I got a question for you bros Vol. Manhood + Drivers Liscence

I have a friend who doesn't even have his permit. Safe to say it gets annoying sometimes when he basically expects rides because we know he isn't capable of driving himself. Blames it on his parents being foreign as to why he doesn't go for his permit test and eventually the license :smh: .

I couldn't wait to get my license. Between Drivers Ed and my dad teaching me, I was ready to go on my own once I passed my road test. Taught myself highway driving as well.

Last edited:
His age doesn't make a difference

My point is not knowing how to drive doesn't stop ****

Is it useful? absolutely

But you in here acting like if you can't drive all hope for a successful adult life is lost and the person must be some lazy loser and that's just not always the case

But that's usually the problem with generalizations I guess

You got tho fam anybody that can't drive ain't **** nor will they ever be

Last edited:
So why did he decide on getting his license in the end?...if according to you it makes no difference?

And I NEVER said not having a DL = you not being **** or having a chance at ever being anything :lol: here we go with the #NTextremes

Firstly, relating steezy's inability to procreate, to a willingness to not learn a valuable skill, is a logical fallacy. **** should have never been mentioned.

Secondly, his original post came off as a bit dickish but we all know what he meant. There are certain skills a person should know.

Like cooking or washing your own clothes. I lose respect for people that can't do these things simply because they refuse to.

There is no benefit to not learning how and depending on others. A man and a woman should be as self dependent as possible.

If you don't know how to wash your own clothes and your reasoning is "Bae wash my clothes", I do lose respect for you and see you as less of a man.

I wouldn't go so far as to say you're not a man because you can't do these things but I could cook, clean, iron and wash clothes before I was 13.

If you're 30+ and I learn you can't do that ****, I will see you differently. If you have the ability and the opportunity to learn why would you not?

Makes no sense. You're only hurting yourself.

At least someone sees my point.

I think people (including me) just got caught up in the whole "less of a man" thing. 
Which you didn't even say although it was implied.
Once I got my emotions out of the way and thought about it I realized you were right.
And drilling and painting were terrible examples to help get your point across :lol:

It wasn't implied. He said it outright in the first post.

i feel as a man you should just know how to do certain things IE drive a car, operate a drill, paint a wall, tip your barber, etc.

And it's so stupid and arbitrary to say this -------------------- is the line that defines manhood. Some people think men should be into sports. Never seen steezy in the sports section.
In this thread some pointed out that not knowing how to drive stick is considered not manly. Steezy said he figured out himself how to change a tire. Are you tightening the nuts in the criss cross pattern? A real man would.

See how that works?

As long as a person isn't letting his choice not to learn certain things severely limit his day to day then who cares what he does and doesn't know how to do?

If my dude feels not driving a stick puts you at a disadvantage as a man, that's his view, I don't drive a stick, so in his eyes I'm less of a man, does that mean I am?...NO!...so why would I get upset over it....ya dudes way too sensitive to discuss topics and have a difference of opinions.

Steezy said that as a man you should know how to do certain things.

He never explicitly said it makes one less of a man to not know how.

They too caught up in their feels to have the discussion....something about telling certain dudes as men they should be doing certain things that throw them over the edge.

As a man in your 30's you should be paying bills and living on your own...

NTers be like "da fu** you mean...I'm in good terms with my parents and im a man!"

Well, if you live in a city where you don't need a car, its understandable.

Is not the point tho, even if you don't need a car because you live in the city, knowing how to drive serves of benefit to you and those around you....you can be a person people depend on, you can be that friend that takes responsability as te designated driver, you can split time with family behind the wheel on a road trip, etc etc....

So many +'a to knowing and not one single - ya can come up with.

Eh like posted before if you're in a big city it's excusable. Real issue is not knowing how to drive stick if you do know how to drive. That ish is inexcusable as a man
roll.gif
y'all are funny. y'all connect all these dumb ***, none substantial things to manhood.

taking care of your family. nah.

being honest and having integrity. nope.

standing your ground and determining the path of your life. nuh uh.

driving a car with manual transmission. now THAT'S a sign of being a man.
As someone that drives a car with a manual transmission, +1. 
laugh.gif
  Some dudes really overcompensate.

