I'm not taking shots, I just don't understand... (Lil B related.)

I heard the I'm God instrumental.
Then I heard the Lil B song.
Then I heard the Soulja Boy version.
And I'm glad these brothers are getting their money.  I'm glad they are changing what rap is and what it can be. I really am.
I don't get the attraction.
I pulled down a bunch of Lil B stuff and to be honest it all sounds like cypher stuff. Like what it sounds like when a bunch of dudes circle up and just rap off the top of their heads.
I don't want every rapper to be "Super Lupe Fiasco lyrical" but I do expect that your track isn't going to sound like you went with literally the first thing that came to your mind.
So strictly from a song composition perspective can someone tell me why you would like a song like "I'm a rich @@!."

I heard the I'm God instrumental.
Then I heard the Lil B song.
Then I heard the Soulja Boy version.
And I'm glad these brothers are getting their money.  I'm glad they are changing what rap is and what it can be. I really am.
I don't get the attraction.
I pulled down a bunch of Lil B stuff and to be honest it all sounds like cypher stuff. Like what it sounds like when a bunch of dudes circle up and just rap off the top of their heads.
I don't want every rapper to be "Super Lupe Fiasco lyrical" but I do expect that your track isn't going to sound like you went with literally the first thing that came to your mind.
So strictly from a song composition perspective can someone tell me why you would like a song like "I'm a rich @@!."

I agree with u one hunid percent

I also listen to the im god songs and thoght it was the worst rappin ive heard

Such an ill beat tho

I think lil b is famous for being horrible

I agree with u one hunid percent

I also listen to the im god songs and thoght it was the worst rappin ive heard

Such an ill beat tho

I think lil b is famous for being horrible

You're still not looking deep enough then. You know what I think it is? I think you'd have to listen to a full body of his work to appreciate him lyrically. Especially his latter work such as Angels Exodus, red flame devil music ed, Evil red flame, Illusions of grandur...etc. There's also an assortment of powerful songs on 6kiss and I'm thraxxx....

You're still not looking deep enough then. You know what I think it is? I think you'd have to listen to a full body of his work to appreciate him lyrically. Especially his latter work such as Angels Exodus, red flame devil music ed, Evil red flame, Illusions of grandur...etc. There's also an assortment of powerful songs on 6kiss and I'm thraxxx....

As much as I don't give a $+#% about his "music",these threads are starting to get on my nerves (no disrespect to you OP).His *!+! is wack to me PERIOD,but if cats see something in it then let em' live.If you (like me) don't then pay him no mind and listen to what moves YOU.

As much as I don't give a $+#% about his "music",these threads are starting to get on my nerves (no disrespect to you OP).His *!+! is wack to me PERIOD,but if cats see something in it then let em' live.If you (like me) don't then pay him no mind and listen to what moves YOU.

sherwin100s

I 'preciate you coming through. And my problem isn't with the "lyrical content". I put Lil B in the same category as a couple other rappers that I don't get the message they're trying to spread. I don't really care what Lil B is saying per se. I recognize that I'll never be #based. That's not really my issue. My problem is that his songs aren't that "musical".

In what I'm sure will a misconstrued comparison it puts me in the mind of KRS-One. Where his agenda to be "The Teacher" overwrote his desire to be entertaining. KRS wanted to pass the knowledge to us so bad that he forgot to make songs.

Lil B's style is so different that it doesn't even sound like music to me.

Evil Red Flame/Reggie Miller is literally the only Lil B track that sounds like an actual song to me.

Illusions of Grandeur is clearly a deep story, but setting it to music without using any of the parameters or the rules for music make it difficult to grasp what he is trying to do.

sherwin100s

I 'preciate you coming through. And my problem isn't with the "lyrical content". I put Lil B in the same category as a couple other rappers that I don't get the message they're trying to spread. I don't really care what Lil B is saying per se. I recognize that I'll never be #based. That's not really my issue. My problem is that his songs aren't that "musical".

In what I'm sure will a misconstrued comparison it puts me in the mind of KRS-One. Where his agenda to be "The Teacher" overwrote his desire to be entertaining. KRS wanted to pass the knowledge to us so bad that he forgot to make songs.

Lil B's style is so different that it doesn't even sound like music to me.

Evil Red Flame/Reggie Miller is literally the only Lil B track that sounds like an actual song to me.

Illusions of Grandeur is clearly a deep story, but setting it to music without using any of the parameters or the rules for music make it difficult to grasp what he is trying to do.

Originally Posted by Im Not You

Seriously...how many times is this thread going to get made?

Until he stops rappin or diplomatic immunity 3 drops and captivates millions makin people forget about lil b

Originally Posted by Im Not You

Until he stops rappin or diplomatic immunity 3 drops and captivates millions makin people forget about lil b

None taken. And in the same vein, no disrespect to either of you but this thread isn't for you.

I don't "like" Lil B's music either, but I do love music. I'm no sheep.

I long time ago, my homeboy put up with a lot of racial hatred because he was a young black man who rocked a wallet chain, JNCO jeans and listened to alternative music. He put me on to Alice in Chains, Lenny Kravitz, Live and Soundgarden. Soundgarden was lead by a guy named Chris Cornell who much much later put out an album titled Scream produced exclusively by Timbaland. I listen to a lot of music, but I've only bought three non "urban" albums and that was one of them. I love that album.

It's why I titled this thread the way I did, because I'm not here to discuss why Lil B is so good/bad/whatever. I'm just interested in the musicality of the movement.

None taken. And in the same vein, no disrespect to either of you but this thread isn't for you.

I don't "like" Lil B's music either, but I do love music. I'm no sheep.

I long time ago, my homeboy put up with a lot of racial hatred because he was a young black man who rocked a wallet chain, JNCO jeans and listened to alternative music. He put me on to Alice in Chains, Lenny Kravitz, Live and Soundgarden. Soundgarden was lead by a guy named Chris Cornell who much much later put out an album titled Scream produced exclusively by Timbaland. I listen to a lot of music, but I've only bought three non "urban" albums and that was one of them. I love that album.

It's why I titled this thread the way I did, because I'm not here to discuss why Lil B is so good/bad/whatever. I'm just interested in the musicality of the movement.

its young _s bumpin that $+#%... they listen solely for entertainment... look at lil b as l a weird al type artist

its young _s bumpin that $+#%... they listen solely for entertainment... look at lil b as l a weird al type artist

What is this "it" that there is to get?

We're talking about music artists. You either like it or you don't. How is "understanding" how or why someone likes something going to influence how you feel about it?

It's all subjective.

What is this "it" that there is to get?

We're talking about music artists. You either like it or you don't. How is "understanding" how or why someone likes something going to influence how you feel about it?

It's all subjective.

Originally Posted by Ruxxx

pretty much

Back
Top Bottom