Is the Cantonese language dying?

Lately, it seems like Cantonese is dying. Everybody speaks Mandarin now and it sucks because I don't know how to speak Mandarin. Has any of my Cantonesespeakers seen this trend lately?

My Cantonese sucks since I was born here. And I'm pretty certain my kids won't know how to speak Cantonese either.
smh.gif
smh.gif

yeah more mainlanders from china are immigrating to north america now it seems
i'm hearing more mandarin these days

Most of my friends from Oakland/ East Bay speak Cantonese. Other than that, it's mostly Mandarin.

Originally Posted by ElijahDukes

yeah more mainlanders from china are immigrating to north america now it seems
i'm hearing more mandarin these days
I feel you.
smh.gif

My Chinese brothers, let's keep it alive. Dai ga gong jung mun.
roll.gif

cuz Canto is only spoken mostly by HKers i think? someone correct me if i'm wrong. mainland China and Taiwan uses Mandarin

Originally Posted by chino905

My Cantonese sucks since I was born here. And I'm pretty certain my kids won't know how to speak Cantonese either.
smh.gif
smh.gif
I was born here too, but my cantonese is on point. Its a damn shame with chinese kids though, the first generation ABCs tend to feel embarassedspeaking chinese. I don't see this with other asian kids.

Originally Posted by dunkaruu

Mandarin sounds smooth..cantonese sounds like it comes from the gut.
roll.gif

Most Cantonese speaking people come from Hong Kong and the Canton region (or Guangzhou for the Mandarin pronounciation). The reason why Mandarin is everywhereis because the Chinese government has actually set a standard for everyone to be able to speak and understand Mandarin so they are able to communicate acrossChina. If you think about how many people there are and how many dialects are spoken, it is impossible to communicate with each other without getting into afight (no joke). I would love to learn how to speak Cantonese since I am already fluent in Mandarin.

Originally Posted by BgL2687

smh.gif
smh.gif
I was born here too, but my cantonese is on point. Its a damn shame with chinese kids though, the first generation ABCs tend to feel embarassed speaking chinese. I don't see this with other asian kids.

For me, I wasn't embarrassed about speaking the language, I was just always stubborn as a kid and not wanting to go to Chinese school, and not having anychinese kids living or going to school around me to speak with, etc.

Originally Posted by BgL2687

smh.gif
smh.gif
I was born here too, but my cantonese is on point. Its a damn shame with chinese kids though, the first generation ABCs tend to feel embarassed speaking chinese. I don't see this with other asian kids.

For me, I wasn't embarrassed about speaking the language, I was just always stubborn as a kid and not wanting to go to Chinese school, and not having any chinese kids living or going to school around me to speak with, etc.

i was the same exact way.. but over the years ive met a lot of new people who speak canto and mandarin and i only speak and understand canto and pick up bitsoff of mandarin.. prolly wanna take a mandarin class in the near future.. then ill have 4 languagees spoken fluently
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom