Information Technology (IT)

Word. Sprinkle a little bit on your resume and hopefully you can land some Sys Admin interviews and that will give you a feel of interview questions and what they’re looking for.

man Im tryna get to 6 figures and I'm on the cusp, but every Sys Admin job that is remote (because they're not paying like that out here for just sys admins) has Cyber Security AND some other proprietary technology attached. I dont even be knowing what half of these things are, G081/Windows sys Admin, Middleware Sys Admin, Sys Admin/ServiceNow Architect.

Cyber jobs, rmf/nist/etc are like 130k alone, why I want to do that and be in charge of Windows? And it seems dull and then when inspections come that **** was hella stressful for me and I just had to be in the meetings and keep sending our cyber guy artifacts for whatever the auditors were asking for (ie need to see proof remote desktop is disabled), had a list of like a millon things he needed and we had multiple meetings a day and everyone had to send them to him and obviously he had to organize it all to present to the auditor

I could learn something new, but i dont want to :lol: Well if its on the job thats fine but Id like to avoid getting another cert or certainly taking a class or something.,

Last edited:
Taking the lead role for a year won't be a bad look but more service desk only prepares you for more service desk. Unless the lead role gets admin level access which some do.

Word. Sprinkle a little bit on your resume and hopefully you can land some Sys Admin interviews and that will give you a feel of interview questions and what they’re looking for.
I have a home lab and understand what some of the responsibilities will entail but I just don’t feel ready yet so I’m at a crossroads between being like I’m not ready as well as saying **** it, they’ll train me.

I haven’t been at my current company for a year yet so I have a little time but I’m getting ready to look at other options.

man Im tryna get to 6 figures and I'm on the cusp, but every Sys Admin job that is remote (because they're not paying like that out here for just sys admins) has Cyber Security AND some other proprietary technology attached. I dont even be knowing what half of these things are, G081/Windows sys Admin, Middleware Sys Admin, Sys Admin/ServiceNow Architect.

Cyber jobs, rmf/nist/etc are like 130k alone, why I want to do that and be in charge of Windows? And it seems dull and then when inspections come that **** was hella stressful for me and I just had to be in the meetings and keep sending our cyber guy artifacts for whatever the auditors were asking for (ie need to see proof remote desktop is disabled), had a list of like a millon things he needed and we had multiple meetings a day and everyone had to send them to him and obviously he had to organize it all to present to the auditor

I could learn something new, but i dont want to :lol: Well if its on the job thats fine but Id like to avoid getting another cert or certainly taking a class or something.,
Friend of mine took some infosec job coming from a Sys Admin role and it’s the auditor type so it’s hella paperwork. Looking at controls and that FISMA type stuff. I told her not to but she didn’t listen and now hates it. You gotta be built for that type of work. I already know I’m too lazy.

6 figure job ?

Become a Test Engineer or QA
It’s a little hard but the actual work is easy. Hardest part is to crack interviews as they have people with god complex try to break you for technical rounds even though the actual work on the job will have nothing to do with it :lol:
You can transition to becoming a scrum master which is essentially a leadership coach role too.

Lol yeah and then when you actually work it’s prob only 3-5 things they use regardless of what the job requirement stated

Yea I dealt with that a few times, when it's clear it's probably not about to go your way you have to be quick to remind them an interview is a 2 way thing, and actually I'm rejecting you. Their eyes got so big like they didnt know the interviewee could do that. Told them ****** its Friday and its around lunchtime we might as well call it early #reclaimingmytime

Luckily I'm in a great job to have while looking for a job, because of the pay, clearance level, and fact i literally have nothing to do, not even pretend attached to any projects or responsibilities. Contract is called the whitespace contract and for whatever reason Telos specializes in them. Obviously I should be leveling up in some way or doing something productive with all the spare time but instead i go to the car and watch youtube videos, take naps, and just go on breaks

Last edited:

How many years experience do you have in IT and what certs do you have? That definitely plays a role in how much you'll get.
I would also add that if you can get into Government Contracting, that's the easiest way to Get into 6 fig range. It only took me 1.5 years to reach that (no brag)

Last edited:
I watched all of professor messers comptia a+ videos. My question is should I move on to network + or try and get a+ certified 1st?
Info fresh in your mind might as well get the cert and then move on. You put in the time watching them, get paid for it.

