Interesting but potentially touchy subject....

Originally Posted by DARTH DNZY

--I dont think it has anything to do with the slave trade.
--I do agree with OP about African Americans being able to dominate almost any atheltic sport in a general sense...
--My brother said it's karma. Where they were slaves before and they're killin it now from a financial and physical standpoint.

--Its all genetics IMO.

genetics from selective breeding?

Originally Posted by DARTH DNZY

--I dont think it has anything to do with the slave trade.
--I do agree with OP about African Americans being able to dominate almost any atheltic sport in a general sense...
--My brother said it's karma. Where they were slaves before and they're killin it now from a financial and physical standpoint.

--Its all genetics IMO.

genetics from selective breeding?

Food for thought...

In high school I had a friend whose family were all born in Nigeria. While in high school his family were all very strong and fast. On the football field they were men amongst boys (small A to AAA area). In track and field his brother was tops in the state in the sprinting events and he was tops in the nation for javelin. His oldest brother made it in the NFL for a short time while he and his 2nd oldest brother are both trying out.

Now, this family is 1st generation in the USA and are all physical specimens. They clearly do not look like your average Nigerians.

I believe that if Africa wasn't in such a poor and impoverished state, the people would tend to be much better overall athletic with proper nutrition, education, and training facilities.

Food for thought...

In high school I had a friend whose family were all born in Nigeria. While in high school his family were all very strong and fast. On the football field they were men amongst boys (small A to AAA area). In track and field his brother was tops in the state in the sprinting events and he was tops in the nation for javelin. His oldest brother made it in the NFL for a short time while he and his 2nd oldest brother are both trying out.

Now, this family is 1st generation in the USA and are all physical specimens. They clearly do not look like your average Nigerians.

I believe that if Africa wasn't in such a poor and impoverished state, the people would tend to be much better overall athletic with proper nutrition, education, and training facilities.

I don't believe it has anything to do with the slave trade necessarily ...

But upon thousands of years of being in a climate like Africa, the environment alone can help develop characteristics that "African-Americans" have today.

I don't believe it has anything to do with the slave trade necessarily ...

But upon thousands of years of being in a climate like Africa, the environment alone can help develop characteristics that "African-Americans" have today.

Originally Posted by DT43

You still haven't explained why modern-day African-Americans are not much taller and more stronger on average than whites. It's obvious that you have limited knowledge of physiology.. fast-twitch muscle fibres for sprinting/jumping have nothing to do with strength endurance, which would be the most preferred trait for slavery.

It's also obvious that you don't follow sprinting in any way. The African (as in the continent of Africa, ie people who aren't descendants of slaves) 100m record is 9.85 seconds. The fastest time ever run by a Caucasian is 9.98s. As far as sprinting goes, that's an enormous gap. Even from an observational standpoint in other events, African soccer players are known for their exceptional speed. For the most part, Caribbean sprinting is more prominent than African sprinting because they have a stronger infrastructure set up to develop sprinters and more money is poured into it.

Drop this selective breeding stuff man, you're smarter than that.
Why are you so stuck on height? The average male height in Sweden is 6'0". Do they dominate sports worldwide?
Considering that height is linked with nutrition the fact that African Americans are relatively tall at an average height of 5'10" even though they weren't fed well for centuries while in slavery has to attest to something. No?

You bring up one example. There are outliers in any group. The fact that any white guy broke 10s is a testament to that.
laugh.gif

Look at the list of the top 10 100m times. Nine out of the 10 are Jamaica, Canada, and USA and all are descendants of African slaves.

You're taking the selective breeding too literally. There is natural evolution and then there is forced evolution. It's called treating humans like domesticated animals aka eugenics. That's exactly what slave owners and slave traders in the Europe/ Western hemisphere did.

^ You are mistaken, there are is no such truth to that. There areAfrican athletes who can dominate any sport just like African-Americanbecause they share common genetics. athletes like Samuel Eto'o, DidierDrogba, Hakeem Olajuwon, Nnamdi Asomugha etc. If there was selectivebreeding then every African-American would have Lebron typeathleticism.
As I said there are outliers in any group. Naming a few African soccer players doesn't mean much. That's why they are the "elite" in their sport whether they are white , black, asian, etc.
We are talking about "on average"  here. Not the elite outliers.

You still haven't explained why modern-day African-Americans are not much taller and more stronger on average than whites. It's obvious that you have limited knowledge of physiology.. fast-twitch muscle fibres for sprinting/jumping have nothing to do with strength endurance, which would be the most preferred trait for slavery.

