Is Kanye a top 10 rapper of all-time?

I love Outkast as much as the next guy but Kanye doesn't have an Idlewild in his catalog. IDC that it's a soundtrack I still count it.

N.E.R.D.'s catalog deserves to be in the conversation, they are batting 1000.

I love Outkast as much as the next guy but Kanye doesn't have an Idlewild in his catalog. IDC that it's a soundtrack I still count it.

N.E.R.D.'s catalog deserves to be in the conversation, they are batting 1000.

No, he has 808's and Yeezus.

So.....

No disagreement on Idlewild, but we clearly hang out with very different people :lol:

Last edited:
We'll agree to disagree bruh.

I don't know anyone that throws on the Idlewild and jams out in 2014. You can find plenty of people that like Yeezus and 808's.

Yeezus came out last year..... :lol:

808s came out in 08

and your point is invalid because you're basing it off the notion

that everyone thinks Idlewild is trash but Yeezus and 808s is good.

Yeezus came out last year.....
laugh.gif

808s came out in 08

Yeezus and 808's are both really polarizing albums. 

I understand that I'm making a generalization about Idlewild, but I think that the general consensus among fans of Hip Hop is that it is nowhere near as good as Kast's other albums. That's all I'm saying. Would you disagree? 

Yeezus and 808's are both really polarizing albums. 

I understand that I'm making a generalization about Idlewild, but I think that the general consensus among fans of Hip Hop is that it is nowhere near as good as Kast's other albums. That's all I'm saying. Would you disagree? 

i agree.....and that's the general consensus on Yeezus as well.

Yeezus came out last year..... :lol:

808s came out in 08

Can you even name 5 songs off idlewild without looking it up? Lol
No disagreement on Idlewild, but we clearly hang out with very different people :lol:

I can understand you not liking yeezus but no love for 808s??

sick.gif

and?l i'm not defending Idlewild...i'm saying Kanye has TWO Idlewilds.
My point is that 808's and Yeezus aren't like Idlewild because you can find plenty of people that really dig those albums. I don't think the same is true with Idlewild.

I mean it's all subjective that's just how I see it.

:x
and?l i'm not defending Idlewild...i'm saying Kanye has TWO Idlewilds.

In YOUR opinion he does. Will yeezus and 808s stand the test of time and be able to be mentioned in the same convo as his other albums later on down the line? Only time will tell. Idlewild? Not so much, by far their worst ( I thought it was decent), I've never seen heard anyone speak of idlewild when talking kast. Yeezus and 808s is a different story.

I can understand you not liking yeezus but no love for 808s??

A few songs. Amazing obviously and I actually liked Paranoid.

But everything else not so much from what I can remember. Not even Heartless. Although I can see how people might like that song. It's fairly well written. Just didn't dig it sonically.

You have to understand. I love Hip Hop. Love great Pop music. Great rock music and great R+B.

A lot of that album just felt like bad experimental R+B to me in a way.

But I honestly haven't listened in a while, because I remember being very disappointed when I first went through it.

And since it hasn't been mentioned, I'm also a fan of both Big Boi solo albums.

And Benz Or Beamer + The Whole World.....

Last edited:
A few songs. Amazing obviously and I actually liked Paranoid.

But everything else not so much from what I can remember. Not even Heartless. Although I can see how people might like that song. It's fairly well written. Just didn't dig it sonically.

You have to understand. I love Hip Hop. Love great Pop music. Great rock music and great R+B.

A lot of that album just felt like bad experimental R+B to me in a way.

But I honestly haven't listened in a while, because I remember being very disappointed when I first went through it.

And since it hasn't been mentioned, I'm also a fan of both Big Boi solo albums.
I can dig it man. I see where your coming from. I really think it would surprise you if you ever go back and give it a few spins but to each his own.

I think Yeezus is fake deep. Meaning that Ye fans think that everyone who hates it now will somehow praise it 5 years from now because of its different sound, when in reality it's just a miss from Kanye.

Kanye is probably towards the latter end of the list, but imo you have to include him. No matter how you feel about him as a person, he undoubtedly has 4 classic albums. His flow could be better though.

When it comes to pure music, to me....Kanye is arguably the greatest ever. His discography is INCREDIBLE. I can't think of too many other Hip Hop artist that even come close his consistency and creativity. He has yet to make a bad album (or just good for a matter of fact).

Though as a pure lyricist, I don't think I'd even put him in my top or 15. There are so many other artist that can out rap him, though they might not be able put out an album as strong as him.

Lol at this "discography" talk. Off the top of my head...

Ghostface

Gang Starr

Atmosphere

Tribe

The Roots

Common

Outkast

Brand Nubian

Face Mob

DOOM 

Beastie Boys

...All take a dump on Kanye's catalogue. 

Last edited:
When it comes to pure music, to me....Kanye is arguably the greatest ever. His discography is INCREDIBLE. I can't think of too many other Hip Hop artist that even come close his consistency and creativity. He has yet to make a bad album (or just good for a matter of fact).

Though as a pure lyricist, I don't think I'd even put him in my top or 15. There are so many other artist that can out rap him, though they might not be able put out an album as strong as him.

View media item 940237

i'ma leave y'all alone, now. i just wanted to use that .gif :lol:

Can't he just go back to rocking Louie backpacks and making music for suburban nerds who like soul samples????

Bro

DON'T LIKE

I know that this is the case with EVERY musician, there will always be folks who will always want the old ****; folks in the 80s who wanted 60s Dylan, folks in 2014 who want Reasonable Doubt Hov, people who listened to Distant Relatives that wanted Illmatic.

But you just need to understand that people grow, man. Kanye West is literally not the same man that he was back in 2005, for better or worse. His music will not reflect the person he was ten years ago.

I promise you bro I can listen to Spaceship over and over again, being that I am currently a retail Kunta Kinte. But I can also listen to MBDTF because to be quite frank with you that **** slap and I think it's one of the greatest albums of the last ten years.

It pretty much comes down to either accepting who the artist is now or moving on to one that more readily stimulates what you're looking for because I guarantee you that in this day and age there is no shortage of music for nerdy hood-raised but currently suburban lonely black kids

Last edited:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: @ Kanye "has yet to make a bad album". He has 2 that are on par with Em's Encore and Relapse/Recovery, straight up mediocre stuff. These extreme Kanye fans are something else

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
@ Kanye "has yet to make a bad album". He has 2 that are on par with Em's Encore and Relapse/Recovery, straight up mediocre stuff. These extreme Kanye fans are something else
What would you consider to be these two mediocre albums? If you say Yeezus, I'd be inclined to respect your opinion. Because I only see one.

Back
Top Bottom