How many years experience do you have in IT and what certs do you have? That definitely plays a role in how much you'll get.
I would also add that if you can get into Government Contracting, that's the easiest way to Get into 6 fig range. It only took me 1.5 years to reach that (no brag)
What state do you live in? I live in Oklahoma. I could certainly relocate and get it but thats not an option

I have a ts clearance, sec +, and 10+ yrs. Its just not tons of 6 figure jobs period out here and I am a Gov contractor. Supposedly we’re going to get our sci designation added to our top secret before the end of the year and maybe raises so I’ll probably wait for that

What state do you live in? I live in Oklahoma. I could certainly relocate and get it but thats not an option

I have a ts clearance, sec +, and 10+ yrs. Its just not tons of 6 figure jobs period out here and I am a Gov contractor. Supposedly we’re going to get our sci designation added to our top secret before the end of the year and maybe raises so I’ll probably wait for that
Midas whale be looking for those remote gigs on the east coast

Your TS alone will put you in 6 figs out here in Cali. with what you have I say you'll get 120-140k range and might be higher if you have a degree. I would see what jobs out here will allow you to be remote if moving isnt an option (also check east coast like willypete willypete said). Too much money you're leaving on the table having a TS if you're not utilizing it in the right places

Ignoring i have roots here (2 small kids), moving a significantly higher C.O.L state seems like hustling backwards, for 25k more? Could i get a 3 or 4 br rental within 30 minute from work (not about that long commute life nor rooomates) for like under 2k?

Yea willypete willypete i been trying to get some ne remote stuff, just getting passed over and lots are doing 1 day on site 4 remote hybrid models so Id still have to move unfortunately. Had a plug at VMWare but after how they ended up doing him getting him kicked off our project I am sure thats shot.

Best case for moving is if something was offering so much I couldn’t say no and i just did it for 6mo to a year to stack and went by myself, so thatd be most likely overseas

You could probably get 130k-150k in the DMV area as well with those credentials. I have the exact creds along with a CASP and im in the upper part of that range as a Senior SA at a military base in Northern VA. I remote 3 days a week and onsite for 2 days, my gig is pretty sweet.

easy no thanks to 120k in Cali.
Only way I would look at Cali jobs is 1000% remote, taxes to WILD out in Cali. My biological clock is already wild as it is so 3 hour time difference wouldn't even bother me.
In general or for a specific position?

You can live more than fine off of 120k out here.
No offense but we have different definitions of fine. I make more than 120K here in VA, with a lower cost of living and I ain't happy.
You could probably get 130k-150k in the DMV area as well with those credentials. I have the exact creds along with a CASP and im in the upper part of that range as a Senior SA at a military base in Northern VA. I remote 3 days a week and onsite for 2 days, my gig is pretty sweet.
More or less same setup I have in the Northern VA area, pay is a bit more though. Also have my CASP, been in IT for over 20 years. Don't forget to do FedVTE for CE for your CASP, mine expires next month but more than halfway done with my CE's

I would never advise to just jump to sec+ unless the person has the knowledge.
Hello, it's me. :lol: Had to pass Sec+ to get my first IT job in 2013 per the contract. Grinded in help desk/logistics jobs up until 2019. Been a program analyst since.

Didn't know you were in NOVA too. titang545 titang545

Hello, it's me. :lol: Had to pass Sec+ to get my first IT job in 2013 per the contract. Grinded in help desk/logistics jobs up until 2019. Been a program analyst since.

Didn't know you were in NOVA too. titang545 titang545
Yup been out here since 96 and unhappy. I want to go back to Cali but that cost of living and I don't have that Google money, so here I stay.

Back
Top Bottom