Information Technology (IT)

What are some good remote job ideas for someone with desktop support / help desk experience?

You can do desktop remote. I had a recruiter hit me the other day about 100% remote desktop gig. I would've taken the bait if it wasn't for the fact that it was 9 months contract to hire. Gig was paying $40/hr which equates to about $83K a year.

You can do desktop remote. I had a recruiter hit me the other day about 100% remote desktop gig. I would've taken the bait if it wasn't for the fact that it was 9 months contract to hire. Gig was paying $40/hr which equates to about $83K a year.
Fam 83k for desktop?! That's crazy. Granite it's always c.o.l differences but since 100% negates it I need to find roles based on c.o.l from more expensive places I guess and work them from here in OK.

we pay our desktop techs up to $100k. we’re hiring for a desktop engineer and that salary range is suppose to be $120-150k

Bay Area, btw.

I'm currently contracting for a company and they asked for a number to keep me on full and I said $92K. I thought it was a little on the high end, but now I don't feel bad at all. This is in Chicago.

Fam 83k for desktop?! That's crazy. Granite it's always c.o.l differences but since 100% negates it I need to find roles based on c.o.l from more expensive places I guess and work them from here in OK.

I've seen some go as high as $110-$120K here in Chicago, but a lot of those jobs have Sys Admins responsibilities with a Desktop title.

I've seen some go as high as $110-$120K here in Chicago, but a lot of those jobs have Sys Admins responsibilities with a Desktop title.
yea its worth noting our techs do more than just typical break/fix tickets. they also work on what we call enterprise level projects.

we’re fighting to take responsibility of system admin stuff and hopefully pay them more if we’re able to snatch those responsibilities from another team.

Well…that’s adjusted for cost of living and taxes lol.

what does a Desktop Tech do?

Recover files? Deploy workstations. Driver/printer issues?

Any one have tips/or recommend any services or anything for resumes?

I’m looking to make the switch from the restaurant/delivery world and I haven’t had to make a resume in 10+ years

gonna start making moves towards making the switch. I gotta read back in here but is it still A+ and sec+ to start?

i have 0 experience in the field and no degree but I gotta start somewhere

A+ to learn the inner working of computer systems. Network+ to get basic networking concepts. Sec+ to get basic cybersecurity concepts. All three regarded as the holy trinity of basic computer/IT certifications.

If you’re interested in joining the IT industry, that’s a good start.

when you determine what or If you’d like a specialty you can go down servers (VMware, Red Hat, Microsoft Cloud), networking (Cisco), cybersecurity (Sec+/CISSP/CISM/CASP/OCSP), project management (Project+, PMP/CAPM)…then there is programming or database management.

I can’t even imagine what the journey will hold for you but wish you well. You’re going to have to grind.

There are practice tests. There are YouTube videos.CBT like ITProTV, CBT Nuggets, INE, Pluralsight, etc. O’Reilly Books. Labs….if you get a server to do virtualization or a decent laptop with Virtual Box or VMware player/Pro.

Doing a little over 80k in NYC... If my crypto bags moon the way I anticipate. I'm gonna take a couple years off and learn to code.... Comeback making at least 130k on a remote gig... Lol

spiderjericho spiderjericho Which of those provide the best job opportunities- in terms of what’s available? I’ve heard the cyber is difficult to break into, while getting Red Hat certs pretty much gives you a high chance of getting a job

Bro. Get in where you can fit in. I’m being real. Every position is a stepping stone.

As far as which…it all depends on you. Your interests. I can’t do a job I hate. I’m running into it now (but mainly because of the environment).

You’re probably going to have to start as a generalist which is why the holy trinity are important. Then figure out you. I know a guy. In just a few years…he’s gotten quite a few cybersecurity certifications. Got a pen testing Job and teaches on the side. Probably making over six figures in South Florida.

I seen another cat start out in desktop support. Had just his Sec+. Grinded And got his bachelors and PMP using his GI Bill. Graduated to a project manager and six figures.

Unlike medicine or law, you don’t have to catch a few strays and accrue a lot of debt in pursuing a career in IT. But the outcome is either going to be what you know (which is why it’s important to stay abreast and study) or who you know.

I will say I despise when you interview with a company and they don't have the decency to let you know that you were not selected. I interviewed 2 and a half weeks ago, a second interview, and still haven't heard anything back. I've accepted it, but think it's just bad business.

I will say I despise when you interview with a company and they don't have the decency to let you know that you were not selected. I interviewed 2 and a half weeks ago, a second interview, and still haven't heard anything back. I've accepted it, but think it's just bad business.
Yeah that is the worst.

I’m not used to that.

It’s pursuing livelihood. Might have to treat it like chasing h03$.

But you’re right. There’s a right way to handle things. Least they can do is provide feedback to help you.

Any one have tips/or recommend any services or anything for resumes?

I’m looking to make the switch from the restaurant/delivery world and I haven’t had to make a resume in 10+ years

gonna start making moves towards making the switch. I gotta read back in here but is it still A+ and sec+ to start?

i have 0 experience in the field and no degree but I gotta start somewhere
Most say dive into the A+ but that requires a little bit of prior computing knowledge. I'll recommend to read a CompTia ITF book.

Back
Top Bottom