Is the Cantonese language dying?

Originally Posted by Seattle206

mandarian is ugly

toisanese is where it's at...

I'm sorry man..but toisan is a pretty bad dialect..and im toisan.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by The Rat Pack Is Back

toishan is like the chinese hick language

roll.gif
truth. My former roommate spoke Toisan and he even admitted it soundedlike crap. Although Mandarin ain't my first dialect (Wuhanese is) I still think it sounds the best out of all the Chinese dialects. I mean, there's areason that 95% of Chinese music is sung in Mandarin.

Originally Posted by dgk3188

i would love to learn Mandarin.

or even cantonese.

(i'm hispanic)
word....

my kids if i have my way will learn how to speak chinese.

Mandarin is by far easier to learn compared to Cantonese.

size twelve - I always thought you were Filipino.

Cantonese songs>Mandarin songs. Beyond FTW!

Originally Posted by jumpmantwenty3

Originally Posted by The Rat Pack Is Back

toishan is like the chinese hick language

roll.gif
truth. My former roommate spoke Toisan and he even admitted it sounded like crap. Although Mandarin ain't my first dialect (Wuhanese is) I still think it sounds the best out of all the Chinese dialects. I mean, there's a reason that 95% of Chinese music is sung in Mandarin.
Don't hate 90% of the chinatowns in the world is built by Toisans, and not to mention we built the railroads
pimp.gif

I think Mandarin songs sound way better than Cantonese songs
laugh.gif

But conversationally, Cantonese >>> Mandarin, easily.

Originally Posted by BgL2687

Originally Posted by nicedudewithnicedreams

Originally Posted by Koopa2410

mandarin > cantonese.

anyday.
no thanks.
laugh.gif
have you noticed people that strictly speak mandarin hate and look down on people that speak cantonese? Maybe its just the people I've met around south bay san jose area(mainly mandarin speakers). They always say cantonese is rude. Just like how thai people say lao language is rude, buts its similar has hell.
Yeah for the most part. Not sure about the rude part, but I have to say most Canto people talk really loud.

I grew up speaking Cantonese but my family is Toishan. Toishan is horrible, they give Chinese people a bad rep. The way they speak bugs the hell out of me. Asfor Mandarin, you won't be able to survive in China if you don't know it. I'm just glad I picked it up the last few years. Outside of Canton, noone speaks Cantonese. So yeah, it is a dying language.

Originally Posted by Jigga Boi

I grew up speaking Cantonese but my family is Toishan. Toishan is horrible, they give Chinese people a bad rep. The way they speak bugs the hell out of me. As for Mandarin, you won't be able to survive in China if you don't know it. I'm just glad I picked it up the last few years. Outside of Canton, no one speaks Cantonese. So yeah, it is a dying language.

Lets not forget the 7+mn people in HK... while the movement is more towards learning Mandarin, I don't think Canto will ever 'die'.

If I remember correctly, the reason why Mandarin is relatively easier to learn than Canto was because Mandarin has 4 main tones while Canto has 9.

Originally Posted by KL9

Bu dui.

I mean, mm hai.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by BgL2687

Originally Posted by Seattle206

mandarian is ugly

toisanese is where it's at...
laugh.gif
you serious? toisan is worse than mandarin. My moms side is toisan all I hear is yelling when they speak. I can understand and speak some toisan too, but I don't get why the people need to yell when they talk.

i think thats the way every chinese person talks, not just toisan.
but
eek.gif
eek.gif
at the amount of chinese people here
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by the north west

I am probably the only person on here that speaks Teochew

your gramps or fam part teochew? i kno the majority of chinese in SEAsia are Teochew who migrated down to Lao, Vietnam or Thailand and mix with the natives. Ithink BKK got a district thats has a huge Teochew community.

Back
Top Bottom