If the 2012 USA Team Can Only Carry TWO Point Guards; Who Makes It? CP3, Rose, or Deron?

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

C - Dwight, Noah
PF - Kevin Love, Blake Griffin
SF - Durant, Melo, Lebron (I've got a feeling he doesn't go)
SG - Joe Johnson, Wade, Steph Curry
PG - Derrick Rose, Chris Paul

Looks like a nice bronze winning squad.
pimp.gif

C - Dwight, Noah
For some reason i would rather have Deandre Jordan over Noah. 

Originally Posted by TonyReali

C - Dwight, Noah

Looks like a nice bronze winning squad.
pimp.gif

took the worda right out of my mouth
laugh.gif

For the Olympics you need a guy will facilitate and run the offense. D Will and CP3 do that way better than Rose. Too many great players to have your PG taking a lot of shots and dominating the ball.

Rondo can't shoot or make free throws. There's a reason he didn't even make the team for FIBA.

CP and Dwill for sure. But my guess they'll bring Rose since he is now the MVP out of respect.

I'm more interested in what bigs will play for team USA.

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

Originally Posted by dland24

Why does everyone assume that Rose deserves the number 3 spot over Westbrook? Westbrook was the better player in Turkey.

I knew that you were going to be in here and I knew that you would say this
laugh.gif
roll.gif

I'll just quote what I said in the Russ v Pooh thread about this and save my fingers a few key strokes.

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

Russy was the better player when they were on the court together this summer: They had two completely different roles out there and that was clear as day. He never had the ball in his hands unless he grabbed a board (even then he was giving it up) or made a steal. Other than that he was off the ball, catching and shooting or driving. While Pooh's primary objective was to run the offense, he was the primary ball handler and distributor the entire time he was on the floor whether it was with Russ or Chauncey. He was on the ball attempting to set people up and Russ/Chauncey were off the ball attempting to score.
therefore with what has already been said in terms of USA having enough fire power and needing someone who is willing to defer and play his role (which we saw Pooh do last summer) and not struggle/attempt to be "The Alpha Dog" (which the entire world is watching/complaining about Russy doing right now) why would it be assumed that Russ would be in the discussion over Pooh especially considering what he's done this year?  Then you add in the fact that he didn't play a lick of PG in the WC's, while under the same staff that will coach in the '12 Olympics and there you have it.
This is where I have a problem.  You point to the idea that Russ played off the ball and was a scorer, and Rose was the guy who "played his role" and "primary objective was to run the offense."  Well thats funny because if Russ never had the ball in his hands, you would assume he would end up a ton of less assists than Rose did (he finished 6 less than Rose).  Its funny that if Rose's job was to facilitate and run the offense, he would end up with a ton less shot attempts than Russell did (he finished with 3 less than Russ).  Your circumstances and statistics dont match up at all.

I dont care how you want to slice it.  Russell was the better player in Turkey.  You make these excuses about having different roles....well if that was truly the reason why you think Rose was outplayed, it would also be logical to assume the statistics would prove that excuse to be valid.  But its not.

Originally Posted by dland24

I dont care how you want to slice it.  Russell was the better player in Turkey.  You make these excuses about having different roles....well if that was truly the reason why you think Rose was outplayed, it would also be logical to assume the statistics would prove that excuse to be valid.  But its not.

I didn't use any stats at all, there wasn't any excuses made, he wasn't trusted to have the ball in his hands to run the offense for the FIBA squad why on earth do you think that it would change with the olympic squad.  That was my point, you can dissect it slice it up conjure up whatever reasoning you think for someone attempting to downplay him all you want.  K didn't put the ball in his hands during the World Championships and based upon what he's shown himself to be in the playoffs with another Alpha Dog I see no reason why he would do so now.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by FullMetal

Rondo can't shoot or make free throws. There's a reason he didn't even make the team for FIBA.
He withdrew from competition. But no other pg plays better full court defense than Rondo. I would pick Paul and Rondo, however I too think the team will have more than 2 pg's.

Originally Posted by jetpackbirdy

Originally Posted by FullMetal

He withdrew from competition. 
So that he wouldn't technically be "cut". 

Originally Posted by kvsm23vs24

Always wanted to know what kind of whack nickname is Pooh
laugh.gif

He used to be fat as a shorty and his OG said he reminded her of Winnie the Pooh so she called him Pooh... It stuck

This thread is for the discussion of great or very good USA basketball players, no need to mention Rondo's name.

ZERO chance Rose doesn't make the team. They'll find a spot for him one way or the other. He might not get a lot of burn but he deserves to be on the squad at this point.

it would be a terrible idea to have rose out there running point over those other two........Cp3 and dwill will maximize the talent on the squad way better

Paul
Wade
Durant
James
Howard

Deron
Bryant
Joe Johnson
Melo
Griffin
Amare Stoudemire
Rudy Gay (If healthy.)

Just as good as the 2008 team.

F/C 4 Boozer, Carlos
PG 5 Kidd, Jason (C)
SF 6 James, LeBron
PG 7 Williams, Deron
SG 8 Redd, Michael
SG 9 Wade, Dwyane
SG 10 Bryant, Kobe (C)
F/C 11 Howard, Dwight
PG 13 Paul, Chris
SF 14 Prince, Tayshaun
SF 15 Anthony, Carmelo

Not saying he should make it over him, but Russ is a superior defender/rebounder which is prolly is why I'd prefer him cause I think he could shift over to offguard more easily.

If they can only take 2 then I'd go with CP3 and Dwill, their games just fit better with international ball and how the team would be constructed...

Although I think they'll find a way to put all 3 guys on the squad...

CP3 and D-Will for sure.... Rose yes as a scorer/possible off guard.

Why do people keep throwing out Joe Johnson's name?

Damn I forgot all about Blake.

There is no way in HELL, Kobe sits and Wade starts.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Why do people keep throwing out Joe Johnson's name?

Damn I forgot all about Blake.

There is no way in HELL, Kobe sits and Wade starts.
Joe Johnson has a consistent jumper and would shoot well from the international 3, especially if he's not a main option.

Back
Top Bottom