Information Technology (IT)

New job got me focusing on GPOs and like STIG implementation. Easy money, but boring. Obviously it ceilings out lower pay wise, but I prefer high level Help Desk and getting to deal with users, software/hardware, Dameware, troubleshoot and solve problems. All this pushing and dealing with systems and vdis **** is for the birds.

All my coworkers been telling me to learn Linux or Python. But I'm not up to it I guess.

well the exam has wack questioning and from most security professionals ive talked to they've told me now to steer clear and focus on comptia certs instead
i already paid so im stuck taking it
Ok understandable, I already passed my CASP back in August. Unfortunately my Sec+ had already expired so it didn't renew that, I refuse to take and pass Sec+ when I already did in the past. Didn't read the fine print CASP will renew Sec+ if it is still current.

New job got me focusing on GPOs and like STIG implementation. Easy money, but boring. Obviously it ceilings out lower pay wise, but I prefer high level Help Desk and getting to deal with users, software/hardware, Dameware, troubleshoot and solve problems. All this pushing and dealing with systems and vdis **** is for the birds.

All my coworkers been telling me to learn Linux or Python. But I'm not up to it I guess.
Sigh same boat working on STIGS because of a POAM we have coming up, not liking this at all.

any devops ppl in here? going on 5years now, im basically an architect and everything under and in between...2021 focusing on cisco devnet, kubernetes & aws certs (been using it 5yrs never got a cert lol)...job market is f'ing booming, im dubbing recruiters 24/7, makerDAO and Blackrock were trying to hire me as a devops eng for their blockchain stuff, we use all that at my shop tho, im in every lane of DARQ technology currently....whenever i switch (if I do) i clear 200bands ez...dont be tryna skip stuff, helpdesk is for the beginners

also, don't be like mad of these plebs I see tryna hop into security but they don't know networking, u wont work anywhere prosperous and u wont make money lol...how can u be a security engineer but u dont know how the networking of what you are supposed to be securing works? CCNA is a minimum, had some dude in here years ago tell me avoid ccna and all this, i ignored him, i make racks...just start at the bottom and build ur way up, esp if you were not a computer science major

Alot of great info in here guys.
About a year ago I decided to take the leap into cyber security. I'm currently a trainer, before that, graphic designer for 10years (self taught). I got layed off and turned my part time trainer gig full time. Even though I love training, there's only so far you can go and so much you can make without putting in a ish load of hours.

So after someone informed me about CS, did a little research and decided to try for security + first. I started Messers vids but found myself slacking after about 3 months in. Alot of what he was talking about I found I needed to research a little deeper to fully understand. I just didn't want to memorize, I, wanted to LEARN. Fast forward to August and I decided to take credit classes at my local community college. It was the best decision I made. I'm doing it part time and it's all virtual. The semester is almost over and I've learned way more than if I tried to find the info myself. It keeps me accountable with due dates ect so I don't slack like I was self studying. I'm finishing up Linux 101 and DCOM 101. I love Linux and plan on getting my Linux +. My linux professor has been in the game for ages, worked for the NSA etc and is always willing to help and guide. DCOM101 has given me more insight on what Messer was speaking about during his vids.

As of right now, I'm not sure which direction I'll go specifically, but I'm loving everything so far.
I plan on getting Security+, Linux+ and possibly CCNA even though I'm not liking networking right now 😅.

I saw someone post about getting equipment for a networking lab. Looking at Ciscos packet tracer software. You can create virtual labs exactly like you would physically , down to each individual piece of equipment, cabling etc. There's also a coarse where you learn the ins and outs all free.
make-your-cisco-packet-tracer-topologies.jpg

I'm really, looking forward to this journey and making it a career. I have a few clients that are deep into CS and one that's a networking admin for the gov't. I'll definitely be using them for resources and networking.

So, I wanted to bring this question in here to help guide my decision.

I've mentioned before in this thread that I have a sec+, and also mentioned that I've been learning python, not to deep but I have a pretty good understanding on how it functions and how to use the syntax better. Anyways, I've been given an opportunity to get professional training on a list of IT select fields. I was wondering if any of you guys can help shed light on how you're liking your positions and what do you think is the best area to get into when it comes to IT(In your own opinion). The areas that keep popping in my head are cybersec, data analytics, ethical hacking to name a few. I know the field is broad, and it depends on what I'm actually good at, but I'm trying to see at this point in time what areas would you train for and build up on if you had a chance to do it over?

With networking it seems like you're always chasing certs, and on the coding side it's learning new languages. What do you guys think?

So, I wanted to bring this question in here to help guide my decision.

I've mentioned before in this thread that I have a sec+, and also mentioned that I've been learning python, not to deep but I have a pretty good understanding on how it functions and how to use the syntax better. Anyways, I've been given an opportunity to get professional training on a list of IT select fields. I was wondering if any of you guys can help shed light on how you're liking your positions and what do you think is the best area to get into when it comes to IT(In your own opinion). The areas that keep popping in my head are cybersec, data analytics, ethical hacking to name a few. I know the field is broad, and it depends on what I'm actually good at, but I'm trying to see at this point in time what areas would you train for and build up on if you had a chance to do it over?

