I ask basketball fans, not just knick fans, would you match Rockets' offer for Lin?

Originally Posted by goldenchild9

Originally Posted by endemic415

goldenchild9 wrote:
He get's 14.5 in the third year of the contract.

That contract year could cost the Knicks upwards of $40 million after luxury tax.

Amar'e Stoudemire is a Rookie of the Year, 6 time All-Star, 1 time All NBA 1st Teamer, 4 time All NBA Second Teamer, with 2 MVP type season under his belt...read off Lin's accomplishments please.

LeBron makes 14.5, Wade makes 14...Lin will be getting paid like a HoF champion without proving anything besides his potential marketability and his affinity for TO's.
Harvard Grad, good luck achieving that Amare

That means what exactly?
Ama're's potential life earnings is multiple times greater than that of Lin's.

Same reason Bill Gates dropped out of Harvard never to return again. Some people have the type of ability that needn't be constrained by the proving ground of college.

I don't know about the potential life earnings. Lin's potential endorsements could be pretty high especially if Chinese companies get involved.

you'd have to be a **** to even consider it
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

It's definitely spin coming out of NY's brass. Up until this point, all indications were they were gonna match. The initial offer sheet was 5 5 9 9 with the 4th year being a team option. Is it that much of a difference, where year 3 is 9m and some change as opposed to 14.9? Lin signs his deal, and word comes out he's unhappy. Lin signs the updated offer sheet, and it's some conspiracy where Lin leaked out the Knicks were gonna match (the whole world assumed they would, and Woodson an Co. said they'd match) and got more money out of Houston, and hurt the Knicks. Maybe Morey just outsmarted the Knicks with this loophole? Because honestly, if the Knicks got Nash, would they match? I think the initial offer sheet and the updated offer sheet, the Knicks weren't matching.

He may not be worth the 14 million basketball wise but he is definitely worth it marketability wise. His ticket sales, jersey sales, endorsements, and just general interest in Lin by the world will make him worth every penny of that 14 million in year 3. Don't hate on Lin for having a good damn agent.

Yes. The Knicks are Doo-Doo Garbage. Wasn't like they was gonna be competin' for a 'Chip in the foreseeable future so why not sign Lin and make a boatload of cash off the Asian demographic?

Going the opposite way of this thread

Basketball wise: Yes. He doesn't effect cap since I would be over anyway, lose a valuable asset for absolutely nothing if I don't match, and he's better than Felton. What is the downside basketball wise?
If we WEREN'T over cap, then I would probably say no, but since we're not, what's the downside to overpaying here if we are looking at it strictly basketball wise?

Business wise: I know everyone's saying he would easily make them that much and more, but I have no clue. I'm sure in total his name will bring in his contract value(~45 mill after luxury tax implications) and much more, but spread across plenty of people, not just the owner and the company. They only get a portion of those merchandise sales, you can raise ticket prices but IDK by how much ,account for the chance that his fire may fade, etc. He has a lot of draw but that is a ton of money when you account for the luxury tax implications.I'm inclined to believe he would cover it but I don't really know. That said, throw in the fact that the Nets are trying to make a push for the NY market, I would probably match it so as to not alienate my fanbase. The people at the Knicks Real GM forums are in panic mode and it seems a lot of them are fed up w/ Dolan for not just opening up his wallet and paying him.

Originally Posted by thapointguy

As a Lin supporter, I say no. It's an opportunity for him to show the world that he was not a fluke(with less talent on the team) and he could lead the young Rockets to the Playoffs. Playoff is a stretch (If they can get D12 though) but it's the best scenario for Lin and also the Knicks.

This. !$%@ the knicks

Originally Posted by Korean Krossover

He may not be worth the 14 million basketball wise but he is definitely worth it marketability wise. His ticket sales, jersey sales, endorsements, and just general interest in Lin by the world will make him worth every penny of that 14 million in year 3. Don't hate on Lin for having a good damn agent.

Lin's gonna get paid, but he needs to drop the whole "I'm surprised they didn't just match" nonsense. Speaking of nonsense, this "marketability" argument for signing Lin exposes the folks who really care about their team as a whole or quality basketball. Who cares if he's making extra money if he doesn't work out? Who cares about China marketing if his knee doesn't appear to be 100% and could worsen? So you would actually approve of your team taking on a novelty for marketing dollars at the cost of a contending team? To make it worse, you'd have to make an extra effort to make your money back while putting a suspect product on the floor. 
And it's not about the amount of money Lin wants, it's the structuring of the contract. That balloon payment is the issue. 

Originally Posted by TraSoul82

Originally Posted by Korean Krossover

Lin's gonna get paid, but he needs to drop the whole "I'm surprised they didn't just match" nonsense. Speaking of nonsense, this "marketability" argument for signing Lin exposes the folks who really care about their team as a whole or quality basketball. Who cares if he's making extra money if he doesn't work out? Who cares about China marketing if his knee doesn't appear to be 100% and could worsen? So you would actually approve of your team taking on a novelty for marketing dollars at the cost of a contending team? To make it worse, you'd have to make an extra effort to make your money back while putting a suspect product on the floor. 
And it's not about the amount of money Lin wants, it's the structuring of the contract. That balloon payment is the issue. 
this.  We're talking about basketball here.  All this marketing campaign stuff doesnt really matter if your team doesnt make the playoffs anytime soon, or are 1st round exits.
"This aint about your business class String...this aint THAT part of it...this that OTHER thang"
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Lin is over rated trash.

