Is Spielberg the greatest director of all time or nah?

Wow, didn't expect Spielberg to be so low on yall lists.....yall didnt like Ready Player One, The Post, and Bridge of Spies? I feel Spielbergs most recent run of movies been better than Scorsese.

How far are we going back? The Wolf of Wall Street is better than all of those films.

Or people just have different taste in movies. Check out the movie thread. Some folk will tell you that the Fast and Furious franchise is great.

I think Spielberg is one of the GOATs, he's just not my #1. He's probably the best crossover director though.
I laugh now when I see these philistines try to have discussions about cinema.

Child of the 80’s so I grew up with his films. I like them but not sure he should get ALL the credit. Like someone said earlier, he does get bigger budget money than most.

I like his films though, won’t front.

I laugh now when I see these philistines try to have discussions about cinema.

q2n05t27rn861.jpg

Spielberg only good when he directs the films he actually wants to direct.
He's in a "one for them, one for me" deal. So i feel like every other film this cat directs is a classic and the other one is some studio hyped up thing because he's directing.
there are of course exceptions, where both films were dope for sure, but some felt super incomplete or half baked, Some of the films on this list are actually better than subpar, but because of who directed them I personally expected more.
some of his films run on autopilot with amazing talent like Catch me if you can and The Post. It isn't exactly every other film, some are back to back bad films but then followed up by like 2 oscar contenders.
Whats funny is that it seems that there is also a deal with actors too.
Tom Cruise(Minority Report/War of the Worlds)
Tom Hanks(Catch me if you can/ The Terminal)

great example of this is his run in the 2000's

A.I. (kubrick was supposed to direct, he died)
Minority Report
Catch me if you can(stepped in at the last minute to direct)
The Terminal
War of the Worlds( entertaining, but you could tell execs were like "Spielberg directs an Orson Wells property! plus that ending, dude ain't give no dambs)
Munich
Indy and crystal skulls

I already knew ready player one wouldn't be as good as I thought(I'm a big fan of the book)
Simply because it followed "the Post" and it's in between Westside Story, his first musical.

For me in terms of consistency it's Scorsese, plus I'm always gonna give it to someone who makes the films they want to make all the time. I mean the Irishman is such a triumph, so glad dude held out and Netflix came through

Child of the 80’s so I grew up with his films. I like them but not sure he should get ALL the credit. Like someone said earlier, he does get bigger budget money than most.

I like his films though, won’t front.
I mean he gets the bigger budgets cuz he made Jaws.

Then when ppl thought maybe he lost it he made Jurassic Park.

He does have a few bangers before JP. I feel what you’re saying though.
I'm just saying as the dude that made blockbusters a thing he cant really be approached.

He seems to have most of his movies geared to be big cinematic experiences. His style has become the standard in that way.

I know there's preference but I don't totally get some of the directors being named being ranked over him. Maybe they just mean favorites.

Last edited:
Where do you guys draw the line between a good director and a good writers?
Ready Player One was directed well visually, while the writing was mediocre. Really Spielberg as op's #1 ain't even really controversial. It's actually arguable.

Ridley Scott, Danny Boyle, Tarantino, MS. Hell, Denis Villeneuve made movie of the decade for the 10's. These man more, but really there's no definitive answer unless u mention someone like Zack Synder. I almost got Twitter jumped saying Justice League was garbage :lol:

He’s not close to 1 for me personally

Ready Player One was terrible man :lol:

He has movies I love and I don’t think he’s trash or anything but there’s a decent amount of directors with bodies of work I prefer.

Back
Top Bottom