Information Technology (IT)

I dunno if I would say Network+ is trash. It might be a little basic after CCNA. The vendor neutral part is a plus versus learning the Cisco way, Cisco technologies, Cisco Trivia Pursuit, etc.

Having said that, CCNA is more difficult than Network+. Higher passing score, simulations and comprehensive understanding of networking from Layer 1-3.

I dunno if I would say Network+ is trash. It might be a little basic after CCNA. The vendor neutral part is a plus versus learning the Cisco way, Cisco technologies, Cisco Trivia Pursuit, etc.

Having said that, CCNA is more difficult than Network+. Higher passing score, simulations and comprehensive understanding of networking from Layer 1-3.
I want to say if you already have CCNA, then Network+ is a step down. Unless you are just looking to up the number of certs in your signature block then skip the CCNA. Move on the CCNA track CCNE, and I believe even a CCND. Eventually go the CCIE route, once those are done switch to network security. After that go to wireless network security if you aren't already certified, then mobile security.

Congrats. Best wishes on the future. Keep grinding.

I just sat through a class two weeks ago. Need to submit my application. I'll probably take the exam in the spring (after I clear up my cert backlog).
lol why not take it ASAP while the info is fresh on your mind.

For the CCNA I would recommend Boson. It's very comprehensive, teaches you everything hands on. The entire course is around $260 for routing & switching but they're always having big sales. I would check the site now since its the holidays.

http://www.boson.com/certification/ccna

25% sale right now.

Last edited:
My boy is in Raleigh NC and does IT consulting, I had no idea that NC was the "silicon valley" of the east. When he told me his salary I was like whaoahaoahao

The research triangle. A few years ago Raleigh was one of the most expensive cities to live in the U.S.

I want to say if you already have CCNA, then Network+ is a step down. Unless you are just looking to up the number of certs in your signature block then skip the CCNA. Move on the CCNA track CCNE, and I believe even a CCND. Eventually go the CCIE route, once those are done switch to network security. After that go to wireless network security if you aren't already certified, then mobile security.

I agree. If I had a certification based program, I would definitely sequence Net+ before CCNA. Net+ teaches the fundamentals. CCNA is an application of it.

I’m not sure what a CCNE or CCND are.

lol why not take it ASAP while the info is fresh on your mind.

Unfortunately, I got more immediate certification goals I need to meet. I just went to the class to reset the PMP test clock.

I wouldn't say the Silicon Valley of the east that belongs to the metro DC area.

I’d have to say NC is. With the federal government, these firms are strategically there but it seems like their presence is greater in North Carolina. But not minimizing M$ in Reston, Amazon building a HQ, etc.

There is probably more innovation happening outside of the DC area.

The USG is arguably the largest "customer" for almost any industry service provider so most companies will try to keep a sizable presence somewhere in the DC area.

I agree. If I had a certification based program, I would definitely sequence Net+ before CCNA. Net+ teaches the fundamentals. CCNA is an application of it.

My fault it is CCNP I was thinking of.
https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/community/certifications
CCNA.png

Unfortunately, I got more immediate certification goals I need to meet. I just went to the class to reset the PMP test clock.

I’d have to say NC is. With the federal government, these firms are strategically there but it seems like their presence is greater in North Carolina. But not minimizing M$ in Reston, Amazon building a HQ, etc.

Makes little sense to take net+ when you can take ccna in 2 parts. Just study for ccent first.

It depends. I don’t disagree that someone couldnt complete the two CCENT exams and develop a solid networking background (especially now).

As an intro to Networking, CCNA maybe a bit much for a new person.

But then again, a new person might pursue CCIE out the gate.

Just think from a bite size perspective, A+>Net+>Sec+ then whatever your pursuit in IT is e.g. networking, cyber security, system administration, cloud, etc.

For those of you asking for free online courses for Net+ and CCNA Professor Messer on Youtube is a good resource to start at. And if you don't wanna pay for anything try to torrent the CBT Nuggets courses.

Back
Top Bottom