Is Kobe Bryant Currently The Third Best Player In League?

Originally Posted by ACBboyz84

Originally Posted by Mamba MVP

d7916d2d5e7405e7f010a77727eae4b5bee15136.jpg

Really? Every time someone comes along and has a good season or two they automatically want to crown them before they earn the title. Is KD having a great season, yes, but to suggest that he at this point is better in any facet of the game than Bean even with his two broke fingers, bad knees and ankles is just ludicrous. Let the kid actually do something of note first. The ONLY thing that KD has on Bean right now is father time...
roll.gif
Kobe expression. Where was this from ?

and to answer OP question. No Kobe is still numero uno in the league
This was when Kobe was being interviewed at the Lakers practice facility in El Segundo after they just got back from that road trip that ended with a close loss @ Orlando and the media was asking him about Matt Barnes trying to get under Kobe's skin during that game.

Originally Posted by hunter2k4

Originally Posted by JD617

The man is at a level right now that only Wilt and Jordan have ever reached. That enough of a reason?

wow just wow... smh 
tired.gif

Lebron is NOT at that MJ level!.... Esp. considering that a huge part of MJ's legacy is all about what he did in the Playoffs, I'm not saying LBJ can't do it or doesn't have the potential to do, he just hasn't done it yet.  I don't think that just because he is having a better season does it mean he is better than Kobe.  One thing that I do think we need to consider is the difference between being the best player in the NBA right now which Lebron may be, and that One is better than the Other as an absolute argument.  One season is not enough time to say this.  You mean that if Bron plays with a bum ankle next year and  a broken finger hindering his gameplay then all of a sudden Cav's fans would say Kobe's better? I doubt that...

Not sure what you are trying to get at with that....but using your timeline. what will Cavs fans have to do with LeBron?

1.) Kobe
2.) Lebron
3.) Wade
4.) Durant (will be #3 very soon)
5.) Paul
6.) Melo
7.) Dirk
8.) Dwight
9.) Roy
10. ) Bosh/Gasol

Originally Posted by hunter2k4

Originally Posted by JD617

The man is at a level right now that only Wilt and Jordan have ever reached. That enough of a reason?

wow just wow... smh 
tired.gif

Lebron is NOT at that MJ level!.... Esp. considering that a huge part of MJ's legacy is all about what he did in the Playoffs, I'm not saying LBJ can't do it or doesn't have the potential to do, he just hasn't done it yet.  I don't think that just because he is having a better season does it mean he is better than Kobe.  One thing that I do think we need to consider is the difference between being the best player in the NBA right now which Lebron may be, and that One is better than the Other as an absolute argument.  One season is not enough time to say this.  You mean that if Bron plays with a bum ankle next year and  a broken finger hindering his gameplay then all of a sudden Cav's fans would say Kobe's better? I doubt that...

laugh.gif
at "one season is not enough time."

You're making it sound like he's a decent player having a breakout season. This is becoming the norm for him:

'08-'09 reg. season: 28, 7, 7 on 49% shooting
'08-'09 playoffs: 35, 9, 7 on 51% shooting
'09-'10 reg season: 30, 7, 8.5 on 50% shooting

These are historic numbers he's putting up.

And yes, I know that he is gonna need championships to ultimately cement his place among the all-time greats, and I know that until he wins multiple championships, Kobe's career is better than Lebron's, but right now, as a basketball player, Lebron is the best on the planet and the level he is at right now has rarely been seen in the history of the league.

I'm sounding like a Lebron fan with these posts, but believe it or not I don't even like him that much. But as a fan of the game, I have to put that aside and recognize greatness.

some of these little boys on here are so blind with their kobe hate.

its all gravy tho, people forget that jordan got the same type of hate when he was doo dooing on you guys squads also.

Originally Posted by hypebeast5

everyone is talking about stats and stuff ... but everyone is forgetting Cleveland is in East Coast ... check the standings and compare the teams from 5-8 .. see how tough is Western Conf? kobe is better hands down i thinks cavs fan will realize this to when june comes

lebron is the best player in the league without question

Come on man...some of yall are killin me...Some of you need to remember there is offense AND DEFENSE...

Until Durant and Melo are making all defensive teams and are lockdown defenders they are not on the level of kobe, lebron, wade, or even cp3...Sure Melo D's has gotten better, but he's still slightly above average at best...and Durant is a little bit better on D than Melo but still not all nba level

Now if we're talking strictly offensive yea Melo and Durant are right up there with Kobe and lebron..

In order to be top 3/5 player in this league imo you have to

1) be the one of the best at your position on offense and defense
2) perform at the same level in the playoffs

When he wins a title or 4 then you can say something, but as long as Kobe is leading the Lakers as the defending champs and he adds to his game every single year, he is on top. Kobe's been there, done that. Just cause Lebron is doing it now doesnt mean he's better.

EDIT: The funny thing is though that Kobe does not give a F
pimp.gif
, and that's why he is so damn polarizing and that's what I love about him the most.
roll.gif

Originally Posted by Do Be Doo

IMO he is number 1 still....

AGREED..."best" player in the league has a prerequisite of championship rings, that's plural fellas

that writer just trying to get his name out there but he gonna have Kobe destroy KD if they meet

Ain't nobody care about if you're a celtic fan , spurs fan...hell opinions of NT aka home of shoe nerds (70% from CA)

but it's scary to think that Durant is already looking down Kobe bryant right now.

remember durant is 21 and is better than anything kobe does except for passing oh the irony.

But there shouldn't be a discussion about KD > KB @ 21.

And if you don't think LBJ is no.1 slap your girl if you have any.

Yes kobe was pretty clutch this year and last year...like i said, besides those years, he was no greater than my friend average joe.

being clutch doesn't make you no.1 said horry

Originally Posted by HANNSUM

Ain't nobody care about if you're a celtic fan , spurs fan...hell opinions of NT aka home of shoe nerds (70% from CA)

but it's scary to think that Durant is already looking down Kobe bryant right now.

remember durant is 21 and is better than anything kobe does except for passing oh the irony.

But there shouldn't be a discussion about KD > KB @ 21.

And if you don't think LBJ is no.1 slap your girl if you have any.

Yes kobe was pretty clutch this year and last year...like i said, besides those years, he was no greater than my friend average joe.

being clutch doesn't make you no.1 said horry
LOLOLOL
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

You truly have problems....average joe.....

so previous titles is really the main reason why you guys think Kobe is #1 at PRESENT?

you guys do realize players decline right? that just because someone was once the best player in the league does NOT mean that he will still be the best until the day he retires, or that someone else can never overtake him. Was jordan still the best player in the league when he came back for the wizards, because he had 6 titles? If lebron never wins a title, does that mean he can NEVER be better than kobe?

people forget that titles are a TEAM effort, that NO SINGLE PLAYER can get one by himself. So if the lakers were never given Gasol and kept getting bounced in the first round, that Kobe would be any less of an INDIVIDUAL PLAYER? Is Kobe of 05-06 that averaged 35 a night and 81 in a single game a lesser player than Kobe at present because the kobe at present has one extra ring and nba finals mvp?

Honestly, at PRESENT, if you watch the two objectively (i know that's impossible for most of you people), i can't see any good reason why Kobe would be considered a better all around player than Lebron. Yes, if there's one last shot to end the game, he's the one i'd want to take the shot. But just making last minute clutch shots does not = better player.

For 48 minutes a night on a night in and night out basis, NO ONE controls the game like Lebron does. He makes everyone around him better. He'll faciliate the first half, get everyone involved, and still end up with 30 by the end of the game. I honestly think he could turn any team in the league into not just a playoff team, but at least top 5-6 in the conference. yes this includes the nets. lebron + brook + devin harris is not a bad combo.

I mean really, what argument can really be made about Kobe being a better player RIGHT NOW? LeBron has him in EVERY stat category except FT (yes that includes 3 pt %). Yes, Kobe's made some memorable shots this year (and in his career), but lebron has him in 4th quarter scoring. just because Kobe has more rings and a more extensive resume doesn't mean he's a better player RIGHT NOW. Is Wade better than lebron cuz he has a ring? Is pierce?

Originally Posted by hypebeast5

everyone is talking about stats and stuff ... but everyone is forgetting Cleveland is in East Coast ... check the standings and compare the teams from 5-8 .. see how tough is Western Conf? kobe is better hands down i thinks cavs fan will realize this to when june comes

the cavs are 22-6 against the west this year

^ Pretty much...

I mean just being back on topic, Kobe is better than KD, but LeBron is arguably better than Kobe now. Not career-wise. Just at this current stage of their careers.

Back
Top Bottom