Information Technology (IT)

I’m starting to see it’s a whole lot of money being made in the field with some doing very little or the bare minimum

Government civilians a ton are like this: Retired chiefs or were in the military x amount of years looking to put in another 20 as a government civilian to get a second retirement pension. Also a lot of them have wives, kids, uncles, brothers, cousins etc in these government civilian jobs. So yeah definite favortism when it comes to who gets hired for these jobs.

Its a cultural thing and why a lot of them are lazy as F*uck :lol:

Our Project Managers are there for billing and customer escalations only, they are not technically proficient at all. Our IT dept and them are constantly in some type of fight. I avoid them whenever possible

They're not required to be technical, usually they're supposed to coordinate a project but unless they're incompetent what usually happens is the company short changes them and saddles them with ongoing maintenance and support instead of a proper handoff.

yeah, most PM’s aren’t required to be too technical. If they’re a good PM they’ll know when to chime in and when to sit one out, when to push a deadline through or when to scale it back.

The battles between technical work and project management is always a constant lol

If they’re a good PM they’ll know when to chime in and when to sit one out

That’s my beef with the ones at my company, I’m sure there are better ones elsewhere. Thankfully I’ve been here long enough that I can mostly move on my own

Any of you guys planning on getting your PMP or have it? Seems like easy money, ours make $100/hr to schedule meetings and that’s about it.

My military career will be complete next year. I definitely want that going out the door to resume pad lol. I don’t mind being partially technical. But consulting or management is probably my long term. Just not a useless GS lol.

yeah, most PM’s aren’t required to be too technical. If they’re a good PM they’ll know when to chime in and when to sit one out, when to push a deadline through or when to scale it back.

The battles between technical work and project management is always a constant lol

Very much true. However, the company where I am, all of our PM’s have extensive technical background - it helpful at times but can be very frustrating because they intervene on the technical implementation of the project when they shouldn’t.

For instance, one of the PM has admin power over one of our Data Warehouse (when the project started) - where some of the developers had to go through him to logon, every single time. :lol: Like a damn share remote session.

I can see of y’all “real” IT guys and not just the ones who got a few certs while in the military and got a job due to having a clearance. I look forward to letting y’all carry me after retirement :lol:
I’m a military guy. I have a “few” certs. But I’m also a CWO so can’t really really fake the funk unless I want my card pulled or get fired.

I do want to modernize a little bit eg Agile, DevOps, mild programming. I’m currently in the process of trying to get an internship at Cisco or WWT (VMware is my third choice). Only thing I don’t like it’s oh you work here so we’ll keep you more military focused when I want to see something different and “real.”

I’m a military guy. I have a “few” certs. But I’m also a CWO so can’t really really fake the funk unless I want my card pulled or get fired.

I do want to modernize a little bit eg Agile, DevOps, mild programming. I’m currently in the process of trying to get an internship at Cisco or WWT (VMware is my third choice). Only thing I don’t like it’s oh you work here so we’ll keep you more military focused when I want to see something different and “real.”
I’m just talking **** for now. I’ll be headed to WOCS in March and then WOBC in May. On the enlisted side I’ve learned a lot but am really looking forward to getting more technical. The certs are cool but I still have at least 8 years left and really want to learn the job more. I’ll grab the certs as they come.

I get so much spam fishing emails from technical recruiters and even big companies asking if I'm interested in a job or ask for my resume. It so damn annoying when I deleted my profile from Linkedin and Indeed over 5 years ago. Once these companies have your personal email or any data best believe they sell your data to other companies and data mine also.

Last edited:

you doing skillbridge? How many years you have in

you doing skillbridge? How many years you have in
I tried. The timing is an issue. They say you have to do it within 180 days of separation. Hire our Heroes and Corporate Fellowship do cohorts so it would cut into my terminal. I’m just going to work on me (PMP, CCNA Sec Ops, etc).

Man I actually love being on projects, keeping track of things, getting it done and seeing it through to completion, but I can't stand all that methodology and terminology ****. Just seems like pointless **** to learn if I can naturally drive a project. Everyone wants it through that HR filter though.

I am jealous though of all the military/clearance apprenticeship programs I see. They will straight up train you up for roles they ask for 8 years of experience for otherwise.

Any of you guys planning on getting your PMP or have it? Seems like easy money, ours make $100/hr to schedule meetings and that’s about it.
Thats crazy. I have worked exclusively in the cleared Government space and I hate to minimize anyone's job but a lot of them just approve timesheets and manage the deliverables/quantifiables (like trouble tickets submitted/closed if its a help desk contract) and deadlines and have a weekly meeting with the Gov client about it. I've worked with plenty of cool ones who would even admit they dont do much and sre just at their desk surfing or working on their own stuff on company dime. Itz funny though because the cool, siper relaxed ones who let you go home early every day and take off without using pto all of a sudden turn super Stern when and throw you under the bus with a quickness when their butt comes even a fraction under the fire over it. Dude was writing me up one day and I'm just looking at hin like we really doing this song and dance Darren?

By the way, Telos. They have an amazing way of gettibg the most high paying to ratio of do almost nothing and overstaffed contracts I have ever seen. So if that's something that interests you, so you can surf the web or get certs or go back to school while at work, look at them. In fact we were literally getting sent home every day because all the Air Force airmen and civilians were complaining that we were just sitting in the office not doing anything most of the time so we were better off just being out of sight then seen just sitting there at the conference table twiddling our thumbs, we didnt even all have desks or computers at first on that contract

Back
Top Bottom