With regard to the topic at hand, I somewhat agree.  I feel like any able-bodied person over the age of 20 should know how to drive a car.  What I don't agree with is the emphasis on gender (stressing that a man should know how to drive a car without acknowledging a need for women to know).  There are certain skills that everyone should have a grasp on regardless of whether you're a man or woman (cooking, fixing things around the house, doing laundry, etc.).  Driving is one of them.

If my dude feels not driving a stick puts you at a disadvantage as a man, that's his view, I don't drive a stick, so in his eyes I'm less of a man, does that mean I am?...NO!...so why would I get upset over it....ya dudes way too sensitive to discuss topics and have a difference of opinions.

That's exactly your view on people not knowing how to drive automatic.

but to me is a little weird to be a grown *** man and not know how to operate a vehicle

You're right he never explicitly put it out there. we can all infer though. When you say "as a man you should know...." The other side of it
is easy to guess.

Last edited:
Im crying at Liscence :rofl:

im 19 in NY just getting started on my license now :smokin

Last edited:
only reason i picked up driving is cause females love a dude that can drive. never heard one say they'll accept a guy that doesnt drive

Real life...I can't cook for ****.
I have ZERO interest in learning.

The few times Ive tried... It's been disgusting.

I don't think this makes me less of a human being. And you shouldn't think so either.

Last edited:
As a NYer, driving is no where near the top of skills to learn.  Women from the city generally don't hold it against you if you can't or don't.

Low incentive for us.  I learned because my mom moved out to Long Island and when I'm there she have me doing errands. Unless you have a car, your errands will take forever.

I don't think this makes me less of a human being. And you shouldn't think so either.
Less of a human being is a bit extreme, but EVERYONE should know how to do certain things for themselves (ex.: fix a flat, cook a meal, drive a car, do a load of laundry, etc.).  Doesn't matter if you're a man or a woman.  It's just a thing of being self-sufficient. 

As long as you can make a pot of rice and roast a chicken you're good in my book.

If you can't do something that simple then sorry but I do think less of you
ohwell.gif

I won't think you're a worthless piece of **** but I wouldn't hold you as high in regard as I did before. That's all.

I turn 21 at the end of this month and I'm in NYC and I've been trying to learn how to drive since last summer.

Procrastination and laziness has held me back, it's that damn drivers manual book. I don't ever get around to reading that whole thing. :frown:

ksteezy ksteezy Can you or any other NY Nter tell me exactly what I need to read in the manual to pass the permit test? Don't really feel like reading the whole manual.

If you don't know how to drive a tractor trailer then you don't know how to drive ....

Just joking ...even in NYC if you're a grown man and don't know how to drive should be a little embarrassing

I turn 21 at the end of this month and I'm in NYC and I've been trying to learn how to drive since last summer.

Procrastination and laziness has held me back, it's that damn drivers manual book. I don't ever get around to reading that whole thing.
frown.gif

@ksteezy Can you or any other NY Nter tell me exactly what I need to read in the manual to pass the permit test? Don't really feel like reading the whole manual.
It's almost impossible to fail the test for your permit.

Common sense will answer all of the questions you'll need to pass.

Just take a couple practice tests online and you'll see what I mean.

Procrastination and laziness has held me back, it's that damn drivers manual book. I don't ever get around to reading that whole thing.
frown.gif

@ksteezy Can you or any other NY Nter tell me exactly what I need to read in the manual to pass the permit test? Don't really feel like reading the whole manual.
It's almost impossible to fail the test for your permit.

Common sense will answer all of the questions you'll need to pass.

Just take a couple practice tests online and you'll see what I mean.
Confession: I failed the permit test the first time. 
embarassed.gif
mean.gif
laugh.gif

Made up for it by passing my road test first try.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom