If you were Dwight Howard, what would you do?

Houston. Makes the most basketball sense to me for him atleast IMO and he can more than make up that 27 million by signing a 3 yr with Houston, then opting out and signing another Max with them.

From ESPN:

Although only the Lakers can offer Howard a five-year deal worth nearly $120 million -- with leading external suitors Houston and Dallas limited to four-year offers worth just under $90 million -- L.A.'s financial advantage in trying to retain to Howard is not as robust as it seems. Not only does the absence of state taxes in Texas narrow the gap, but the strong likelihood that Howard, at 27, would opt out of a new deal to return to free agency before the fifth year lessens the Lakers' edge further.

Again, can someone answer me.  Do you guys think Houston is the best option STRICTLY because Houston is realistic?  Are you eliminating options that would have to do work some trades or contracts around to acquire Dwight? 

Because again, I think there are other options that, in my opinion, would be much better for Dwight.....they just couldnt necessarily outright acquire him as it stands right this second.

**To answer the question "what would I (personally) do if I was Dwight"......I would try to find a better team than Houston to try to acquire my services....with the knowledge that they would have to make some moves to make it work.**
Harden is masterful off the pick and roll and Dwight likes it because he can set the screen at the ft line and then potentially get a lob. Harden going left off a Howard screen around the ft line would be damn near unstoppable. James is either getting all the way to the basket off of it, or your big steps up and stops him from curling off it and he lobs it to Howard, or maybe you commit a 3rd player to it and it's a kickout pass to someone in the corner for an open 3. They just really need to address Lin though, see if somebody out there is still hung up on Linsanity and they can get just somebody solid for him, ideally a pg who can shoot ~40% from the 3 on spot ups since JH is so ball dominant; Mo Williams would work for example.

Even though Dwight is great at pick and rolls, he dislikes being involved in them frequently. That's one of the reasons he doesn't like D'Antoni. For whatever reason, he'd rather be in a conventional post offense.

But maybe with Harden he'll be more open-minded.

Even though Dwight is great at pick and rolls, he dislikes being involved in them frequently. That's one of the reasons he doesn't like D'Antoni. For whatever reason, he'd rather be in a conventional post offense.

But maybe with Harden he'll be more open-minded.
This is what I was thinking. Harden is better at pick and roll ppp than anyone else he has ever played with. They could get this all day. He even gets rolls with Asik like this but dude always fumbles the ball. At some point DH12 has to be realistic, dumpoff passes, alleyoops, and tip ins are going to be easier than him trying to post up with his elementary *** post games.

similar play, different players

The Lakers are seriously a train wreck right now. Who knows when Kobe will ever come back, who knows what the hell they're gonna do with Pau and Nash, and then Dwight can go anywhere he wants this summer. The rest of that team is some of the worst "talent" in the league, so it's gonna be tough to rebuild from this for a while. The Rockets with Harden would definitely be a nice spot for him, but if the Mavs really could somehow afford to have him, CP3 and Dirk on the same team then I'd probably go with that option.

Could the Mavs really afford both CP3 and Dwight this summer?

Unless the Mavs dump Marion, Carter and the #13 pick without taking any salary back while Dwight and Chris split whatever cap space has been carved, no.

So basically no. What about Golden State? Could they afford Dwight while keeping Curry, Klay and David Lee?

I would've done the smart thing and never extended with the Magic and then just be traded to the team of my choice (BK) or simply leave in FA and sign with BK.

Now I guess Houston is the best choice unless LAL proves they can get a stellar bench.

I would leave the Lakers and join the Rockets or Nets. I know he'd leave alot of money on the table but he's in his prime, he needs to win while he can still be productive. He wasted a year in D'Antoni's system.

Nets? :lol: they have 0 chance and that team is a mess. JJ is on the decline because of his health and it would be Deron and Dwight. that aint gonna cut it in the weak east.

Rockets would be nice if they had a decent PG, Lin isnt that great but meh.

So basically no. What about Golden State? Could they afford Dwight while keeping Curry, Klay and David Lee?

dat team would be :x

they got to trade one of their young players (klay, steph, harrison). im probably in the minority as w's fan, but i'd do it in a heartbeat.
would lakers actually take bogut and 1 of those guys?

Last edited:
To preserve the Lakers' plans for 2014, a sign-and-trade built around Bogut, Rush and one of Thompson/Barnes would have to be agreed upon.

Id do a sign n trade for barnes/expiring contracts yesturday. But an offer would prolly be thompson cuz barnes has more upside/better all around gm..wouldnt mind klay, though. .perfect 'Antoni player. So assuming kobe is back by opening day (I have zero reservations he will be)...pau/hill/barnes/kb/nash...bench-clark/mwp/blake/glock/FA wing/sacre/expiring contract...if its bogut...bogut starts at center..pau to 4..hill to bench. Or amnesty blake/mwp and sign FA combo guard a la r.foye for cheap..

If I'm Dwight?

