Information Technology (IT)

Anyone here a developer? I’m at WGU for CS and so far the classes have been extremely easy. I started not too long ago and I’ve finished 7 classes. I’m on my first actual programming class now with C++. The previous classes in security, networking, and others were honestly easier than some of my high school classes. I get a feeling that I won’t have the proper education to get a high paying job once I’m done with this degree. I look on reddit and the new grad cs salaries are wild. Like they’re ranging from 100k-350k+. What can I do that will get me on that level in terms of skills and projects? I don’t know that much about coding yet but I’d rather start learning from other sources now then to realize it later. Maybe take a part time bootcamp, or learn from coursera? I’m open to anything that will put me at a high level
Just found this thread and was browsing through old posts. Honestly, everything you learn in CS classes is irrelevant to work in the real world. The biggest thing is data structures and algorithms that you'll need to prep for job interviews. If you want a 230k+ TC as a new grad you'll need to grind leetcode and start working on your own projects/contributing to open source projects on Github. Also, pick a comfort language and get REALLY ****ing good at it.

@degenerate423 I've got 2 project based Java courses, 2 data structures and algorithm courses, computer architecture, Operating systems for programmers, and Intro to AI.

Ive finished a class on html and css, and I've taken 2 classes on SQL, which isnt really programming.

I honestly have no clue. I figured I'd be doing either front end/ back end/ full stack web development because I thought that was the default for most cs grads. I have to look more into it, so I appreciate you asking me that.
Yes, most software engineers go in web development. If you're going this route learn TypeScript and React. There's a bunch of **** to learn and I do not want to overwhelm you. You should have basic understandings of these things and you'll be ahead of most of your peers: Git, TypeScript/JavaScript, React, Python, AWS.

Start working on real projects, **** all that other **** you learning in school.

Any advice from the CyberSec people on here for someone looking to get into the field with no prior experience?
Taken note of the posts that say to learn networking, Linux and python.

what field of CyberSec do you guys work in and which one would you say is a promising one to look into.
Considering taking a Bootcamp curriculum in early 2021 that lasts for 6 months and will have you ready to take the CompTiaa Sec+ exam and be an entry level cyber Security analyst but it’s very expensive and I’d like to figure out exactly what I want to focus on before committing all this money to it.
famb, you do not need a bootcamp to learn that stuff, if you have internet access and time you can use professor messor to pass the net+ and sec+ and the online community is very helpful, save your money please there are so many ppl tryna get newbies to pay them for "bootcamps" that are not really needed

famb, you do not need a bootcamp to learn that stuff, if you have internet access and time you can use professor messor to pass the net+ and sec+ and the online community is very helpful, save your money please there are so many ppl tryna get newbies to pay them for "bootcamps" that are not really needed
Thanks. I’m assuming that’s a YouTube channel? Can you please provide some resources for which online communities I should be looking at for help? I Appreciate Your help

It depends on what cloud platform , right now Amazon has the largest grip on the market share , so perhaps the AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner exam would be a good base/starting point, followed by CSA (certified solutions architect) if you wanted to get a bit more hands on.

Microsoft Azure and Google are up and coming still but you can’t wrong w any.
Good looking out. Ended up getting the AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner cert last week. Might double dip and get an Azure one as well.

I was heated at my little brother. He got out of the Army as a mechanic. Used his GI BIll to go to New Horizons to take their ridiculously priced certification program of A+/Net+/Sec+/CCNA and never got the cert. You just have to be disciplined. At the most, just cop a book like Darril Gibson's and study. That REDDIT is a freeasy way to get the resources.

Good looking out. Ended up getting the AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner cert last week. Might double dip and get an Azure one as well.
That's a good move. Both of them target different market segments. As a job, the Azure route is probably better since they're more catered for business and have O365. The actual cloud capabilibities are similar.

Any advice from the CyberSec people on here for someone looking to get into the field with no prior experience?
Taken note of the posts that say to learn networking, Linux and python.

what field of CyberSec do you guys work in and which one would you say is a promising one to look into.
Considering taking a Bootcamp curriculum in early 2021 that lasts for 6 months and will have you ready to take the CompTiaa Sec+ exam and be an entry level cyber Security analyst but it’s very expensive and I’d like to figure out exactly what I want to focus on before committing all this money to it.

ive done policy, pen testing, worked in a SOC, been a security engineer building architecture. I’m doing intrusion investigations now and I’ll say this. They are all promising for the most part. Personally I like what I’m doing now with the investigations. Just something about a good ol fashion computer intrusion I enjoy. I like the client engagement and depending on the client having them pull back the curtain and you see how the sauce is made is kinda cool.

ive done policy, pen testing, worked in a SOC, been a security engineer building architecture. I’m doing intrusion investigations now and I’ll say this. They are all promising for the most part. Personally I like what I’m doing now with the investigations. Just something about a good ol fashion computer intrusion I enjoy. I like the client engagement and depending on the client having them pull back the curtain and you see how the sauce is made is kinda cool.
Glad you’re liking it. What is SoC?

Just found this thread and was browsing through old posts. Honestly, everything you learn in CS classes is irrelevant to work in the real world. The biggest thing is data structures and algorithms that you'll need to prep for job interviews. If you want a 230k+ TC as a new grad you'll need to grind leetcode and start working on your own projects/contributing to open source projects on Github. Also, pick a comfort language and get REALLY ****ing good at it.

Yes, most software engineers go in web development. If you're going this route learn TypeScript and React. There's a bunch of **** to learn and I do not want to overwhelm you. You should have basic understandings of these things and you'll be ahead of most of your peers: Git, TypeScript/JavaScript, React, Python, AWS.

Start working on real projects, **** all that other **** you learning in school.

yo I really appreciate your in depth answer man. Thank you.

I was BS-ing when it came to studying for it the first go round so I failed it twice, but I finally passed the part 1 of the A+. Gonna take part two in a few weeks.

Congrats on the pass. I despise how they try to make this test difficult when it really shouldn't be. Blessings on the 2nd part.

Congrats on the pass. I despise how they try to make this test difficult when it really shouldn't be. Blessings on the 2nd part.
Appreciate it. It is crazy on how difficult they make it. On one hand, a lot of the questions are phrased in a way in which multiple answers could be the right answer as well as some questions are just out of the scope of a person who’s likely to using it to get a help desk type job.

That’s the plan so far. Already got my study material ready for the Net+.

At this moment, I’m eyeing IT consulting but that can change.

Do you have a main focus in mind such as Network, Security, Cloud Administration, or a variety of things?

Anyone here a CTO or in a position similar? Looking to learn more about the progress to get to that point - how long to get there, certain roles/positions that might help to get there, etc.

Back
Top Bottom