With networking it seems like you're always chasing certs, and on the coding side it's learning new languages. What do you guys think?
IT in general you are always going to be chasing certs because companies want to keep that income coming in. "Hey government we just rolled out this new cert make your employees get certified on it." Sure I don't have to get a cert for my job yeah make all new employees get that cert.

I wonder how many of these decision-makers have certs in their field that they have to maintain?

IT in general you are always going to be chasing certs because companies want to keep that income coming in. "Hey government we just rolled out this new cert make your employees get certified on it." Sure I don't have to get a cert for my job yeah make all new employees get that cert.

I wonder how many of these decision-makers have certs in their field that they have to maintain?
Man my VP as far as i know has no security certs, but my manager had a CISSP

Most Project Managers, Site Leads, or whatever I have had have little sometimes even no technical experience as to the function of the contract they are over but merely exist as a liason to the Government (or whatever client) to be responsible for the completion of the required deliverables on behalf of the Company and approve tinesheets. Like it's more a leadership role.

Most Project Managers, Site Leads, or whatever I have had have little sometimes even no technical experience as to the function of the contract they are over but merely exist as a liason to the Government (or whatever client) to be responsible for the completion of the required deliverables on behalf of the Company and approve tinesheets. Like it's more a leadership role.

This describes me lol. Are there any certifications or courses you guys would recommend for the cloud? I’m just looking for something general, but somewhat respected. I’ve been getting interest from recruiters and every project has to deal with the cloud.

I have a few certs and while it looks great on the resume, these companies still want the experience. Unless you can convenience someone to give you a shot with the knowledge that you have. I'm 6 credits away from completing my Bachelors currently. Once I get it I'm interested in seeing if that garners more attention.

I get tons of these but thought I'd post it here because it might be a good fit for someone. $50hr is like 104k not counting built up leave. You can use this link here, or I have the direct email ad contact details. Remote until Covid, automation engineer sounds easy as ****. When I was automation, it was usually like Tier 2 Help Desk + we dealth with AV equipment like projectors, but given this is remote to start IDK what they'll have you doing. But $50 hr for Automation Engineer that's remote is a great opportunity https://careerportal.ceipal.com/job...8dfde066f6/f76adfc16cac13526a0d9d97e1401257/0

Or if anyone would come to OKC (onsite) for ~95k working backups at night (7pm to 3am, the only reason I didn't take it) hit me up and I'll link you to the recruiter for this opp. You'd love your life here in that tax bracket btw

Last edited:
Been flirting with the idea of making a full on push to redirect my career towards IT the last year or so. Have a Bachelors and Masters in Sport Management and a decent gig now in sports that's tech adjacent, but the ceiling just isn't there. Starting from the ground up in terms of education, while I keep my day job. Curious to see where the path leads me.

This describes me lol. Are there any certifications or courses you guys would recommend for the cloud? I’m just looking for something general, but somewhat respected. I’ve been getting interest from recruiters and every project has to deal with the cloud.

It depends on what cloud platform , right now Amazon has the largest grip on the market share , so perhaps the AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner exam would be a good base/starting point, followed by CSA (certified solutions architect) if you wanted to get a bit more hands on.

Microsoft Azure and Google are up and coming still but you can’t wrong w any.

Been flirting with the idea of making a full on push to redirect my career towards IT the last year or so. Have a Bachelors and Masters in Sport Management and a decent gig now in sports that's tech adjacent, but the ceiling just isn't there. Starting from the ground up in terms of education, while I keep my day job. Curious to see where the path leads me.
Why you leaving

ahhhhh, i cant believe im just finding this thread. my forum search is complete lol. I can talk shoes and tech all in one place. been doing IT SEC for about 11 years and been buying shoes for about 23 years lol

def some solid advice in here. Id say the IT and/or Cyber security space is soooo broad where in my years ive met very few who are experts in multiple fields. Those that are, are anomalies imo lol. love to have them around if there is one. I was a CS major so i did 4 years of nothing but programming and I HATED IT, but i enjoyed the one security class i took as an elective. Programming sucked for me bcuz i'd have hours of debugging code just to see i was off by a f***'n semi colon lol.

First job ever was a security engineer, I was soooo behind. I thought i was going to get fired lol bcuz it was little to no programming and was heavy on the encryption and securing networks, data, etc. Took the Sec+ just to get the basics and took off from there, CEH, CISSP, GSEC, etc. Who ever said above that understanding networking is a must was 10000% right. One thing i see often is you get folks who just "switch careers" or got a masters in CS or IA and have some certs but no real experience. More power to them but you kind of need to have been in the fight to know how to take a punch lol (virtually) They tend to learn trial by fire bcuz things in this space arent always as they are taught traditionally. Im glad folks are migrating to the field, as i def think there is more work than it is folks to do it. THIS IS JUST MY 2 CENTs from my experiences.

Last edited:
Any advice from the CyberSec people on here for someone looking to get into the field with no prior experience?
Taken note of the posts that say to learn networking, Linux and python.

what field of CyberSec do you guys work in and which one would you say is a promising one to look into.
Considering taking a Bootcamp curriculum in early 2021 that lasts for 6 months and will have you ready to take the CompTiaa Sec+ exam and be an entry level cyber Security analyst but it’s very expensive and I’d like to figure out exactly what I want to focus on before committing all this money to it.

Back
Top Bottom