I hate Nas for saying hip-hop is dead.

12,104
12
Joined Jan 3, 2008
Gives these damn "purists" more of a reason to make an argument that no other genre of music has to deal with. Self-hate and depreciation.

Without saying too much i'll say a few things:

if a majority of people like some music...they like it. Theres nothing wrong with that. They just LIKE it. They're aware of everything that goes along withit. They just like it.

Also, I can't play my Roots or Common collection in the club.

With that said, Nas, you have these commenters on blogs annoying the hell out of me talking about what "Hip-Hop" is. IF you want to have your millionman march, go ahead, but dont hate on the next man when you're not popular OR because your music marginalizes the same people you hope to reach.
 
803
10
Joined Nov 29, 2007
People just don't seem to get that hip-hop will never be the way it was 10+ years ago. Just like pro wrestling isn't as popular, or other genres ofentertainment. They can't cope so they get on their high horse and preach, condemn, and all that other mumbo-jumbo. Its a case of Grumpy Old Men.
 
571
13
Joined Apr 29, 2004
People were saying Hip Hop was dead long before NAS used it , it has nothing to do with him .

Step ya game up .
 
73,629
29,914
Joined Nov 20, 2007
I'm mad at Nas cuz I was saying that shh 3 years prior. I should've coined it on a youtube vid and find a way to own the phrase but alas the dust headMC went hard with it.

As for you if you don't like it don't be around it, ignore it, don't visit those blog sites. You complaining about something that annoys you. Youshould take your own advice;. If a majority or minority of people feel a certain way about a genre of music or culture, they are entitled to their opinionwhether or not they're riding with or using some phrase or slogan someone else got popular. They too are aware of everything that goes along with it or atleast they should but then again I can't confidently say the same for the ppl you claim who do.

Hate for most unfortunately or fortunately is subjective. That's something you should realize. A person or people can "hate on" whoever orwhatever they choose for any reason valid or ignorant. That's just how it is but like I said if you can't deal with the climate and how things havechanged ignore it.

Now that I think about it mad MCs been saying Hip Hop Is Dead since '96
Nas just named his album that. I guess some feel hip hop is dead at different times.
 

m16

Banned
2,799
10
Joined Apr 3, 2009
The idea was present long before Nas said it and the irony of it all was "Hip Hop is Dead" ended up as a strong contender for his worst album ever.

Obviously there is 'club/party' type music, and different people will 'like' different things; the main issue is that the quality of music as awhole suffered. In the end, trying to branch out to as many people as possible is the real problem. That doesn't mean you should try on purpose to makeunappealing music; but you should still put out quality that reflects who you are.. not trash that doesn't even take advantage of your talent for no otherreason than having 12-16 year old girls in Idaho play your @+#%.

Typically people aren't "hating" because the other person is popular... that's just become a given with making *##%$% music over the last fewyears. The real problem is the *##%$% music itself. Not because there are stupid people out there who like to listen to trash, but because it ends up hurtingthe genre as a whole. There are enough of these idiots out there that the garbage they like becomes confused with real rap instead of what it is: hip-POP.That's the real tragedy of the situation. Morons who can't tell you what the Juice Crew is have no problem discussing GOAT rappers/albums andeventually the ignorance spreads.

BTW, I know for a fact this is also present in other genre's; one of my friends feels the exact same way about rock music.
 
568
10
Joined Nov 16, 2007
Originally Posted by M16

The idea was present long before Nas said it and the irony of it all was "Hip Hop is Dead" ended up as a strong contender for his worst album ever.

Obviously there is 'club/party' type music, and different people will 'like' different things; the main issue is that the quality of music as a whole suffered. In the end, trying to branch out to as many people as possible is the real problem. That doesn't mean you should try on purpose to make unappealing music; but you should still put out quality that reflects who you are.. not trash that doesn't even take advantage of your talent for no other reason than having 12-16 year old girls in Idaho play your @+#%.

Typically people aren't "hating" because the other person is popular... that's just become a given with making *##%$% music over the last few years. The real problem is the *##%$% music itself. Not because there are stupid people out there who like to listen to trash, but because it ends up hurting the genre as a whole. There are enough of these idiots out there that the garbage they like becomes confused with real rap instead of what it is: hip-POP. That's the real tragedy of the situation. Morons who can't tell you what the Juice Crew is have no problem discussing GOAT rappers/albums and eventually the ignorance spreads.

BTW, I know for a fact this is also present in other genre's; one of my friends feels the exact same way about rock music.
Yup i've heard that sentiment plenty of times my self.

Anyway, i think why the self-depreciation might not happen so much in rock for example is because they really breakdown the sub-genre. People for the mostpart don't just throw everything as just plain rock. You got Metal, Hard Rock, Soft Rock, Indie Rock, Art Rock, Prog Rock, Punk, etc. By being morespecific with the classifications people don't get so mad because you're not comparing apples and oranges. If you don't like it its probably justin a genre you don't particularly enjoy. You don't have that so much in Rap. Soulja Boy's **!* is called Hip-Hop/Rap just like Nas' **!* justlike Lupe's and Rick Ross'. If the groups were more clearly defined on a consistent basis maybe you don't hear this as often. Not sure if thismade sense to anyone else, but it made sense in my head before i started typing.
 
5,811
391
Joined Jan 30, 2007
Some of y'all are confusing Hip Hop with rap.

Rap is not the only element of Hip Hop.

Hip Hop as a whole IS dead.
 
2,746
10
Joined Jul 11, 2007
How much longer is hip-hop going to be musically relevant though?

Look at the progression from the 80s, 90s, even early 00s to now. Lots of progression, musically and lyrically. Now, most rappers, even those who people rideconstantly like Drake, Wale, etc. and proclaim to be "innovative" really aren't.

Maybe hip-hop reached a wall or ceiling of some sorts. At least in its current state.
 
5,811
391
Joined Jan 30, 2007
But those are the aspects that make the culture what it is. Everytime the comment is brought up ppl only focus on the music side of it, but it aint the onlyside of it.

3/4 elements being on life support = dead.
 

m16

Banned
2,799
10
Joined Apr 3, 2009
Originally Posted by iHateTimeDotCom

Originally Posted by SEND ONE

Some of y'all are confusing Hip Hop with rap.




Rap is not the only element of Hip Hop.




Hip Hop as a whole IS dead.
while certain aspects are dying like graf and bboying the culture will never die...
 
1,987
10
Joined May 3, 2009
Originally Posted by NO ESCAPIN THIS

People were saying Hip Hop was dead long before NAS used it , it has nothing to do with him .

Step ya game up .
With that said, Hip Hop is dead came out over three years ago...you been letting this sit on your chest for that long?
 

m16

Banned
2,799
10
Joined Apr 3, 2009
It's still alive and well in the underground. Everything from the graffiti to DJ'ing and most importantly, quality MC'ing. I don't thinkB-Boying even matters, but that is still alive and well. Look at hugely popular shows and movies about it. If anything it's getting more popular.
 
5,811
391
Joined Jan 30, 2007
Look at hugely popular shows and movies about it. If anything it's getting more popular.
I know you aint talking about those dance shows on mtv. That %$!@ aint b-boying.
 
6,032
10
Joined Jul 13, 2007
Originally Posted by M16

It's still alive and well in the underground. Everything from the graffiti to DJ'ing and most importantly, quality MC'ing. I don't think B-Boying even matters, but that is still alive and well. Look at hugely popular shows and movies about it. If anything it's getting more popular.

Why do you think B-Boying doesn't matter? B-Boyers were probably the first group to care about the customization/appearance of their shoes. They were theOG sneakerheads.
 
2,746
10
Joined Jul 11, 2007
as if this thread has anything to do with the other "elements" of hip-hop. when nas said it, he meant rap music, so did op. stop jumpingoff-course.
 

m16

Banned
2,799
10
Joined Apr 3, 2009
The shows and crews are trash, and I never really cared for b-boying period but technically yeah, some of that is really "b-boying". Like I saidthough, I don't see how not having some dude spinning around on stage during a show means hip hop is dead when we still have dudes ripping mic's toshreds with a DJ cutting it up live on stage. With graffiti, I can only talk about what I know around here in NYC and yeah, its less visible because ofGuiliani and his cracking down on it (subway cars in the 70's and 80's
) but its far from dead. Plenty of legendary taggers still around.

I do agree with you that the culture is basically dead in the mainstream though. Hip hop has become nothing more than "hot beats" and catchy hooks.
 