1. Immediately call Hakeem and work on my low post game with him. This time it's work out for real. Like I'd spend a good 3 months playing 1 on 1 with Hakeem every single day for 4-5 hours. I would rehab and gain my leg strength back from working out and I will work on my freethrow as well. I won't leave the gym until i make 80% of my freethrow.
2. Realize that this is probably my last real contract. I'll be 29 years old next year soon. I have to make an impact with the team i'm playing for soon or i will never be looked at the same.
3. Be a decisive man and make up my mind. If i really want Phil. I'd make sure Mike Dantoni is fired before the season start. If not. I'd shut up and play for Mike.
4. Ask myself do i really want to be the man of a young team like Houston or be a key contributor in a veteran team like the Lakers?
With the Lakers, I'd get the max money and i have Kobe and Pau Gasol. Older guys but they are still good and if i play my role right this time and do what the team ask of me i will have a good chance of winning a championship with the Lakers next year. I know if i listen to Kobe and play hard along with him we will be a scary team. With the Rockets, I'll be playing next to a group of young upcoming guys but unproven winner. Are they good enough and have the experience to win a title?
Do i want to play with James Harden or Kobe Bryant? Do i want to play next to Asik, Patrick Patterson or Pau Gasol? I know Kobe still have the ability and he showed that he'd do whatever it take to win, even more than me. With James Harden i'm not sure if he can be Kobe Bryant in the playoff.

5. Ok I'll pick the Lakers because those guys have been through the fire with me. They will give me the most money in the most desirable market. I have Kobe the crazy killer dog and Pau Gasol one of the best power forward in the game. And lastly i don't want to be a coward like Lebron James.

6. I made my mind. I want to give it another shot at the championship with this Lakers team. I will make my official announcement on July 1st.

If I'm Dwight?

1. Immediately call Hakeem and work on my low post game with him. This time it's work out for real. Like I'd spend a good 3 months playing 1 on 1 with Hakeem every single day for 4-5 hours. I would rehab and gain my leg strength back from working out and I will work on my freethrow as well. I won't leave the gym until i make 80% of my freethrow.
2. Realize that this is probably my last real contract. I'll be 29 years old next year soon. I have to make an impact with the team i'm playing for soon or i will never be looked at the same.
3. Be a decisive man and make up my mind. If i really want Phil. I'd make sure Mike Dantoni is fired before the season start. If not. I'd shut up and play for Mike.
4. Ask myself do i really want to be the man of a young team like Houston or be a key contributor in a veteran team like the Lakers?
With the Lakers, I'd get the max money and i have Kobe and Pau Gasol. Older guys but they are still good and if i play my role right this time and do what the team ask of me i will have a good chance of winning a championship with the Lakers next year. I know if i listen to Kobe and play hard along with him we will be a scary team. With the Rockets, I'll be playing next to a group of young upcoming guys but unproven winner. Are they good enough and have the experience to win a title?
Do i want to play with James Harden or Kobe Bryant? Do i want to play next to Asik, Patrick Patterson or Pau Gasol? I know Kobe still have the ability and he showed that he'd do whatever it take to win, even more than me. With James Harden i'm not sure if he can be Kobe Bryant in the playoff.

5. Ok I'll pick the Lakers because those guys have been through the fire with me. They will give me the most money in the most desirable market. I have Kobe the crazy killer dog and Pau Gasol one of the best power forward in the game. And lastly i don't want to be a coward like Lebron James.

6. I made my mind. I want to give it another shot at the championship with this Lakers team. I will make my official announcement on July 1st.
What the hell makes you think Hakeem got time to spend 3 months with somebody?

Dwights post game. .for the most part..is what it is at this point in his life and career..as for FTs...he allegedely shoots 80+percent in practice so its clearly between the ears...plus its declined steadily as the yrs have gone by..another bit of evidence that its all mental. I watched him all yr as a laker and sporadically as a magic player...he does not have a go to move..he tries sweeping short hooks across the lane that rarely convert...one dribble right and spin left..often results in a foul/strip/brick/charge..jab step/drive off a face up..often results in foul/strip/brick/charge..im not saying nothing good comes from a d12 iso post play call..im just saying hes not to be depended on soley..dunks..layups..occasional self created baskets off simple moves not resulting in a foul/charge/strip/brick......and lets not forget bricked FTs=empty amd wasted possessions and killed momentum.

Dwight could move into Hakeem's house and sleep at the foot of his bed, he's not going to make any kind of leap at this age.

He's not that guy. He could get healthy again, regain his defensive dominance, and fit back into an offensive system that plays to his strengths... but he's just not going to reinvent himself. It would be a major surprise if he did.

Houston would be a smart choice. Less pressure than in LA and gets to play with Harden.

Or you give the Lakers a real shot. See what Kobe gives you his last few years and trust that LA can build around you in time.

Last edited:
^^^^yup...and I highly doubt hes developing a jump shot. He has to go somewhere and play in a system with the right supporting cast and gey healthy. He has 2 or 3 yrs TOPS at his athleticism so he better refine his post gm QUICK..at the very least get the FTs up to 65%.

Back
Top Bottom