Information Technology (IT)

He didn't even ask any questions about my job, my experience, or skill level. A good interview would be like (I was told this job would be primarily dealing with AD right), so you say you're the expert in GPOs at your current location, explain to me in detail an example of how you use it to solve a problem. And I'd probably reply about the current Printnightmare and other vulnerabilities and us having 1000s of systems to mitigate which would obviously require tremendous time and effort, but I took 10 minutes to write a gpo disabling print spooler services, dropped it top level of the domain. Everything is safe. Or ask me what I did at each stop on my resume and compare it to what I'd be doing there, even ask me more.

Guy literally just asked me definitions like it was a test. He said do you know what standard scope is? Do you know what ADR is? And every time I even did know a book definition of something, he'd just continue until I said no. Then he'd read the definition. By the end of the interview my spirit was so low I was just like no, when he asked if I had any questions for him. Cat had like 9 people on the zoom too, I'm sure they were messaging him aside privately like cmon dude just end it. Went on for like an hour.

He didn't even ask any questions about my job, my experience, or skill level. A good interview would be like (I was told this job would be primarily dealing with AD right), so you say you're the expert in GPOs at your current location, explain to me in detail an example of how you use it to solve a problem. And I'd probably reply about the current Printnightmare and other vulnerabilities and us having 1000s of systems to mitigate which would obviously require tremendous time and effort, but I took 10 minutes to write a gpo disabling print spooler services, dropped it top level of the domain. Everything is safe. Or ask me what I did at each stop on my resume and compare it to what I'd be doing there, even ask me more.

Guy literally just asked me definitions like it was a test. He said do you know what standard scope is? Do you know what ADR is? And every time I even did know a book definition of something, he'd just continue until I said no. Then he'd read the definition. By the end of the interview my spirit was so low I was just like no, when he asked if I had any questions for him. Cat had like 9 people on the zoom too, I'm sure they were messaging him aside privately like cmon dude just end it. Went on for like an hour.

Bro i hate those type of interviews. it doesn't prove your knowledge in the fields you are trying to apply for, and correct i rather have someone gives me a scenario or hypothetical questions vs whats a definition of this and that. Reminded me when i was applying for a engineering position and one of the interview panel was a service desk manager and dude pulled out a questionaire like hes interviewing me for a service desk position. question was like computer hardware, printers and etc. i had to stop him because i wanted to make sure that im the right interview. needless to say i didn't get that job.

also whats crazy is dude ask those type of questions like HE KNOWS on the top of his head the answer. LMAO

Wouldn’t want to work for that kind of guy

I want to thank everybody here and encourage anyone who wants to change their career into IT. It’s not too late. Many of you know my story. Next week will mark 11 months working for the department of health IT since I lost my job last year.

I am currently walking down the network Engineering path. For that role you must have certifications. I am using Udemy and CBT nuggets to prep for my CCNA exam. After that I’m going to learn Juniper and some security certifications. If anybody needs advice/encouragement/or just questions let me know. If anyone has any for me, it’ll be much appreciated.

I want to thank everybody here and encourage anyone who wants to change their career into IT. It’s not too late. Many of you know my story. Next week will mark 11 months working for the department of health IT since I lost my job last year.

I am currently walking down the network Engineering path. For that role you must have certifications. I am using Udemy and CBT nuggets to prep for my CCNA exam. After that I’m going to learn Juniper and some security certifications. If anybody needs advice/encouragement/or just questions let me know. If anyone has any for me, it’ll be much appreciated.

Do you currently work in IT? Certs are great for network engineering, but experience is king. I have my CCENT and CCNA, but the lack of experience has held me back. I kick myself because before I left my previous gig a few years ago they offered to keep me and move me to networking. The money wasn't right so I said no. The networking guy they had and he's still there, is a got damn genius. I probably would be an engineer somewhere else now.

Do you currently work in IT? Certs are great for network engineering, but experience is king. I have my CCENT and CCNA, but the lack of experience has held me back. I kick myself because before I left my previous gig a few years ago they offered to keep me and move me to networking. The money wasn't right so I said no. The networking guy they had and he's still there, is a got damn genius. I probably would be an engineer somewhere else now.