73,629
29,914
Joined Nov 20, 2007
I don't think B-Boying even matters
It's that type of thinking that starts killing it. People will ignore or take out certain parts and focus on one area thinking that it isbecoming better when it's just becoming more one dimensional. You say "most importantly, MC'ing" but lets not forget there was a time whenthe DJ was the main focus and the MC was the sidekick. Yes times change and things evolve but it's not always progression. End up sacrificing most of itjust to propel one part.
while certain aspects are dying like graf and bboying the culture will never die...
I'm sure ppl said the same about Disco. It's gonna get to the point where ppl think hip hop culture solely revolves around rap. I ainteven gonna front like I'm out there tagging up 2, 4, and 5 trains at 2am or setting up somewhere in Central Park dancing on a flattened cardboard box butthere was a time all of this was prominent in the culture.

Realistically speaking I wouldn't be surprised if hip hop eventually does die off for the most part and the only thing that even resembles it decades fromnow is some "rap artist" from Delaware spittin over some techno auto tuned pop beat
 

m16

Banned
2,799
10
Joined Apr 3, 2009
Let's be serious though, it was definitely progression. I listen to music from the 80's daily and love that era, but I would say going from an MCshouting "throw ya hands up" to dropping knowledge/real lyrics is definitely progression. Those party type tracks only go so far before we want thePublic Enemies, the KRS-One's, the G Rap's etc.

DJ'ing is however still the cornerstone of a live show as far as I'm concerned. A rapper can be piss drunk on stage spitting wrong lyrics and lookinglike a fool but if a DJ is on point no one really cares. Other way around though....


Anyway, like TIME said, I'm pretty sure Nas was only talking about rap. Otherwise he was more than a decade late with his statement. So this discussion iskinda pointless.
 
571
13
Joined Apr 29, 2004
Im pretty sure he was talking the culture itself , Nas was heavy in the scene and came up around alot of pioneers .

I look at graffiti in NYC nowadays ...yeah, kids are bombing , but it`s a bunch of toys with no style and no respect . They go over veterans and legends of thegame like it's nothing , they don't care about the game ... it`s all fly by night . This basically has translated into the entire scene . MCing is dead, I can't even remember the last time I saw a rhyme cypher . ..dudes going off the head , having fun , sharpening their skills . People are callingthemselves rappers after penning one verse on paper , STOP! Dudes are producers now cuz they have a program on their PC . Bboying is pretty much so undergroundthat cat`s dont even know the artform . Hip Hop cultrure is being preserved by Europeans and Asians . They are the record collectors , the real DJ`s , the cat****ting trains with style , they respect the art , they respect the past and they study it .
 

m16

Banned
2,799
10
Joined Apr 3, 2009
Good point on the Europeans, I noticed they are some of the most dedicated and knowledgeable fan bases out. Japan has a pretty respectable hip hop scene too.
 
23,950
1,827
Joined May 18, 2005
Yup, they have hip hop festivals/concerts in Europe, they teach kids how to dj and b boy in free seminars.

Youtube search "looptroop" and you'll hear a love of dj'ing and fighting for the right to tag.

Its wrong to say hip hop is officially dead, but its backlash to the fact that hip hop (mainstream) is being represented by marketing plans, sales strategies,and men using ghostwriters and ghost production as a way clean their drug money.

EDIT: and 90% of the people that say its not dead have a financial gain in the crap that's on the radio, kids rapping and execs.
 
8,933
30
Joined May 28, 2008
OptimusPrimeAPhiA wrote: [hr][/hr]I hate Nas for saying hip-hop is dead. gucci mane, Fool a Wack rapper...
gucci fans did back 2 da trap house go Platinum? Show me da source IF IT DID ( WHICH I DOUBT )...
 

jay2345

Banned
118
10
Joined May 4, 2009
Originally Posted by Guerrilla Warfare

OptimusPrimeAPhiA wrote: [hr][/hr]I hate Nas for saying hip-hop is dead. gucci mane, Fool a Wack rapper...
gucci fans did back 2 da trap house go Platinum? Show me da source IF IT DID ( WHICH I DOUBT )...





He went gold.....did soulja slim go plat???? O my bad when was the last time B.G., Turk, and juvie went plat??? 99 and the 2000 is over we 9 years in wherethem ninjas at
 
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker or head over to our upgrade page to donate for an ad-free experience Upgrade now