I just filed for unemployment. What should I expect

So, my job let me go in October, the day before halloween due to attendance issues. I called in one day because I had to go to court and it took a bit longer than I thought, the next day I come in they tell me I didnt call, whatever. The past few months I've just been grinding trying to find a job and depleted my saving so, today I finally broke down and filed an unemployment claim. People with experience with this, what should I expect??

It all comes down to where you live and what you made each quarter.

Im pretty sure they give a break down on how they do it on their website, so you can get an idea of how much youll be getting.

You waited for your savings to finish up to file for unemployment?
laugh.gif

It's possible you may not get it. When let go for attendance issues you are considered to be at fault, not your employer. You'll have to prove that reason for the attendance issue is just and that your employer was aware.

yeah man, have ALL your paperwork necessary. your employer will try to fight it. have record of the court date, the phone call etc. my gf just applied and went through hell but finally won and got a nice 4k in lump sum for back pay. in order to NOT qualify they have to prove you were insubordinate or purposely caused the company financial burden.

basically:
1. apply
2. expect a call from edd asking you what happened, blame it on your employer. do not blame yourself for anything. theyll then talk to your employer and make a decision.
3. if you don't win in step two be prepared to fight.
4. next is a phone "case" where they call you both by phone and get your side of the story. get your facts straight and keep it simple, straight to the point. don't say too much.
5. if edd sides with you thats it, (unless employer appeals). If they side with employer, APPEAL NO MATTER WHAT. you will now get a chance to meet up in person face to face with employer and judge and get to show all your paper work, schedule, letter from coworkers backing you up etc.
6. this is when it all goes down. make your employer look shady as hell. say they been trying to fire people for anything blah blah blah. judges normally side with employees believe it or not.
7. whatever is decided in step 6 is final decision. good luck

hopefully your process is smooth but it can get very hectic and stressful. keep your head up.

Dont give up and dont get used to the unemployment. Continue to look for that next job while getting the unemployment.

Originally Posted by blacklion23

It's possible you may not get it. When let go for attendance issues you are considered to be at fault, not your employer. You'll have to prove that reason for the attendance issue is just and that your employer was aware.

This. To me it sounds like you were let go(aka fired) for poor attendance issues, which is no fault of your employer. The only way you can collect unemployment is if you are let go because of a fault from the employer(aka down sizing). Sorry OP it looks bleek!

I've collected unemployment once because I was being under-worked. I'm talking 12 hours a week most times. (I think they use "lack of work" for that experience). So, being fired isn't the only way to collect. It's very easy to grow complacent collecting. Continue plugging away and use your friends and family for possible hook-ups. 

Expect a run around. State workers are rude as hell. All claims work in 10 day increments. If you do win in court on a dispute, don't mess up on your weekly claim forms (not filling in bubbles completely, unreadable writing, etc.) they usually send notice of errors on the same day you're expecting a check or deposit. Nothing worse then expecting money and instead getting notification that you need to resubmit a form. Goodluck in court, I got denied in court the first time around. Them judges are employer biased as hell! Now I'm chillin on unemployment til I leave for the military in may.

RIP.

Attendance issues are on you, not the employer. Also, waiting 4 months doesn't help you.

Originally Posted by KingPiff

So, my job let me go in October, the day before halloween due to attendance issues. I called in one day because I had to go to court and it took a bit longer than I thought, the next day I come in they tell me I didnt call, whatever. The past few months I've just been grinding trying to find a job and depleted my saving so, today I finally broke down and filed an unemployment claim. People with experience with this, what should I expect??

Be honest. They didn't let you go because you were late one day. Fired because of attendance issues means you don't quality for unemployment.

I was laid off as a cashier for Burger King. File for unemployment and now I'm receiving $400 a week! Working FTL! I feel bad for you fools.

Originally Posted by Night Marcher01

I was laid off as a cashier for Burger King. File for unemployment and now I'm receiving $400 a week! Working FTL! I feel bad for you fools.

thats not bad at all, did you even make that as a BK cashier?

Originally Posted by Night Marcher01

Lol.

If you get it, enjoy it, serious.

I be jelly of my fam who get it, making just as much as I do, if not more... and they just sit on %@% all day.

funemployment was great.

99 weeks of getting funemployment while traveling all over the place (while my brother would fill my claim forms out for me) on top of financial aid money, ebay money, and under the table work money all at the same time. 2009-2011 were great times.

my girl got laid off from her job a few months back, she gets the maximum amount possible weekly in california. a vegas weekend will be in the works courtesy of her unemployment check.

op in regards to the attendance issues, if they don't have write ups and warning letters that you signed your attendance issues have no impact. unless you completely screwed up you'll be getting those checks every 2 weeks.

Originally Posted by Rex Ryan

funemployment was great.

99 weeks of getting funemployment while traveling all over the place (while my brother would fill my claim forms out for me) on top of financial aid money, ebay money, and under the table work money all at the same time. 2009-2011 were great times.

my girl got laid off from her job a few months back, she gets the maximum amount possible weekly in california. a vegas weekend will be in the works courtesy of her unemployment check.

op in regards to the attendance issues, if they don't have write ups and warning letters that you signed your attendance issues have no impact. unless you completely screwed up you'll be getting those checks every 2 weeks.

You're absolutely correct forgot about this.

SMH at waiting 4 months to file for unemployment.

Also from the way you describe your situation on how you lost your job. It sounds more like you were fired and not laid off. Either way it sure as heck sounds like you left on bad terms with your last employer.

Good luck trying to get un employment checks now.

I never felt more American til the day I filed for unemployment.

But these $@!#%%$ dudes found a way to incorrectly file my social security number.

Unemployment was great!!! got me thru some rough stretches, still collected from another state while I worked in another, so I had extra $$

Originally Posted by KingPiff

You will most likely NOT be able to recieve UEB. One you were fired for attendance issues, more than likely (think 9/10) your job will block it. During your appeal both the time you took to appeal as well as your attendance issues will come in to play.

Seems to me your SOL

eek.gif
at how easy it is to get unemployment nowadays. When I was on it, it was hard as hell, they had almost weekly meetings you had to attend about things like job searches, resume writing, soemtimes Employer sponsored where they'd make everyone apply, and in the end of all of it I actually ended up having to pay back every penny I received due to a stupid technicality.

Back
Top Bottom