I'd Like to Present a Discussion Vol. Illegal Immigration

So here's a true story that sounds like bad fiction. Imagine a U.S. immigration agent who was born in a foreign country and, it turns out, is actually undocumented. In spite of serving his country for nearly 25 years, first as a sailor and then as a federal officer, he is suddenly deportable. This is what happened to an agent in South Texas who told his story to NPR's John Burnett.

JOHN BURNETT, BYLINE: More than a million foreign-born people are living in the United States, waiting to convince an immigration judge to let them stay here legally. But none has the profile of Raul Rodriguez. His nightmare started one day in 2018 when he was on the job at a Customs and Border Protection station in South Texas. Two managers came up and told him to surrender his gun and his badge. They had discovered that he was an undocumented immigrant - the same type of person he'd been ejecting for 18 years as a federal immigration agent. They'd found out that he actually had a Mexican birth certificate and had been falsely claiming to be a U.S. citizen all along.

RAUL RODRIGUEZ: So I thought I was doing all the U.S. citizen things - joining the military, voting, serving in a jury. So I did all those things, and now I'm being penalized for that.

BURNETT: The 53-year-old Rodriguez says he never knew that he was born on a ranch near Matamoros, Mexico. It wasn't until he confronted his father a couple of years ago, trying to prove to the government that he was born in the U.S., that he learned his family took him across the border as an infant and paid a midwife to falsify a birth certificate so that he could live and go to school in Texas. Rodriguez says when he was ousted by CBP, he lost all of his friends and colleagues.

This is why DACA is crucial. It could happen to anyone. Those who were brought here/raised by immigrants in this country don't always know what their parents did to keep them here.

This is why DACA is crucial. It could happen to anyone. Those who were brought here/raised by immigrants in this country don't always know what their parents did to keep them here.

this dude had to be a cartel plant

wait this dude joined the military and voted?

this dude had to be a cartel plant

wait this dude joined the military and voted?
It wasn't until he confronted his father a couple of years ago, trying to prove to the government that he was born in the U.S., that he learned his family took him across the border as an infant and paid a midwife to falsify a birth certificate so that he could live and go to school in Texas.

His parents got him a fake US birth certificate.

Back
Top Bottom