Yes I do work in IT. I set up vaccination sites in my county. Basically getting the internet up and running for sites and monitor them. I have 6 years experience help desk at a previous job, and 14 months experience as a system admin at another.

6 years help desk? I don’t know how you did it .

It wasn’t true help desk. I worked for TSA in the training room. So I had to reset passwords, fix printers, connect laptops etc… Resume purposes, I put help desk.

It wasn’t true help desk. I worked for TSA in the training room. So I had to reset passwords, fix printers, connect laptops etc… Resume purposes, I put help desk.

Pretty much Desktop which is what I do now. Crazy how much you can get paid for a desktop position these days. I'm still in shock.

Pretty much Desktop which is what I do now. Crazy how much you can get paid for a desktop position these days. I'm still in shock.
desktop engineering is becoming a reality with SaaS and Cloud services changing infrastructure. managing end points during Covid put a lot into perspective. we got a few people in my company who are desktop support and they make well over $100k

desktop engineering is becoming a reality with SaaS and Cloud services changing infrastructure. managing end points during Covid put a lot into perspective. we got a few people in my company who are desktop support and they make well over $100k

This is the truth! I remember years ago you were lucky if you hit $60-$70K doing desktop. Now, that's the pay for helpdesk with the right company.

Desktop is definitely a whole different, more acceptable and comfortable beast than help desk. Not having control over your time is stressful. And yeah being well paid in a desktop role is a nice little trap of it's own. Great pay but you start losing the edge from all the certs, labs and prep you did for deeper roles because you'll use only so much from them. It's become more of a lifelong thing now though if you want it to be, got guys well into their 60s about to have a cushy retirement from desktop.

Man got an old friend that used to cleanup near 200k (if not more) before they took OT off the table. He was overworked though and earned it, but now he gets his time back.

Desktop is definitely a whole different, more acceptable and comfortable beast than help desk. Not having control over your time is stressful. And yeah being well paid in a desktop role is a nice little trap of it's own. Great pay but you start losing the edge from all the certs, labs and prep you did for deeper roles because you'll use only so much from them. It's become more of a lifelong thing now though if you want it to be, got guys well into their 60s about to have a cushy retirement from desktop.
100%. I think its interesting that the perception of desktop support is changing.
i somewhat agree with losing edge, but i think that depends on the company and the way they structure it. if you are a “desktop engineer” for a large company and you manage and maintain end points you gotta be well versed or at least be familiar in the knowing the rest of infrastructure.

End point maintenance is a pretty good gig IMO - get well versed in SCCM or whatever MDM if you guys are interested in that, cause then its not too much of the traditional desktop support. i had a colleage leave and get paid like $140k cause he was a JAMF expert.

What are some IT roles that someone can make over $60k with no certs and experience?

i got lucky on my first Help Desk / Service Desk gig with no certification. BUT i think those are super rare now, specially a lot of big company tends to outsource those positions now. If i were you id study up COMPTIA A+ or check the google IT support certs and market yourself in linkedin. you never know.

100%. I think its interesting that the perception of desktop support is changing.
i somewhat agree with losing edge, but i think that depends on the company and the way they structure it. if you are a “desktop engineer” for a large company and you manage and maintain end points you gotta be well versed or at least be familiar in the knowing the rest of infrastructure.

End point maintenance is a pretty good gig IMO - get well versed in SCCM or whatever MDM if you guys are interested in that, cause then its not too much of the traditional desktop support. i had a colleage leave and get paid like $140k cause he was a JAMF expert.

Being an SME on certain apps gets you paid, specifically enterprise tools like you said. JAMF, Confluence, OKTA. Heck even just a Salesforce admin nets you atleast in 70-90K

Being an SME on certain apps gets you paid, specifically enterprise tools like you said. JAMF, Confluence, OKTA. Heck even just a Salesforce admin nets you atleast in 70-90K

I've done work with JAMF and wasn't really a fan. Loved the idea of pushing the updates to Macs via JAMF, but when things broke it was a cluster. The company I work at now uses Okta and my boss is out for the week so he's left me and another guy to run the show with it. It's been pretty fun thus far. We also use PDQ to push updates to laptops as oppose to SCCM.

Back
Top Bottom