Information Technology (IT)

For those of you asking for free online courses for Net+ and CCNA Professor Messer on Youtube is a good resource to start at. And if you don't wanna pay for anything try to torrent the CBT Nuggets courses.
Instead of stealing the CBT videos, check your local library’s web portal. Mine has a link to Lynda.com that allows you to access their whole library for free. There may be more tech resources depending on your local library’s choices.

six weeks? id forget everything...everyone says you do an intensive four or five-day boot camp and take the test immediately after

IMO. I feel like if you can develop an understanding of key inputs/outputs, the process groups, knowledge areas and the formulas, not a difficult exam. It has like a below 70% passing score. I have a friend who has the cert. He said the secret is memorizing the formulas.

For me if it's coming straight outta my pocket I'm going straight ccna. If this is really what you want to do then grit your teeth and dig in. At the end of the day they're both still considered entry level.

Entry level is a little misleading. A CCNA is pretty competent. Tier 2 technician.

I’d classify a CCNP as a Tier 3. With a CCIE as subject matter expert, lead engineer on staff.

But id agree if you’re putting your own money toward it, the CCNA is going to have the higher ROI and reputation.

Recently bought the i college learning course for the Comptia certs, which cert would you go for first? Security+? I currently test mobile applications and looking to change it up. Even considering getting my masters in cyber security but the lack of experience is holding me back! Any suggestions, thanks again everyone!!!

For me if it's coming straight outta my pocket I'm going straight ccna. If this is really what you want to do then grit your teeth and dig in. At the end of the day they're both still considered entry level.

CCNA is definitely not entry level. Net+ and CCENT, then maybe you have a point. I've taken both of those and really don't consider those entry level. I take my CCNA exam next Wednesday.

Anyone finish that monster called OSCP yet? Goofed off on my first 60 days of lab time but I'm probably going to buy more time tomorrow. Been about 4 months since I've been in the labs. In the meantime, I've been doing doing vulnhub machines and knocking out webapp stuff on Pentesterlabs. Improved my Linux skills and got a better understanding of the whole process so I should do better this time.

As far as certs go, I have: Sec+, Net+, CCNA, CEH. RHCSA is pending (failed the first exam because I couldn't get the repo working :smh:). I'm a Network Security Engineer right now at an MSSP. One of 3 guys dedicated to our largest customer. Was thrown into the role not knowing anything lol. Had to learn Checkpoint, Palo Alto, F5, Radware, and Fortinet on the fly.

One of the red team guys at work wants me to pass OSCP so I can work with him but our company is notorious for underpaying people. Was it green grass and rainbows once you passed OSCP? I'm hoping to get at least $90k after adding it to the resume. Think this is possible?

I get ya'lls point, but I have a net+ and it wasn't much to me, and bout to start studying for the CCNA where the 1st part of two literally has the word "entry" in it. It's all about perspective though I guess, maybe that's not the right term for them.

Anyone finish that monster called OSCP yet? Goofed off on my first 60 days of lab time but I'm probably going to buy more time tomorrow. Been about 4 months since I've been in the labs. In the meantime, I've been doing doing vulnhub machines and knocking out webapp stuff on Pentesterlabs. Improved my Linux skills and got a better understanding of the whole process so I should do better this time.

As far as certs go, I have: Sec+, Net+, CCNA, CEH. RHCSA is pending (failed the first exam because I couldn't get the repo working :smh:). I'm a Network Security Engineer right now at an MSSP. One of 3 guys dedicated to our largest customer. Was thrown into the role not knowing anything lol. Had to learn Checkpoint, Palo Alto, F5, Radware, and Fortinet on the fly.

One of the red team guys at work wants me to pass OSCP so I can work with him but our company is notorious for underpaying people. Was it green grass and rainbows once you passed OSCP? I'm hoping to get at least $90k after adding it to the resume. Think this is possible?
Actually trying to jump over to a Network security role, any suggestions for someone trying to get into one?

It is perspective. I have Net+, CCNA and CCNP. I used to teach CCNA. And on occasion Net+. I’m a big proponent of building blocks and think the CompTIA A+, Net+ and Sec+ are all great entry foundational certs. They are not the end all be all. But they definitely help when going the Linux, VMware, Cybersecurity, Network or sysadmin route.

CCNAs are legit. They apply all of the stuff you learn in Net+ from layer 1-4.

For day to day stuff, they can get the job done with on the job training, especially now with topics like BGP, basic network prommability, etc.

And OSCP is legit. Obviously there’s OSCE and SAN GSCE but OSCP is the goLed standard.

Take the red team job for the experience...then bounce with the cert and experience. Long term investments, my man.

not IT, but clearance related-hypothetical...would you guys consider a conditional offer that is binding if accepted that involves a TS clearance?

on top of the time it would take to get the clearance, you would owe that agency X number of years if you accepted...

Just now seeing this but hell no. Unless they can guarantee it will take a max of 12 months. Took me 24 months to get my TS...but if you are in the DMV and this is your only opp to get a TS I say yes. Opens up much more doors and higher salaries in the area.

that ship sailed...the pay cut would have been too much they were targeting the undergrads lol

Guess it’s time to focus on the PMP, although my boss seems to want me go for the Certified Business Analysis Professional (CBAP) too

Where do you live. I'm not trying to be mean but damn that is hella low pay and a lot of big cities like Seattle have higher minimum wage jobs that pay more than that.

Heck my first IT job back in 2000 I was making $20 a hour at a Tier 1 call center help desk job.

if this is your first gig. Learn as much as you can and apply for another job within 6months. negotiating for more money might not work if you dont have the experience to back it

I actually got a different job at an Audio Visual company in the IT department. 20/hr to be a jr IT systems admin. I know the IT director and its a really small company. He told me to just learn programming and get a few certs now the boss is pushing me to become an av programmer, which wouldnt really help my career in the future, besides at this company. smh

I actually got a different job at an Audio Visual company in the IT department. 20/hr to be a jr IT systems admin. I know the IT director and its a really small company. He told me to just learn programming and get a few certs now the boss is pushing me to become an av programmer, which wouldnt really help my career in the future, besides at this company. smh
Is this your first IT job? What state do you live in?

I just want to give a shout-out to this thread ...

My position is unique in that I am relatively well off and further down my career path compared to many people in this thread ...

I am currently pursuing TBM at my company and received the initial recommendation from a simple response to a post I made in this thread ...

Now, I have just secured funding for my team of 100+ employees to formally pursue certifications, starting with a download of the Core CompTIA Study Guides to begin brown bag trainings ...

I am even thinking of pursuing these certifications myself, despite not explicitly needing them right now ... Certainly the more strategic Certs have my interest ...

Anyway, thank you guys!!!!!

Took my ICDN2(200-105) Monday afternoon and passed. CCNA certification is in the books now. Trying to get the network team at my current gig to let me in on some stuff, but if that doesn't improve I'll look to move on.

Back
Top Bottom