tim Tebow were two of the most overly exposed and well-known athletes within the past 12 months across America. Combine the two in the huge NY market and you have yourself a PR monster. MSG Network benefited, MSG saw crazy gains for attendance and ticket sales. Jeremy Lin helps move merchandise and memorabilia. He also attracts the big Chinese market who is begging for an Asian superstar since Yao Ming. Heck, they show vast support for Kobe and he's not even one of their own for argument sake. The Felton signing, although shrewd for the price (3-years for $10m), would indicate lack of space or money for Lin. Kidd and Felton is more than enough for any NBA team. I'm not saying New York necessarily owes Jeremy anything, but Knicks fans should be somewhat grateful and appreciate for Lin's ability to revive the team spirit and locker room when all seemed lost. 

From Houston's standpoint, the new Lin OS is a smart bit of business from Morey. If the Knicks match the second offer, they must swallow the "poison pill." If they don't, ideally Lin will draw interest and hype enough to put fans in seats. He's not a superstar in terms of basketball ability yet, but he is for marketing and raising basketball awareness in the Houston market. Let D12 be, and add pieces from here in the near future with smart signings and sound drafting. Lin/Lamb/White/Jones/Donatas/Morris/Patterson/Parsons. Moves still need to be made on Morey's end, but he successfully moved Lowry for a draft pick to avoid controversy with McHale and let Dragic walk for an overvalued contract, I suppose. Develop the young talent and continue to add stronger pieces with time. I'm not sure if McHale is the right man for the job moving forward though. Maybe Franchise or the other Rockets fans can elaborate on their thoughts and feelings for the HC. 

Originally Posted by RetroBaller

Originally Posted by Carver

well scola is 32 and would make 9, 10, 11 million next three
Lin is 23 and would make 5, 5, then 15ish. so would be saving 4/5 million on the cap the first two years
we have no point guard and flipping the roster for youth to rebuild. scola has no fit in that, and i would feel bad if he had to play for this team next year after what he has given us.
Truuuuuu

Y'all went from 2 solid pgs to none
laugh.gif

Champ, I think McHale is a good coach. Adelman wasnt willing to play young talent. McHale is, as we saw Parsons start as a rookie. But the Rockets actually wanted to hire a guy named Chris Finch. But he has no track record, so he's the coach in waiting, as an assistant. I think if the Rockets get Dwight, McHale will be the coach for awhile. If not, Finch probably takes over in a couple of years. I don't know too much about him, except he's a numbers guy.

Originally Posted by MJsaver

Originally Posted by MMG

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Yeah good argument bro, '' anyone who disagrees with me is an idiot '' what are you in 5th grade ? Youre next response will probly be '' im rubber youre glue .... ''

If its true about Ny gaining 600 million in stock then just from the business standpoint i'd match it, how often does that happen ?

Its not nearly as cut and dry as youre making it seem, there are good points for either decision the knicks make.....and why would you just assume Lin would be on the bench ?

its an expression, Im not literally saying you an idiot
eyes.gif

He cant go left, his defense is sub par, he has a high TO rate, when he drives into the lane he doesnt keep his head up..... hes not a very good PG. He could very well end up on the bench towards the end of this contract.

If you like overpaying players, sure.

Cuz thats what this contract is going to do.

Thanks for responding, franchise. I'm personally not particularly fond of McHale, not just because of the Lowry spat either. 
An assistant in-waiting I like is Mike Malone. Could play a major role in the impending CP3 sweepstakes. Clippers dropped the ball on that one with VDN. 

Houston is trying to sell tickets with the fans there from the Yao saga. Lin is riding the hype he saved a season while playing weak teams. If he deserves that much money then what is mario worth.

I don't think Lin is worth that kind of money, but he brings in fans and makes money for that mediocre franchise. Honestly, the Knicks have about 0 chance of being relevant in the Eastern conference next year, so why not sell some tickets and make some money off of Lin?

Originally Posted by MMG

Originally Posted by MJsaver

Originally Posted by MMG

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

its an expression, Im not literally saying you an idiot
eyes.gif

He cant go left, his defense is sub par, he has a high TO rate, when he drives into the lane he doesnt keep his head up..... hes not a very good PG. He could very well end up on the bench towards the end of this contract.
Didnt take it as a dis, more like a copout because you didnt really give any details or reasons to why you felt that way.

I agree for the most part about his skillset but im looking beyond that, dude is a cashcow and  the true Lin fans will stick around  if he does somehow make it to the bench. (doubt it unless knicks get top 10 pg)

I see you posted in the other thread dudes arent lookin at the grand scheme of things, well isnt trying to keep that 600 mill gained in stock part of the grand scheme of things.

Hes still a good player and if its bust he can be traded, i just think the knicks have more to gain than they have to lose so why not do it.

Back
Top Bottom