Information Technology (IT)

I'll post them when I get home. If you have a preferred location and/or title pm me too. I get sent stuff like SCCM Admin to Network stuff. I went to my Spam folder and had legit offers in there too but a lot of times they'll just email a lot of candidates to see who hits back or usually email me then call me.

Started my new job this week its cake. So easy the network admin dude is about to quit because we're not really doing sysadmin/netadmin stuff. Seems like we're just going to be high paid equipment custodians but the money is good and they're sponsoring my TS so I'll ride it out until that comes through. I just checked out a few CISSP. books so I'll have something to be doing other than sitting there

Pretty good contrast in terms of knowledge. CISSP is more management focused. While CASP is more technical.

Wish you luck in achieving your goals. Four months to study both is very realistic.

Just started a new position in Taiwan, planning to study for the CISSP and CASP while I am out here so I can transition into a cyber role once I return to the states next year.
Hopefully will have both certs done by August.

what are the pros & cons to these?
i have my sec+ scheduled in one month and want to quickly jump to the next test and had either of these in mind.

i have my sec+ scheduled in one month and want to quickly jump to the next test and had either of these in mind.

Sec+ is the industry standard basic security certification.

I outlined in my post above the roles each certification would apply to.

CISSP = Management
CASP = Technician

They're both generalist certifications though (but you do have to know a lil something, something about Windows, Linux, security tools and appliances with CASP).

You can self study for both (Safari, Library, Amazon/Barnes and Noble or videos via ITProTV, cybrary, CBT Nuggets, etc).

For CompTIA, Security +> Pentest+ or CySa+ > CASP to complete their security track. Is there value in their tests? No, except in DoD. Their tests are legit though. I passed the CySa+ in May. The material (Sybex book) was good. I started reading the Pentest+ book, and it's pretty good too.

CISSP has the best return of investment in security related certifications in both the public and government sectors. The actual test and KSAs are garbo but the reputation is great.

There's also Offensive Security's OSCP (intermediate Pen testing certification) or SANS (their classes are expensive).

Just check what's in demand in your area. You can make bread doing endpoint security.
what exactly is required for that

I'm going to school right now, haven't really decided what to do but I have always been into IT but I kinda feel confused about everything

some lady I met told me to look into IT or cyber security because its the thing to get into and a lot of money can be made. I assume it requires a lot of schooling?

The knowledge needed to pass the comptia tests are solid, but not a fan of the tests themselves as they aren't usually straightforward. Instead of direct question/ direct answer it's like learning how to answer their questions. They're entry level though so I kinda get it.

Sec+ is the industry standard basic security certification.

I outlined in my post above the roles each certification would apply to.

CISSP = Management
CASP = Technician

They're both generalist certifications though (but you do have to know a lil something, something about Windows, Linux, security tools and appliances with CASP).

You can self study for both (Safari, Library, Amazon/Barnes and Noble or videos via ITProTV, cybrary, CBT Nuggets, etc).

For CompTIA, Security +> Pentest+ or CySa+ > CASP to complete their security track. Is there value in their tests? No, except in DoD. Their tests are legit though. I passed the CySa+ in May. The material (Sybex book) was good. I started reading the Pentest+ book, and it's pretty good too.

CISSP has the best return of investment in security related certifications in both the public and government sectors. The actual test and KSAs are garbo but the reputation is great.

There's also Offensive Security's OSCP (intermediate Pen testing certification) or SANS (their classes are expensive).

Appreciate this info my guy.

my goal is to get certs that will open doors for me.

Just closed & deleted my Linkedin.com account.

That site has seriously become so damn annoying and worse than facebook and IG.

Security + is a required cert if you are going to work any government or military related job. Be it as a government CIV slave or as a DoD government contractor.

anyone ever heard of flatiron school?

Also would an online degree in IT actually help me get a job or is it just a waste of time and $

A degree always helps depending on the position. Just like a Master's helps in some teaching positions and obtaining management jobs.

Would a degree help in a help desk position? No. You're just a warm body in a chair lol.

What are the IT jobs looking like in Atlanta?
I was wondering the same thing. :nerd:

With housing so expensive out in SF, I probably can’t afford to own anythin out here anytime soon and was thinking of relocating to ATL. But I want to keep my current salary though. :nerd:

I see many fresh prince sized mansions out in the ATL for around $250K, I need to get me one of those. :nerd:

The knowledge needed to pass the comptia tests are solid, but not a fan of the tests themselves as they aren't usually straightforward. Instead of direct question/ direct answer it's like learning how to answer their questions. They're entry level though so I kinda get it.

Honestly, that's most of these exams including Cisco as well. The questions are sometimes so bad worded you're forced to read it a few times to truly understand what's being asked.

****ing hell I missed it :smh:

Just closed & deleted my Linkedin.com account.

That site has seriously become so damn annoying and worse than facebook and IG.

What do you mean? Its been extremely clutch for me finding contract work recently I've landed 3 gigs since the summer ended

I just turn off all notifications outside of messages and job alerts for positions/contracts I was trying to secure for future work.

Honestly, that's most of these exams including Cisco as well. The questions are sometimes so bad worded you're forced to read it a few times to truly understand what's being asked.

Cisco is the absolute worst. Their tests are trivial pursuit sometimes or product selling brochures.

CompTIA exams are simple enough where you can literally eliminate two bad answers, one iffy. They have improved the quality after they switched to this CE model. I’ve taken the Security+ exam three times. I let my certs lapse in 2014 and was an idiot and didn’t renew them via CE and fees. They added simulations and made the exam questions more relevant. And the CySA, Pentest, and CASP are legit exams and body of information. It’s too bad their reputation is mainly in Sec+.

A degree always helps depending on the position. Just like a Master's helps in some teaching positions and obtaining management jobs.

Would a degree help in a help desk position? No. You're just a warm body in a chair lol.

I have 0 experience. I would like to be a developer. I know its vague but I just want to make 70-80k

In the end though I would like to become a data scientist. I've always been good at math/stat

Last edited:
IT is a mile long and miles deep lol. Development and Data Science are not my wheel house. Hopefully, someone can chime in.

I’ve met Data Scientists. Smart dudes. Definitely a growing IT career track.

Hopefully amazon encourages other big tech to move into the capitol as well. Theres so many opportunities in the Reston/Tysons area but I'd love to go after positions in the Arlington/DC area.

Will be spamming my resume to amazon soon

I was wondering the same thing. :nerd:

With housing so expensive out in SF, I probably can’t afford to own anythin out here anytime soon and was thinking of relocating to ATL. But I want to keep my current salary though. :nerd:

I see many fresh prince sized mansions out in the ATL for around $250K, I need to get me one of those. :nerd:

It's alot of IT jobs here. What you do? Also, yeah you can get a nice crib for about 200k. My house is 2800 sq ft 5 bdrms 3 full baths for 204k.

Im busy doing research, and Im reading that you can get a CEH certification without any job experience...

Last question and then Ill stick to researching and Quora - Can I get a job with an AWS Certified Developer - Associate certification and no degree/experience?

Last edited:
@Top Boy been reading through your old posts. Good stuff man. I've got no degree/no IT experience. Would I absolutely have to start at a help desk in order to move up? Also how quickly can I move up? Can I do a help desk job for 3-4 months while getting a certification like CEH, CCNA, or the AWS - Associate and just leave for a much higher paying position? I'm honestly just confused and it kind of sucks having to work for 15-16/hr in the beginning at the help desk. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom