Information Technology (IT)

Why does it make you unhappy?
Number 1 reason that weather, can't beat that California weather. Also being in Fairfax not as close to the beach as I use to be in San Diego. Obviously the pain doesn't hurt enough to move, but man I miss it every time I board the plane coming home from Cali.

Seems like since it’s the holidays recruiters have sort of slowed down. They were hitting me up all day but I’m currently only interested in remote jobs.

How do y’all stay hungry? I’ll admit I’m sort of lazy but in IT it seems like you have to be willing to learn off hours a lot compared to other career fields to stay abreast to new technologies.

Can't be mad at that, can go from mountains to beaches in 20 mins.
On the flip side those housing costs.
$1.4 for 2300 sq
1 mi out in Vista for 2200 sq. My dad stays out there, and is trying to sell and move to NC, but new wife ain't having that.
Seems like since it’s the holidays recruiters have sort of slowed down. They were hitting me up all day but I’m currently only interested in remote jobs.

How do y’all stay hungry? I’ll admit I’m sort of lazy but in IT it seems like you have to be willing to learn off hours a lot compared to other career fields to stay abreast to new technologies.
How do I stay hungry, money is my motivation. I need to see half a mil in a year, as I get close to that I need to see 2 mil a year. Came from real humble beginnings, like I remember cleaning banks after hours with my sister around 10. I NEVER want to go back down the income scale. The nice and rich things are made for someone, if not me then my daughters or my daughters kids. I could never move with the mindset I am good where I am and settle. Thankfully I can do my learning during work hours.

Definitely feel you on money is the motivation. It’s out there for the taking especially in the DMV area. Work with the Gov so I’ll probably try to see what the Azure route offers. Currently work with SCCM/MECM so looking at getting my Intune skills up.

I was with was a DOD level company and they got me my Public Trust Level 3, I was there for a year (Service Desk Role). I just landed a role for more money working the Help Desk. With my Security+ they were able to get me a secret clearance.
My main focus is cloud. But I'm just leveling up as I go while I study.

Anyone else currently working Helpdesk?

I'm lucky IMO, it's not 100% phone. We get calls into the helpdesk but most of the people we deal with are walk ups.
I wish we were only ticket based though. lol

I was with was a DOD level company and they got me my Public Trust Level 3, I was there for a year (Service Desk Role). I just landed a role for more money working the Help Desk. With my Security+ they were able to get me a secret clearance.
My main focus is cloud. But I'm just leveling up as I go while I study.

Anyone else currently working Helpdesk?

I'm lucky IMO, it's not 100% phone. We get calls into the helpdesk but most of the people we deal with are walk ups.
I wish we were only ticket based though. lol
Been there my guy, you are right on track and following the same path as many of us. Help desk roles that aren't exclusively on the phone are the best, you have more free time to walk around between tickets. You get to see some nice sights walking around. Good times, stay the course. Congrats on the new role.

Been there my guy, you are right on track and following the same path as many of us. Help desk roles that aren't exclusively on the phone are the best, you have more free time to walk around between tickets. You get to see some nice sights walking around. Good times, stay the course. Congrats on the new role.
Def reassuring.
Yeah, compared it feels amazing not to come into work and be attached to a headset. Having no mobility until your breaks/lunch or if you just need to go to the bathroom.
We also have a gym connected, so on my lunch hour, I get my workout in.
Thanks for the kind words.

Def reassuring.
Yeah, compared it feels amazing not to come into work and be attached to a headset. Having no mobility until your breaks/lunch or if you just need to go to the bathroom.
We also have a gym connected, so on my lunch hour, I get my workout in.
Thanks for the kind words.
You can use some of that time to go chat with sone of the other teams and start networking to potentially get you on one of those teams and out of help desk.

Congratulations though. Try to also assist the VIP/executive users to get that exposure and list it on your resume.

Yeah, I'm definitely trying to build relationships.
A friend at my last job was told about this job I currently have. He didn't have a Sec+ so he couldn't take it. (Requirement)
He has a BA Comp-Sci degree.

Us being cool, helped me grab this job.
I'm def learning the power of relationships.

I'm no kiss ***, which you see a ton of... But I like to think I'm just a solid down to earth guy. People normal feel comfortable around me and like me. I'm mostly in my own zone just trying to push out quality work though...

That is kinda funny how things change. 10 years ago, "specialize in one thing". Now it's "know all the things". They want you to be a sys admin that knows cybersecurity, cloud, programming, networking, basketweaving, baby feeding, lawnmowing etc

For Years I Felt Bad Because I Didnt Really Have A Specialty And Was Just A Swiss Army Knife.

But That's Ironically What's Likely Helped Me Be Successful :lol:

I've shockingly got a couple of good leads from recruiters in the last couple of weeks. Waiting a call now from a company do the initial phone interview. Have another call Monday of next week. Waiting to hear back about another. Problem is these interviews are draining the constant rotating of recruiters. Once they find out you're not a fit for the gig they're done with you and then it's on to the next.

Yeah, as a former military service member who worked with contractors. DMV is probably the best sport if you got a clearance, want six figures (easy), and care about QoL (just don’t live in DC lol).

But anywhere there’s a COCOM (Hawaii, Miami, Tampa, Colorado, Ft Meade, etc) or major Service enterprise NOC (Quantico, San Diego, Hawaii, Ft Huachuca sp, etc) is an opportunity to get a good job. DMV provides the best option for opportunities. Doesn’t matter the background: PM, Cyber, Networking, Cloud, AI, Sys Admin, etc.

Yeah, as a former military service member who worked with contractors. DMV is probably the best sport if you got a clearance, want six figures (easy), and care about QoL (just don’t live in DC lol).

But anywhere there’s a COCOM (Hawaii, Miami, Tampa, Colorado, Ft Meade, etc) or major Service enterprise NOC (Quantico, San Diego, Hawaii, Ft Huachuca sp, etc) is an opportunity to get a good job. DMV provides the best option for opportunities. Doesn’t matter the background: PM, Cyber, Networking, Cloud, AI, Sys Admin, etc.
Def going to look in the DMV market. Love San Diego but wouldn’t mind a change of scenery

How likely do y’all think it would be for me to get my first job in IT as a contractor? Just started studying for my net+ and want to start to look for jobs in the next month or so
I kinda wanna see if I can get a 6 month contract and then travel in the summer before I go full time but idk if that’s realistic
I’m in Boston btw. Seems like these contract jobs you guys talk about are government

Def going to look in the DMV market. Love San Diego but wouldn’t mind a change of scenery
I lived in San Diego for three years. There were jobs there. Civilian or government. Cisco, M$, Verizon, Spawar (Navy), USMC, etc. The cost of living is foul though lol. Love the weather. And obviously you’re about two hours from LA, 4+ from Nevada, etc.

How likely do y’all think it would be for me to get my first job in IT as a contractor? Just started studying for my net+ and want to start to look for jobs in the next month or so
I kinda wanna see if I can get a 6 month contract and then travel in the summer before I go full time but idk if that’s realistic
I’m in Boston btw. Seems like these contract jobs you guys talk about are government
There are probably federal contracts as well. Experience is always going to be preferred. But if there is a dearth of applicants, they’ll probably waive it. Sec+ is probably preferable. But A+ or Net+ probably checks 8570.

DoD 8570

The levels correspond to your job and scope. A+ and Net+ are probably good for help desk. You start moving up…it’s probably safer to get Sec+ and check most boxes besides the management side.

I lived in San Diego for three years. There were jobs there. Civilian or government. Cisco, M$, Verizon, Spawar (Navy), USMC, etc. The cost of living is foul though lol. Love the weather. And obviously you’re about two hours from LA, 4+ from Nevada, etc.
I’m currently at NAVWAR (sea side) would you say the pay is a lot more being out in the DMV than San Diego

Yes. Easy. Better cost of living. Just gotta give up that weather, Mexican and heavy Asian food, InNOut, Raising Canes, Jolie Bee, etc.

If I didn’t have a daughter, I would’ve taken a job at Microsoft out there.

Understand when I say DMV, it’s literally DC, Maryland, and North Virginia. Federal can extend from DoD to FBI to CIA to DHS to Fed Gov.

Back
Top Bottom