Is Paul Pierce Retired # deserving? HOF deserving?

So me and one of my fellow NBA enthusiasts were arguing over whether or not The Truth deserves to have his number retired with the rest of the Celtic greats. Iargued that not only does he deserve such an honor, but he should (and will one day) enter the Hall of Fame. I'd like to hear both sides of the argumenthere.

I think Pierce is one of the best and most durable SG's/SF's of his generation. I feel that he never got enough love because he wasn't as flashy assay VC, yet I feel he was a better player and had a better career. Here are some stats/reasons as to why I think he is HOF worthy:

- 7 Time All-Star (likely to get at least one more this year, plus possibly a couple more)

- 23 ppg avg for career, with 20+ ppg each season since his sophomore year. Not to mention, single season avg's of 25, 26, 26 for three consecutive yearsin the early '00's. Right atop the NBA.

- 1 time NBA Champion

- 1 time NBA Finals MVP (amongst possibly one of the greatest teams ever)

- 3x All NBA 3rd Team ('02, '03, '08)....1x All NBA 2nd Team ('09)

- Will likely reach 20,000 career points. An elusive club in the NBA, consisting of only 33 members.

His only downfall in my opinion is that he never once made an All NBA First team.

Please chime in. HOF worthy or not?

Celtics retire numbers like crazy....so it is not even a question whether his gets retired.

As for HOF....as usual in most these arguments, he has several years left to play still. Is he on pace? Yes.

The Celtics retire every jersey to ever play for them so of course he'll get his. Marbury's gonna get his jersey retired by them so what does thattell you?

Celtics retire numbers like crazy

The Celtics retire every jersey to ever play for them so of course he'll get his

When an organization wins 17 titles there are bound to be a # of worthy players deserved of having their jersey retired.

I hate the guy. But he was a good Celtic. He was there from the bottom and gave it all for his team.

HOF is debatable. One more title and he's in.

Like someone said it's debatable but one more chip may solidify his chances.

haha on Steph getting his jersey retired...

The Truth will have his number in the rafters, and if he plays 3-5 more years at his current production, he will be in the HOF.

Originally Posted by Scott Frost

Celtics retire numbers like crazy

The Celtics retire every jersey to ever play for them so of course he'll get his

When an organization wins 17 titles there are bound to be a # of worthy players deserved of having their jersey retired.

word these arent just normal players

Walter Brown - #1 - Retired in honor of the first owner of the Celtics
Red Auerbach - #2 - Retired in honor of the coach
Dennis Johnson - #3
Bill Russell - #6
JoJo White - #10
Bob Cousy - #14
Tom Heinsohn - #15
Tom Sanders - #16
John Havlicek - #17
Dave Cowens - #18
Don Nelson - #19
Bill Sharman - #21
Ed Macauley - #22
Frank Ramsey - #23
Sam Jones - #24
K.C. Jones - #25
Cedric Maxwell - #31
Kevin McHale - #32
Larry Bird - #33
Reggie Lewis - #35
Robert Parish - #00
Jim Loscutoff - LOSCY

He will without a doubt get his number retired.

He will probably get into the Hall if he continues to produce for a couple more years.

Having said that, I hate Paul Pierce.

No doubt. But they have 22 total numbers retired (21, but #18 is basically retired twice).

For comparison's sake the Lakers (14 NBA titles) have a total of 7.

Celts have had their legends. But all jokes aside, the Celts like to retire their numbers. And Pierce is a lock.

i dunno why ppl rag on paul pierce dude put his work in the league one of the best sg/sf in the past decade

RyGuy45 wrote:
No doubt. But they have 22 total numbers retired (21, but #18 is basically retired twice).

Celts have had their legends. But all jokes aside, the Celts like to retire their numbers. And Pierce is a lock.

Exactly. It's the equivalent of us retiring Kurt Rambis, Cooper, Scott, Fisher, Horry, Fox, the virgin, and any other player that won a ring with us.

I don't even know half those dudes Retro listed........

JoJo White - #10
Tom Sanders - #16
Ed Macauley - #22
Bill Sharman - #21
Frank Ramsey - #23
Sam Jones - #24

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

He should get his number retired no doubt, and probably a HOF. But come on, that Celtics squad is not one of the greatest teams ever
laugh.gif

^ I guess I'm just trying to talk up #34 a bit. But still, I don't think that my statement was really TOO farfetched. I mean, KG, Pierce, Allen, eachprobably in the last year of their prime? With a 66-16 record? And the best single season turn-around in NBA history? Damn good team in my eyes.

Originally Posted by CP1708

RyGuy45 wrote:

Exactly. It's the equivalent of us retiring Kurt Rambis, Cooper, Scott, Fisher, Horry, Fox, the virgin, and any other player that won a ring with us.

I don't even know half those dudes Retro listed........

JoJo White - #10
Tom Sanders - #16
Ed Macauley - #22
Bill Sharman - #21
Frank Ramsey - #23
Sam Jones - #24

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

true we never saw these guys play but
JoJo White - 2 Champsionships
Tom Sanders - 8 Champioships
Ed Macauley - didnt win one but All NBA 3 years,HOF'er
Bill Sharman - 4 Championships
Frank Ramsey - 7 Championships
Sam Jones - 10 Championship
thats a crap load those players did for the team
laugh.gif

yep. to both. i've watched pierce play for years and years, definitely one of my all-time favorite celtics. he's given his all his entire career and atone point was a top 5 player. the finals mvp and 20k points will definitely help.

Back
Top Bottom