Is Cam wrong VOL.....ROUTES

Someone please post the interviewers question in text. I can't hear her. Thanks.

So at the end of the day, what do the people who find Cam Newtons words "sexiest" want?

Should he be suspended for a couple of games?

Fined over $100,000?

Go on a press run/apology tour?

Donate money to the Breast Cancer Foundation?

Like what do you want the man to do?

Half the men in this thread who are outraged seem more angry then the female reporter right now. I hope all the guys that are angry in this thread voted for Hilary Clinton!!! Because some of you are trying waaaay to hard...

thats the same way I would've broken it down. people have prejudices, but they have the option/power to keep it to themselves.
Yea when we get into judging people's THOUGHTS and FEELINGS, that is some other level of, "Holier than Thou."

Feel how you want. Feel free. Why SHOULD I care unless you put it out there for the world to see?
I don't
I won't
I wouldn't
I shouldn't

One thing I’ll never understand:

Why is this the hill people want to die on. What exactly are we defending? The right to say what you like without offending someone?

It’s not about punishment, people are just calling it what it is. If someone at in a position to do so decides to punish him, I won’t be defending him...but I also couldn’t care less about him being punished.

I think this is moreso about all of our feelings on the topic. It’s less about Cam and more about seeing that there are so many people on either side of the argument. Surprising that so many people are eager to defend him. I know some of you aren’t excusing it, so don’t think I’m conflating all you guys.

I just don’t see how and most importantly why people feel compelled to defend ignorant comments.

Yea when we get into judging people's THOUGHTS and FEELINGS, that is some other level of, "Holier than Thou."

Feel how you want. Feel free. Why SHOULD I care unless you put it out there for the world to see?
I don't
I won't
I wouldn't
I shouldn't
Yeah, I don’t think we disagree. For me, it’s the fact that he spoke it so casually that makes me believe that that prejudice is more than just thoughts and are probably reality in his mind.

So yeah, it’s the words. But the words just illuminate the thoughts more.

I think the context matters with these type of statements.

If a random woman off the street came up and started discussing technical football terms, it wouldn't have been AS bad. It's not a great assumption to have, but it would've been similar to how women ask me "How did you know that?" if I bring up some random fashion facts that most men don't know or care about. In that situation it's more about surprise at the person having interest, not surprise at the person being capable of learning about the subject matter.

However, in this situation, the woman is clearly a professional regarding the subject matter, and you're in a professional setting. Why else would she be there? You have to be either an idiot or prejudiced to think that women aren't able to learn and understand these technical terms. Finding it "funny" versus finding it "admirable" are completely different things as well. For example, I admire women who break into a male dominated field such as engineering. I don't find it funny or amusing that a woman was able to learn the subject matter.

Last edited:
That’s a long way to go to justify it.

And holding onto prejudices that you’ve developed to the point that you think it’s fine to say in casual conversation is a problem. Thinking it is problem enough. Not being able to question and examine your own prejudices is worse. Seems that prejudice is just second nature, and he just sees it as fact.

How old is Cam? He seems like he has a lot of growing up to do.

we're talking about women being well versed in football plays

oh the horror to assume women aren't up studying football plays

you'd think this is much more serious than it is the way words like "prejudice" are being thrown around

is her not knowing "routes" some kind of statement on her intelligence lol

^^This woman's career is about football and she's been reporting on the team for a year. It is insulting to think she wouldn't know something as simple as a route.

So when something happens, we should say

A. Right
B. Wrong

If we say anything else, it counts as justification?

Just being clear for the future because it seems like whenever ANYONE doesn't have a hard stance on a topic, thry get called out for justifying.

Why does everything HAVE to be black or white

you'd think this is much more serious than it is the way words like "prejudice" are being thrown around

Well, in her defense she IS a football reporter.

I don't think a lot of you know the way he said funny wasnt meant to br taken as him laughing at her for doing her job.

I remember hearing women calling play by play in the NBA recently and found it funny.

Not LOL funny but just different and not the norm.

I'm not saying she cant call the game with the best of them, it's just something out thr norm.

Yall weren't surprised dude from Hoodie and the Blowfish is a COUNTRY STAR!

Mina Kimes knows freaking defensive packages like no other.

David Spade is a certified lady killer.

Thats funny.

So at the end of the day, what do the people who find Cam Newtons words "sexiest" want?

Fined over $100,000?

Half the men in this thread who are outraged seem more angry then the female reporter right now. I hope all the guys that are angry in this thread voted for Hilary Clinton!!! Because some of you are trying waaaay to hard...

There's that word again :lol: No one here is outraged. Calling out BS and keeping it real (whatever that means to the individual) does not mean anyone is upset.

I don't see anyone saying he should be fired or fined. And it's ridiculous to think so. The majority of users on here agree that the dude is an idiot, said something arrogant, and left it at that.

Fined over $100,000?

Don't care about punishment or this story in general.

It was objectively a stupid and sexist comment though. A reporter asked him a question and he essentially went "lol women" in a patronizing way prior to answering it.

But she knew “routes”. It’s not a statement on her intelligence, but it’s a direct reflection on her profession.

You’re talking about “women”. We’re taking about ONE woman who is doing her job in what is supposed to be a professional setting.

Cam thought it was “funny” that a football reporter at a football press conference knew what is a very basic football term.

He doesn’t have to be punished, and you don’t have to care, but please don’t tell me you’re that oblivious to the issue here.

was listening to Sports radio today to get a feel on da consensus...seems da media cares more about it than da public.

even hot 97 in da morning hosts were taken aback at how ho hum da public took it.

there are no women playing in the nfl

women really have no reason to keep up with it

***** what?

giphy.gif

A reporter asked him a question and he essentially went "lol women" in a patronizing way prior to answering it.

He did none of that lol.

He said wow, its not everyday a women asks e about routes.

Sports media as a whole rarely dives in on X's and O's, slants, drags, fly routes and digs.

Usually the ask the most meaningless questions.

And for a womeb to cut through and ask about the effort in route running was something new, a breath of fresh air, and for Cam and a lack of a better word, "funny".

What are you not getting?

Not defending it at all.

I said it isn't ok for him to speak like that.

But he can THINK whatever the hell he wants. Once those thoughts become actions, then they hold weight.

I view thoughts and actions as different things. Thoughts CAN lead into actions for sure but until someone puts those thoughts into the world, who am I to say his thoughts are wrong?

And YES, if we were to replace Cam with a Klansman, I would say the same thing. He can THINK whatever the hell he wants. It is of no concern until those feelings are put into the universe.
You seem to be trying to excuse his thoughts with "he can think w/e he wants."

That has nothing to do with if his thoughts are right or wrong.

You can think whatever you want and those thoughts can still be WRONG.

You sound crazy saying a klansmen can think w/e he wants so racist thoughts can't be deemed wrong. Total bull ****.

This aint hard.

I remember hearing women calling play by play in the NBA recently and found it funny.

Not LOL funny but just different and not the norm.

problem with da "over sensitivity" is when you point out these obvious abnormal things is a 'ism"

clearly cam was being patronizing, but under da kernel of that he was was genuinely impressed.

i made it a point to always talk to that 1 girl in automotive class to see how she got into cars and auto repair, i guarantee you its always fascinating hearing how certain women fall into male dominated careers.

story will be gone by da weekend, that broad's dirty laundry took da air out of da twitter feminazis :lol:

before that expose' it was da grievance Olympics between racism & feminism. :smh: :lol:

Fined over $100,000?
Probably this.

**** like this gotta start hurting these ppl's pockets more and more even if they don't learn from it.

Back
Top Bottom