Information Technology (IT)

Anyone here a developer? I’m at WGU for CS and so far the classes have been extremely easy. I started not too long ago and I’ve finished 7 classes. I’m on my first actual programming class now with C++. The previous classes in security, networking, and others were honestly easier than some of my high school classes. I get a feeling that I won’t have the proper education to get a high paying job once I’m done with this degree. I look on reddit and the new grad cs salaries are wild. Like they’re ranging from 100k-350k+. What can I do that will get me on that level in terms of skills and projects? I don’t know that much about coding yet but I’d rather start learning from other sources now then to realize it later. Maybe take a part time bootcamp, or learn from coursera? I’m open to anything that will put me at a high level

I’m a developer. What programming classes do you have left in your curriculum? Also, do you have an idea of what type of programming you want to get into? Apps? Games? Bioinformatics? Web development?

degenerate423 degenerate423 I've got 2 project based Java courses, 2 data structures and algorithm courses, computer architecture, Operating systems for programmers, and Intro to AI.

Ive finished a class on html and css, and I've taken 2 classes on SQL, which isnt really programming.

I honestly have no clue. I figured I'd be doing either front end/ back end/ full stack web development because I thought that was the default for most cs grads. I have to look more into it, so I appreciate you asking me that.

degenerate423 degenerate423 I've got 2 project based Java courses, 2 data structures and algorithm courses, computer architecture, Operating systems for programmers, and Intro to AI.

Ive finished a class on html and css, and I've taken 2 classes on SQL, which isnt really programming.

I honestly have no clue. I figured I'd be doing either front end/ back end/ full stack web development because I thought that was the default for most cs grads. I have to look more into it, so I appreciate you asking me that.

That was pretty much my whole curriculum in undergrad (minus AI) :lol:. I think you’ll be good once you finish those Java and Data Structures classes. Any opportunities for an internship through your school?

That was pretty much my whole curriculum in undergrad (minus AI) :lol:. I think you’ll be good once you finish those Java and Data Structures classes. Any opportunities for an internship through your school?
Gotcha thanks. The career center for WGU isnt good, but they've got listings that I've applied to

Yes it is. I look at the emails that these recruiters send and shake my head when I see the pay.
I’m convinced non technical people draft up the requirements/responsibilities or they just do it to weed people out of applying because I truly don’t get it.

I’m convinced non technical people draft up the requirements/responsibilities or they just do it to weed people out of applying because I truly don’t get it.

That's exactly what they do. More places are about the cultural fit moreso than the actual experience, if you're in or been in IT for a while then you can learn on the fly and adjust accordingly. Recently had a interview for a company that went for almost an hour and a half. Guy tells me "I'm pretty sure you're going to meet with my boss" and "what is availability like". Only to hear from the recruiter and they told him that I didn't have experience in something that they didn't even ask me about and if they had they would've known I have experience in it.

That's exactly what they do. More places are about the cultural fit moreso than the actual experience, if you're in or been in IT for a while then you can learn on the fly and adjust accordingly. Recently had a interview for a company that went for almost an hour and a half. Guy tells me "I'm pretty sure you're going to meet with my boss" and "what is availability like". Only to hear from the recruiter and they told him that I didn't have experience in something that they didn't even ask me about and if they had they would've known I have experience in it.
It’s crazy because I hear helpdesk has such a high turnaround rate as well.

I’m at the stage where I need to start applying but questioning on whether I should get my Network+ and Security+ before even bothering.

It’s crazy because I hear helpdesk has such a high turnaround rate as well.

I’m at the stage where I need to start applying but questioning on whether I should get my Network+ and Security+ before even bothering.

Yeah it does, but it's a stepping stone that leads to other great opportunities. That's how I started.

It's crazy how much experience these help desk positions be wanting
Ignore that and just apply. Def get the Net+ and Sec+ to set yourself apart though, but keep applying. Unless you're applying for like L3 roles with no experience, they really don't expect much and don't get much for an entry level role. Anyone with the real experience they're looking for isn't applying to that unless options are low. For L1 it's more a personality and problem solving check than anything.

Anyone tried Udemy courses online? Prices are high but they always have a sale with like 70% off. I just want to know hows the experience with the online learning is like.

Udemy was solid for me. I bought the Net + Mike Myers course and it provided a good overview. I also bought the Jason Dion practice tests which were very similar to the actual exam. Just have to be self motivated the courses are long but informative.

Easy Money Easy Money Thank you, all great information! After I get my Net+, hopefully by January, I am going to try and build my own lab kit and go for my CCNA.

Anyone here skip help desk without a degree? Im thinking about getting into cyber security. Ive got my A+ and randomly the AWS cloud practitioner cert.

My friend told me to get my Security+ and then the CISSP but I dont think she knows that you need 5 years of experience for the CISSP. I read online that the OSCP is a good certification. Im just pretty confused as to how to actually get a job in cyber security without a degree. I have a year of help desk experience but that was a long time ago.

Anyone here skip help desk without a degree? Im thinking about getting into cyber security. Ive got my A+ and randomly the AWS cloud practitioner cert.

My friend told me to get my Security+ and then the CISSP but I dont think she knows that you need 5 years of experience for the CISSP. I read online that the OSCP is a good certification. Im just pretty confused as to how to actually get a job in cyber security without a degree. I have a year of help desk experience but that was a long time ago.
OSCP is pretty intense but you can do it, i would say first get security+ that will get you an entry level job for show. might not pay the greatest but forsure get u experience

then decide what certs u want next whether thats offensive stuff, forensics etc list goes on.

OSCP is pretty intense but you can do it, i would say first get security+ that will get you an entry level job for show. might not pay the greatest but forsure get u experience

then decide what certs u want next whether thats offensive stuff, forensics etc list goes on.
Gotchu, appreciate it. You have the OSCP?

Would that route be better than getting the CEH, CySa, CCSP... there are so many certifications its difficult to know which ones to get.

Gotchu, appreciate it. You have the OSCP?

Would that route be better than getting the CEH, CySa, CCSP... there are so many certifications its difficult to know which ones to get.
I have the CEH, CySa+ and CISSP.

CISSP has a high ROI.

OSCP is legit. High reputation. And someone who passes it is a credible cybersecurity practitioner. Doesn’t have the same ROI as CISSP. But those tests and certifications are different. One is more aligned to CISO type work roles. While the other is a credible pen tester.

I know someone who literally went from 0 to sec+, CISSP, GCIH, Pen Test+ then OSCP in about two years of hard studying.

spiderjericho spiderjericho nice, thank you for that.
Did you get your CISSP with the required experience or did you take it before that? Finishing before, in my case, would make me an Associate of (ISC)^2 instead of becoming a CISSP until I get my 5 years of experience.

Last edited:
as someone who paid for the ceh please dont take it, its a wack cert.

first take the sec+ then after that you can decide which niche of security u wanna get into and go from there.
Wack in the sense that it does nothing for job growth, or wack questioning. I'm looking ahead for an "easy" exam to take next year to check off my performance review section. I had a former coworker study for like a month and took him 20 minutes.

Sigh unrelated but man I can't wait until next Friday done for the year. Site manager was out yesterday and came to me asking why something is the way it is. I told him before he left another coworker made the change and is testing, WTH are you asking me and not the coworker. I swear I feel like I'm in Office Space at this site. Guy literally asked me a question, answered it over IM. Not even 2 minutes later asks me to come to his office to ask me the EXACT same question. :smh: You responded to the IM after I answered the question so you obviously saw the answer.

Alright vent over.

Wack in the sense that it does nothing for job growth, or wack questioning. I'm looking ahead for an "easy" exam to take next year to check off my performance review section. I had a former coworker study for like a month and took him 20 minutes.

Sigh unrelated but man I can't wait until next Friday done for the year. Site manager was out yesterday and came to me asking why something is the way it is. I told him before he left another coworker made the change and is testing, WTH are you asking me and not the coworker. I swear I feel like I'm in Office Space at this site. Guy literally asked me a question, answered it over IM. Not even 2 minutes later asks me to come to his office to ask me the EXACT same question. :smh: You responded to the IM after I answered the question so you obviously saw the answer.

Alright vent over.
well the exam has wack questioning and from most security professionals ive talked to they've told me now to steer clear and focus on comptia certs instead
i already paid so im stuck taking it

Back
Top Bottom