Knicks problem is the signed a chucker , and a past prime STAT to big money deals.

Knicks never had a problem getting money. Even in the D'Antoni era little kids from Long Island had on Gallanari jerseys in the Garden. In the best case scenario do you really think the stock is just going to keep climbing? Like if Lin is actually solid player you don't think MSG stock prices will eventually level out? I think they made enough money on him, especially if they're afraid he's going to get exposed in a full season.

^Winning solves everything solarius & TraSoul, and if that happens, it'll basically negate all of that. Keep in mind, we're talking about 2 franchises trying to stop running in circles.

http://www.sbnation.com/n...-contract-knicks-rockets

Spoiler [+]
J.R. Smith 'Without A Doubt' Thinks Jeremy Lin Contract Could Be Locker Room Issue

"I'm sure the city would love to have him back, but the team decided to go in a different direction," Smith said. "It's nothing personal, I don't think, just business. We just hope everybody can benefit from here.

"I don't really know how Mr. Dolan feels at this point with what the luxury tax is now and what it used to be, but I just hope it works out the best for both of them."

Asked if Lin's contract could cause a challenging dynamic with his teammates, Smith agreed.

"Without a doubt," he said. "I think some guys take it personal, because they've been doing it longer and haven't received any reward for it yet. I think it's a tough subject to touch on for a lot of guys."

Knicks fans turning on Lin is so
laugh.gif
to me. This whole free agency it's been, Dolan has deep pockets. What's a lux tax to him/the Knicks. Knicks are gonna match. 'Up to a billion dollars' and Knicks fans laughed right along with that Tweet from Stein. Marketing. Revenue. Now in the past couple of days it's, Lin has a big head. He's all about the money. He was 85 percent, but didn't play in the playoffs. His knee. The third year is ridiculous. Knicks are better off. It was all good 48 hours ago
laugh.gif

It's tough, but it's because of these new loopholes in the CBA that allowed Lin to get what he's going to get now. It's not his fault the Rockets found a way to take advantage of the system. Who knows if this is his last chance to cash in (hopefully not), but it's possible, nothing is guaranteed.

To answer the question I would say yes- that extra money they'll have to pay will be worth it if he continues to play well and they continue to cash in on his success. There's unlimited $$$ to be had if he continues to succeed.
Obviously, the tough part about it is if the Knicks really believe he can be an star-caliber PG in a few years; if they think that answer is no, then I don't blame them for not matching.
My opinion on Lin going forward is that he could be a very quality starting PG (15 pts, 8 assists) but he will in no way shape or form be worth 15 million a year basketball-wise. I do think it'd be worth matching since I'd feel like I can make up for it in with the marketing side of things.

That being said as a fan of Lin I'd like him on the Knicks more than the Rockets.

I am a Lin supporter, and think he will perform tremendously in Houston, even surprising people with how well he's going to do there.

However, if I'm in the Knicks FO, I just can't match that offer. Quite frankly, he hasn't done enough to warrant that contract, end of story. The sample size on his career is far too small. The Knicks without a doubt made the right call on this, even if he goes on to Houston and turns it out. (Which I think he will. 15 to 20 ppg with 5 to 7 assist)

Besides, it's not like the Knicks "NEED" Lin anyway. With Melo and Amare there, and Smith there, with the team they have, they need what I think Felton and Kidd can give them. If Lin were to be a Knick, I think that would be cheating Lin out of how good he could potentially be. With Lin in Houston, he can thrive.

If I'm the Knicks I let him walk. He cannot coexist with Melo. We saw a similar scenario in Denver with AI. He's not a true PG and he has a looong way to go if you want to mold him into one. He's just an all around bad passer -- accuracy, timing and decision making are all poor. But when he doesn't have to feed anybody he's a very good scorer. He's worth the money to Houston but the way the Knicks roster is, he's not worth that and he doesn't fit in.

Originally Posted by NYelectric

Knicks never had a problem getting money. Even in the D'Antoni era little kids from Long Island had on Gallanari jerseys in the Garden. In the best case scenario do you really think the stock is just going to keep climbing? Like if Lin is actually solid player you don't think MSG stock prices will eventually level out? I think they made enough money on him, especially if they're afraid he's going to get exposed in a full season.

i think it may be more of the chinese sponsorship. look at the rockets when they had yao. either way, lin and the knicks basically made money off one another. cant knock them for their decisions. let houston sign him and move on.a part of me thinks both sides want to split from one another. lin was dantoni's guy, i dont think woodson really cares whether he stays or goes. also, if you were lin, you would be a little upset if they were trying to get nash.

Originally Posted by franchise3

laugh.gif
to me. This whole free agency it's been, Dolan has deep pockets. What's a lux tax to him/the Knicks. Knicks are gonna match. 'Up to a billion dollars' and Knicks fans laughed right along with that Tweet from Stein. Marketing. Revenue. Now in the past couple of days it's, Lin has a big head. He's all about the money. He was 85 percent, but didn't play in the playoffs. His knee. The third year is ridiculous. Knicks are better off. It was all good 48 hours ago
laugh.gif
ALL of this
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by franchise3

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
ALL of this
laugh.gif

No, he can bring in lots of money, but he's not hard to figure out. Once they do that its a wrap.

Plus not playing in the playoffs when your able to is a slap in the face to the Knicks.

Back
Top Bottom