It's also obvious that you don't follow sprinting in any way. The African (as in the continent of Africa, ie people who aren't descendants of slaves) 100m record is 9.85 seconds. The fastest time ever run by a Caucasian is 9.98s. As far as sprinting goes, that's an enormous gap. Even from an observational standpoint in other events, African soccer players are known for their exceptional speed. For the most part, Caribbean sprinting is more prominent than African sprinting because they have a stronger infrastructure set up to develop sprinters and more money is poured into it.

Why are you so stuck on height? The average male height in Sweden is 6'0". Do they dominate sports worldwide?
Considering that height is linked with nutrition the fact that African Americans are relatively tall at an average height of 5'10" even though they weren't fed well for centuries while in slavery has to attest to something. No?

You bring up one example. There are outliers in any group. The fact that any white guy broke 10s is a testament to that.
laugh.gif

Look at the list of the top 10 100m times. Nine out of the 10 are Jamaica, Canada, and USA and all are descendants of African slaves.

You're taking the selective breeding too literally. There is natural evolution and then there is forced evolution. It's called treating humans like domesticated animals aka eugenics. That's exactly what slave owners and slave traders in the Europe/ Western hemisphere did.

^ You are mistaken, there are is no such truth to that. There areAfrican athletes who can dominate any sport just like African-Americanbecause they share common genetics. athletes like Samuel Eto'o, DidierDrogba, Hakeem Olajuwon, Nnamdi Asomugha etc. If there was selectivebreeding then every African-American would have Lebron typeathleticism.
As I said there are outliers in any group. Naming a few African soccer players doesn't mean much. That's why they are the "elite" in their sport whether they are white , black, asian, etc.

I'll go against what many of the people have said thus far.

I think it has a lot to do with the slave trade. Like someone pointed out before, many of the weaker Africans died before they even reached the plantations. The strongest slaves were forced to procreate with the other stronger slaves. The weaker ones were often not even allowed to have children. Slave masters would take the babies of weaker slaves and sell them to other owners.

Years and generations later, it's no surprise that blacks are, for the most part, dominant in many physically demanding sports.

I'm surprised so many people don't agree.

*kanyeshrug*

I'll go against what many of the people have said thus far.

I think it has a lot to do with the slave trade. Like someone pointed out before, many of the weaker Africans died before they even reached the plantations. The strongest slaves were forced to procreate with the other stronger slaves. The weaker ones were often not even allowed to have children. Slave masters would take the babies of weaker slaves and sell them to other owners.

Years and generations later, it's no surprise that blacks are, for the most part, dominant in many physically demanding sports.

I'm surprised so many people don't agree.

*kanyeshrug*

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

laugh.gif

^ No your not getting the point that in places like Jamaica, US and Canada there is much more investment for many sports. In Africa there may be countries here and there that have a little bit of good development programs but none that compare to those three countries. On average all blacks with west African origin have the same amount of athleticism. There is obviously a larger sample size to choose from with African-Americans, hence why you assume that selective breeding has developed a greater amount of athletes on average. And I did not just name a few soccer players, I also named a player who can be considered a top 5 center of all time and probably the most athletic in terms of speed and quickness, and a corner back who can be considered the best at his position.

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

laugh.gif

^ No your not getting the point that in places like Jamaica, US and Canada there is much more investment for many sports. In Africa there may be countries here and there that have a little bit of good development programs but none that compare to those three countries. On average all blacks with west African origin have the same amount of athleticism. There is obviously a larger sample size to choose from with African-Americans, hence why you assume that selective breeding has developed a greater amount of athletes on average. And I did not just name a few soccer players, I also named a player who can be considered a top 5 center of all time and probably the most athletic in terms of speed and quickness, and a corner back who can be considered the best at his position.

Originally Posted by ToLiveandDieinNJ

If I own slaves, I'm going to take my biggest male slave and force him to make children with my biggest female slave. So on and so forth. We are only what like 6/7 generations out from that time period.

basically. selective breeding.

Originally Posted by ToLiveandDieinNJ

If I own slaves, I'm going to take my biggest male slave and force him to make children with my biggest female slave. So on and so forth. We are only what like 6/7 generations out from that time period.

basically. selective breeding.

I think it's a combination of the harsh environments of Africa and induced selection by the slave trade. Gotta remember though, Africans were the sought after race to be made into slaves because they were so strong in the first place.

I think it's a combination of the harsh environments of Africa and induced selection by the slave trade. Gotta remember though, Africans were the sought after race to be made into slaves because they were so strong in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom