Information Technology (IT)

Glad I found this thread.

I recently passed my comptia network+ cert exam. Already have the sec+ cert from last year, was wondering if I should go ahead and do A+ to complete the core 3. I know you would normally start with A+ and work your way up but I went the other route.

When I started with sec+ I was new to IT and was interested in the course, so I just happened to do that one first.

Same thing here.. I have my sec plus.. I'm about to finish networking cert, but was never thinking about taking A plus. seems pretty useless unless you started at the A+.

I have HTML, CSS, & JavaScript under my belt. Should have CCNA pretty soon, then going full scale on python. And maybe linux like some in here recommend.

Going for my PMP in May, Do you guys recommend Joseph Phillips PMP for the 35 hours? Im seeing its highly recommended and usually on sale for 15 but currently the price tag is 89.99

Finally left the last company after 2 years of no progression. Started a contract with another company(potentially could go FTE) where I'm doing level 3 desktop work. Feels like a step below lead/management as it requires a lot of phone calls and making things happen with vendors. I'll take it though because the last gig burned me out with strictly helping people with PC/Mac issues. Nice pay bump and my boss makes it point to stress that we have projects to work on that goes out for years. Just started Monday and working remotely. Company sent everything from laptop to monitors to cell phone to docking station, etc. Here's to a new beginning!

Going for my PMP in May, Do you guys recommend Joseph Phillips PMP for the 35 hours? Im seeing its highly recommended and usually on sale for 15 but currently the price tag is 89.99

I used that and it was good. Lots of info and resources with that course. Just wait for it to go on sale for like $13-20 (prices change udemy frequently).

The prepcast exam simulator was the true key to passing the exam for me tho. Highly recommended. Let me know if you have any other questions. I took it before they changed the test but crushed that joint.

Props on the prep cast exam simulator. I’ll give it a shot when I prepare finally lol.

Cough just saw the price.

Bowflex, how would you say that certification changed your life?

Props on the prep cast exam simulator. I’ll give it a shot when I prepare finally lol.

Cough just saw the price.

Bowflex, how would you say that certification changed your life?

Just the simulator isn’t bad ($149). Make sure you aren’t looking at the price for their full package. My companies always reimbursed it.
The cert added some structure to how I work. I was pretty much thrown into Project Management work after working my way up as a manager. It allowed me to know what some things were actually for, what I was missing, and helped understand the terminology. I typically use a hybrid of Waterfall and Agile for the work I do tho.
I also switched jobs and got a big raise so that helped too. I ended up getting like 3 other certs after the PMP. I didn't know what to do with my time after being locked in with studying for the PMP.

Great info bowflex bowflex much appreciated. Actually just got my AWS Cloud Cert after studying for a month.

How long did it take for you to obtain the PMP? Also do you recommend getting the PMI-ACP and ITIL4 ?

Great info bowflex bowflex much appreciated. Actually just got my AWS Cloud Cert after studying for a month.

How long did it take for you to obtain the PMP? Also do you recommend getting the PMI-ACP and ITIL4 ?
It took me like 2-3 months of actual studying. The 35 hours of education took like 6-7 months because I wasn’t motivated (I recommend to speed the udemy videos up to 1.5x to get through them). I always tell people to schedule the exam to light that fire under them. I didn’t take it seriously until I did that. PMI-ACP was hard (harder than the PMP to me) and isn’t as known, so I wouldn’t recommend it. ITIL4 would depend on your field. Some places actually value it, so if your company pays for it, I would recommend it. You can honestly get it in a weekend too.

Any Solutions Architects here? I'm thinking about getting the AWS Certified Solutions Architect Associate cert. I'm not sure how much development experience is needed to actually do the job (if any).

I have no idea where I want to go in IT.
Joined a meeting at work for people who have a interest in getting into security and it seemed boring af.

but then again, i dont think anyone enjoys doing IT. we're all just in it for $

Joined a meeting at work for people who have a interest in getting into security and it seemed boring af.

as a supervisor, no doubt money is the motivation. but i’d like to think people on my team do enjoy most aspects of their job. we are desktop support, but we’re tiered and i manage our tier 2/3 team that act as account managers and solution providers - thinking outside the box and finding solutions for better business practices are encouraged, even if the idea is dumb.

with that said, we have a separate security team in our organization and i couldnt do that **** and genuinely enjoy it :lol: to each their own tho...

I have a security assignment im working on

its creating an attack diagram

if anyone wants to review it when im done pm me ur email and the help/opionions would be nice

Our security guy and I used to get in constant arguments about stuff like his super aggressive email filters. No way I could do that job, maybe it’s more fun at other companies.

Currently studying for my CCNA. My path is Network Engineering. Any good tips on what else I should study/get certified in? I hear Juniper is huge.

been trying to learn python but damn i dont think coding is for me

im struggling out there. may need to find something else within IT.

What foundational language did you start with first? Perhaps you need to start at the fundamentals.

Perhaps for other IT professions - DBA, Project Management, Product Owner/Manager, Engineer, Enterprise Architect

What foundational language did you start with first? Perhaps you need to start at the fundamentals.

Perhaps for other IT professions - DBA, Project Management, Product Owner/Manager, Engineer, Enterprise Architect

I have zero coding skills so no language at all. I just signed up for googles/coursea Python class.

Thats what was recommended to me if you already have your foot in the door in IT (Help Desk) according to Google.

I have zero coding skills so no language at all. I just signed up for googles/coursea Python class.

Thats what was recommended to me if you already have your foot in the door in IT (Help Desk) according to Google.

If you’re on the Help Desk, perhaps System Engineer, System Analyst, Azure Engineer, AWS Engineer, Data Scientist,

You just have to find your lane. It may take time

Look here for a roadmap of careers you can get in
DFA16A40-61AD-44DC-A418-E95D58473E04.png

Back
Top Bottom