Information Technology (IT)

Hell no. Is your long term goal to work around the DoD, DoE, DoS, CIA, FBI, etc?

I have a TS/SCI. It’s nice feather. But I’m not signing up for anything whereby I can’t jump ship unless the bennies and pay are nice.

Has anyone here done a contract-to-hire position? Was the experience better than a direct hire role?

I'm doing a straight contractor positon for my next gig. I would get a TS/SCI clearance but I don't have any Bennys. I work part time at the the apple store so I would lean on them for bennys for a year atleast.

Has anyone here done a contract-to-hire position? Was the experience better than a direct hire role?

Depending on the circumstances, I know that when doing contracts you’ll be paid more (paid per hour) so when you transition into full time you could see a slight pay decrease. It all depends on your offer and the pay you agree to.

My last contracting gig I was getting paid a little more than I am right now, but this gig I have now still pays really well, but since it’s long term the budget is different. That often happens in contract to hire as well

Depending on the circumstances, I know that when doing contracts you’ll be paid more (paid per hour) so when you transition into full time you could see a slight pay decrease. It all depends on your offer and the pay you agree to.

My last contracting gig I was getting paid a little more than I am right now, but this gig I have now still pays really well, but since it’s long term the budget is different. That often happens in contract to hire as well
Yeah I've been speaking with some IT staffing firms about potential 6-month c2h roles. Some had typical health benefit offerings, but didn't provide PTO. Would also be W2-hourly, and capped at the projects weekly allocation (40 hours). Would need to consider what the best hourly rate to include PTO difference from regular salaried role.

how demanding are the hours for a NOC junior engineer?

wanna apply to a position that reads "Willing to work different shifts between the hours of 7am and 10pm with future coverage increasing to 24/7."

idk if i can do that 24/7 **** though or even 7am to 10pm (15 hr shift) if thats what they mean..

how demanding are the hours for a NOC junior engineer?

wanna apply to a position that reads "Willing to work different shifts between the hours of 7am and 10pm with future coverage increasing to 24/7."

idk if i can do that 24/7 **** though or even 7am to 10pm (15 hr shift) if thats what they mean..
24/7 just means on-call.
Yeah and it would be your department not you specifically. I doubt they'ed make you literally work a full 24 hour shift, time will probably be split in 8 hour intervals (in your case maybe 15) between the staff. The place your applying for must have business around the world

Just got a job offer at at help desk 12/hr. Negotiating for higher pay. Going to take it regardless, Im just kinda sad its so low paying lol. It is what it is but atleast it's a start.

Yeah and it would be your department not you specifically. I doubt they'ed make you literally work a full 24 hour shift, time will probably be split in 8 hour intervals (in your case maybe 15) between the staff. The place your applying for must have business around the world

its for a university campus. im hesitant to apply because I dont have a ccna but have a good amount of years at a help desk over at the university and for the feds. I really wanna get TF out of the call center man.

heres the description. yall think I should shoot my shot even though i dont have ccna?

One to three years of demonstrated experience in enterprise data networks and/or IT help desk, and utilization of a network management system.

KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES

CCNA

Strong communication and interpersonal skills as well as some level of project management.

Ability and willingness to work different shifts between the hours of 7am and 10pm with future coverage increasing to 24×7. On-call network support may be required. Additional time may be required as needed or directed by management.

Preferences:

Ability to demonstrate a strong knowledge of and support for a predominately Cisco environment, a working knowledge of network testing equipment, and familiarity with campus wiring, including fiber optics.

Knowledge of the various transports such as Gigabit Ethernet, TLS, and DWDM services.

Last edited:
Just got a job offer at at help desk 12/hr. Negotiating for higher pay. Going to take it regardless, Im just kinda sad its so low paying lol. It is what it is but atleast it's a start.

Where do you live. I'm not trying to be mean but damn that is hella low pay and a lot of big cities like Seattle have higher minimum wage jobs that pay more than that.

Heck my first IT job back in 2000 I was making $20 a hour at a Tier 1 call center help desk job.

if this is your first gig. Learn as much as you can and apply for another job within 6months. negotiating for more money might not work if you dont have the experience to back it

Forgot to post it here but I passed my AWS CSAA exam. Test was harder than I thought it would be. Passed whizlabs exams with about an average of 90% and thought it would be smooth sailing. Sat down for the exam and the first five questions had me rethinking my life choices. I skipped those and was good for the rest of the exam so much that I knew I passed before I even clicked submit.

Gonna go for the Developers Associate next but in the mean time I'm gonna learn Docker and Kubernetes so I can stack my resume a little for the new year.

Forgot to post it here but I passed my AWS CSAA exam. Test was harder than I thought it would be. Passed whizlabs exams with about an average of 90% and thought it would be smooth sailing. Sat down for the exam and the first five questions had me rethinking my life choices. I skipped those and was good for the rest of the exam so much that I knew I passed before I even clicked submit.

Gonna go for the Developers Associate next but in the mean time I'm gonna learn Docker and Kubernetes so I can stack my resume a little for the new year.
What level is csaa? Beginner?

Congrats. How long did you study for?

What level is csaa? Beginner?

I'd say it's more along the lines of intermediate since the only one before that is Cloud Practitioner. A beginner can definitely pass the exam if they dedicate at least 3 hours a day for a couple months to actually learn the concepts.

Congrats. How long did you study for?

I started in September but took a break mid October due to picking up some extra responsibilities at work. I'd say overall I put in about two months worth of studying. In all honesty that was probably too long but better to be safe than sorry.

My last two gigs yea, the first one converted to FTE the second one i got stringed along and i ended up just leaving looking for a FTE.

Like everyone saying here its good money if you dont care about benefits. But not knowing whats gonna happen what after that x months is stressful.

Back
Top Bottom