I want to learn how to play piano

yo that version of hey there delilah was
smokin.gif

Originally Posted by nycknicks105

Originally Posted by Big J 33

I took lessons from about 6-12 when I was younger. I completely regret not continuing my lessons or taking them more seriously. I still play when I can, but since I'm in a dorm right now, I have no way of playing.

I would recommend getting a teacher first and foremost, but of course a lot of us don't have time for that when we're older. I would recommend just getting a book and practicing until your fingers are tired.

Some people have different views and thoughts on it, but personally I'm not a big fan or believer in just learning how to play a certain song rather than learning how to play, then learning how to play songs. I know a couple people who would just practice one song to try to impress people and that kind of annoyed me because I took lessons and they didn't know anything about piano theory, but that's just me probably
laugh.gif

Best advice, if you want to compose music, I highly recommend a teacher. Some people could pick up on it by just the book, but I couldn't imagine trying to learn how to play without the help of a teacher.

just want to learn how to play the piano man

And I just gave you my advice and experience from playing the piano for the last 12 years.

Take it for what it is, and like others have mentioned, composing music can be pretty difficult. A few of my friends wrote and composed their own music fora band of there's which features a lot of piano and they're LEAGUES above me and I've played since I was little.

I've taught myself how to play. I've been giving the gift of playing by ear though. I have by no means perfected it. It's alot of practice to getgood. I'm still not good, no where near it. I also played the trumpet in middle school so I knew a little on reading music. Theres information out there asfar as music theory. I can post a link if you need it.

I can't read music and play at the same time...

I plan on getting lessons some day, because there are things that experienced people can teach you that you can't learn on your own.

I'm also teaching myself how to play guitar which makes playing the piano, seem like a piece of red velvet cake.

That "My heart will go on", looks very simple...

Originally Posted by I AM THE WALRUS 1

I was you, 1.5 years ago.

Simply buy this book: http://www.scotthouston.com/store/product.php?productid=16133&cat=3&page=1

and go from there.

You will learn how to play "fake" music, which is just a different, easier style. Musical background is very helpful, but not required. It will just be more work.

After about 6-8 months of reading this book and practicing with a fake book, I recorded these videos.

Some are better than others.

A big question is, how much musical experience do you have?

�Please don't take offense to this, but get some rhythm and use some emotion please!
laugh.gif

Yo nycknicks105, sorry that comment wasn't directed towards you. I would suggest taking classes from a teacher though. That how I startedoff with the guitar and it faired well form me. Good luck though, I hope to start the piano this year, so I am right with you. PM me in a few months and letssee how things are progressing.

�Please don't take offense to this, but get some rhythm and use some emotion please!

I know what you mean... that was about 8 months ago so I have improved much since then... especially Hey There Delilah is shaky...

But I do have rhythm after playing drumline for four years in high school, two of them on tenor drum
happy.gif

I am the walrus, nice sn, avy

I taught myself to play the piano, you just gotta put time into it, and be patient. I'm not the best, I just like to every now and then learn a song ortwo. I played trumpet in junior high, so I knew how to read music, and I just applied that to the piano. I can also play a little by ear, too and that helps.If you can read music, you can play songs, it just takes patience. For me, the hardest part was getting my hands coordinated to be independent of each other. Ialso have been teaching myself the guitar lately, and that has helped a little bit in learning music theory, which has helped me on the piano a bit. So for me,considering how I learned, I would just buy some simple music books on how to read music, then you can learn to play simple songs, and you'll progressnicely if you stick with it.

I want to learn how to play the piano too. not to hi-jack or anything but.....
does anyone know which is easier to learn out of the guitar and the piano?

A lot more people teach themselves to play guitar than piano. If you listen to musician's interviews, rock bands, etc, you'll hear about 50% of themsay they taught themselves. I would say you can learn either, and they will be about the same difficulty level, but to become really advanced, its a lot easieron the guitar than on the piano. just my opinion from playing a little of both and from things I've heard.

I'd recommend getting a teacher. I took lessons for quite a number of years. After that I just brushed it all off, played on my own. There's a bigdifference in how I use to play and how I play now. I'm lacking a lot of technique.

I would start with learning how to read music, but that's just me.
I'm a guitar player and I don't have too much of a need for it.

However, if you're dead serious about the piano, you need to know how to read music.

EDIT: Honestly, it's not all that hard to learn how.
After you learn that and hand techniques, you'll be able to play SO many things.

Originally Posted by nycknicks105

Originally Posted by I AM THE WALRUS 1

You will learn how to play "fake" music, which is just a different, easier style. Musical background is very helpful, but not required. It will just be more work.

After about 6-8 months of reading this book and practicing with a fake book, I recorded these videos.

What is fake music?
Fake music just means that the chords (left hand) are above the melody line (right hand) as a letter, not in the bass clef. It's almost like piano tabs. No one can really tell the difference besides other piano players.

Its really hard to explain if you dont have a musical background. Just buy the book, or go off of YouTube self-teaching videos for each song... there are a million out there.

but i eventually want to compose my own work....

there is no way you'll be composing your own work without any musical background soon. I have been studying music for awhile. I haven't tried,but I'm pretty sure I can't compose something of my own, yet. If you really want to compose, and play at higher levels, it will take a long time. Andseeing that you've never really touched a piano, learning to kick in some ambidexterity (is that a word) will be hard to master. ( rhythm, melody)

After growing up I always asked myself why my mother put me in piano classes... I wish I could learn.

Back
Top Bottom