I need NTs help. VOL. Unpaid bar tab

I'm going to try to make the story as short as possible but I need some help...
I'm 20 years old and last night I got real drunk and went downtown with some friends. In my city you half to be 21 to enter the bar but the bar didn't check my ID so I was all good. Somehow my bar tab ran up to $132 when I only had $19 in my account. I'm assuming I was all drunk allowing people to just throw drinks on my tab. Well obviously at the end of the night the card wouldn't go through for that much and the owners were pissed. They were going to call the cops but instead they have my phone and military id (i'm not in the service my stepdad is) for collateral and I am supposed to go up there and pay when they open up tonight. So my question to NT is can I just go to Verizon and make up a story about me dropping my phone in the water or something along that lines and pay my $50 insurance and not have to worry about the bar tab?

Originally Posted by southernbeast

I'm going to try to make the story as short as possible but I need some help...
I'm 20 years old and last night I got real drunk and went downtown with some friends. In my city you half to be 21 to enter the bar but the bar didn't check my ID so I was all good. Somehow my bar tab ran up to $132 when I only had $19 in my account. I'm assuming I was all drunk allowing people to just throw drinks on my tab. Well obviously at the end of the night the card wouldn't go through for that much and the owners were pissed. They were going to call the cops but instead they have my phone and military id (i'm not in the service my stepdad is) for collateral and I am supposed to go up there and pay when they open up tonight. So my question to NT is can I just go to Verizon and make up a story about me dropping my phone in the water or something along that lines and pay my $50 insurance and not have to worry about the bar tab?
reported to the FBI

Yeah you can. But they still have your dad's military ID. (I think.)

If it goes unpaid, they can just report you to the military, who will then know you were drinking underage at a bar, and could possibly get you into more trouble.

Just take the L. They've probably copied all of the info from the I.D. and they now have your phone and any important contacts you may have had.

Go pay.

roll.gif
Probably!

I don't have the money to pay $132. The military id is my picture but I'm not in the service,  I just have one because I'm a dependent. I'm not worried about the military id. I'm worried about them calling the cops on me.

I can give my parents the same story that I would give Verizon about the phone to get the $50. I cant tell my parents I need $132 for a bar tab.

Does the bar owner know you're underage? If he called the cops and cop finds out you're not of age, their ABC license is going to be suspended.

You should have just let them call the cops. You would have gotten into a little trouble for drinking under age, like a ticket. But they would have gotten hefty fines for allowing you to drink and they would have just let you go.

They have to know I am underage because they have the military id. Thats why I'm not too sure that they would actually do something with the law to try to get their money back for the tab.

Originally Posted by whyte1der05five

I woulda just told the bar theyre beat.

Shoulda said Im only 20 yrs old and for them to kick rocks.

basically...they weren't gonna take that chance its their fault for not asking for id 

ask your friends to help you out

if you dont pay it, you will get into legal problems

Originally Posted by whyte1der05five

I woulda just told the bar theyre beat.

Shoulda said Im only 20 yrs old and for them to kick rocks.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
 Word.

It's not even like you gave them a fake ID, they just didn't check it.

And on top of that, they have the ID. So it's not like they can say that you gave them a fake one.

If under any circumstances you could pay...then pay. Ask 10 of your friends each for $10, and get the rest from your parents.

But you probably get away with not paying.

if you go up there right now, you can get out of the tab.

any contract entered into while you are drunk can be voided by the drunk party (you) upon becoming sober.

you have to act on voiding the contract as soon as you become sober though.

The most important thing to do in this situation, is to get that military ID back, and or getting a new one.

This is why I never buy more than 1 drink at a bar, I pregame this stuff.

ebay id: Airmaxwun

Originally Posted by southernbeast

"rsdplaya" please explain that to me a tad bit better
A person may avoid any contract that he/she enters into if the other party has to know that, because of intoxication, he/she is unable either to understand the nature and consequences of his actions or to act in a reasonable manner.  Restatement 16.

Such contracts are voidable, although they may be ratified when the intoxicated person regains capacity (becomes sober).  Slight intoxication will not destroy one's contractual capacity, but neither is it essential that one be so drunk as to be totally without reason or understanding. 

Most courts require that the intoxicated person on regaining his capacity must act promptly to disaffirm the contract.

...basically, if you're drunk, you are able to get out of a contract (your bar tab) that you entered into, but you have to act as soon as you sober up to do so.  This goes for anything that isn't considered a necessity (which alcohol is not
laugh.gif
).  This is the law, but of course the problem is getting the bar owner to actually go along with this...might be tough.

Back
Top Bottom