Is Yao a Hall of Famer?

Originally Posted by GingersAintBad

Why would Yao be a hall of famer? What exactly has he done? Sure he'll be in the Chinese BBall HOF but why what makes him deserving of being in this one?
He has helped IMMENSELY with the globalization of the NBA. I'm not saying he's deserving statistically or by awards....however, theb-ball HOF goes much further than just the NBA. I'd say he has a great shot of getting in.

Originally Posted by 81ackMamba

Remember, it's the Basketball Hall of Fame, not the NBA Hall of Fame.

He's done a lot for basketball as far as being an ambassador and pretty much made it one of the more popular sports in China.

With that said, I do think he'll eventually get in for helping to globalize the sport.
pimp.gif
SOMEONE gets it

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

^True.

Who knows if he has years left to play or not, and who knows how much his "globalization" will impact his situation. But I say no way. Talented giant but he is as much a product of the ESPN machine as anyone and owes a huge portion of that to his popularity. And he only played seven NBA seasons never finishing in the top 6 in PPG, RPG, or BPG despite being 7'6'' and "about to take over the center position in the NBA" the day he landed.
I don't like this logic, Yao doesn't plays less minutes than other NBA superstars and also plays on a dirt slow offense so naturally hecan't pad his stats like other NBA players yet he amazingly still gets his 20, 10, and 2 every year.

From the minute he stepped on court he was on of the best players in the NBA, a ruthlessly efficient offensive player, and a vastly underrated defender despitebeing the anchor for one of consistently best defensive TEAMS in the league. (They went from the worst defensive team to the 13th best when they drafted Yao)

In 2006 he averaged 26 points per game while playing only 33 minutes a game and contrary to what some morons may think, was ALWAYS the best player on therockets.

He has had a 20+ PER evey year of his career, and his career PER is 21st all time with guys like Jerry West, Elgin Baylor and Moses Malone and 8th amongstactive players. I have no doubt in my mind that if he was even healthy for just half his career he would be a sure fire no questions asked hall of famer.

But you have to ask, considering his global basketball impact and the fact that guys like AWillis Reed got a pass for his injury problems and short primewindow, you could make the case for Yao.

Is it just me or is the quality of S & T diminishing by the day? You don't need to look any further than this topic to see that
smh.gif

the most popular NBA player in the world not in the HOF...makes no sense.... and yes, he is more popular than Jordan... sorry, but i don't think Jordan hada billion fans in China back in the 90's... heck, half that country probably didn;t care back then

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

^True.

Who knows if he has years left to play or not, and who knows how much his "globalization" will impact his situation. But I say no way. Talented giant but he is as much a product of the ESPN machine as anyone and owes a huge portion of that to his popularity. And he only played seven NBA seasons never finishing in the top 6 in PPG, RPG, or BPG despite being 7'6'' and "about to take over the center position in the NBA" the day he landed.
I don't like this logic, Yao doesn't plays less minutes than other NBA superstars and also plays on a dirt slow offense so naturally he can't pad his stats like other NBA players yet he amazingly still gets his 20, 10, and 2 every year.

From the minute he stepped on court he was on of the best players in the NBA, a ruthlessly efficient offensive player, and a vastly underrated defender despite being the anchor for one of consistently best defensive TEAMS in the league. (They went from the worst defensive team to the 13th best when they drafted Yao)

In 2006 he averaged 26 points per game while playing only 33 minutes a game and contrary to what some morons may think, was ALWAYS the best player on the rockets.

He has had a 20+ PER evey year of his career, and his career PER is 21st all time with guys like Jerry West, Elgin Baylor and Moses Malone and 8th amongst active players. I have no doubt in my mind that if he was even healthy for just half his career he would be a sure fire no questions asked hall of famer.

But you have to ask, considering his global basketball impact and the fact that guys like AWillis Reed got a pass for his injury problems and short prime window, you could make the case for Yao.

Agree with u on some things...I just really think Yao hasn't done enough to merit HOF from a basketball standpoint. Guy has been on some All NBA squads andall star teams, and just got past the 1st round this season. He's been one of the best big men in the league since he entered, but he's been out asignificant amount of time almost every year.

...and please stop using the Willis Reed comparison...Willis won Rookie of the Year, 2 finals MVP's, and a regular season MVP and was without a doubt aHall of Famer as well as a top 50 player of all time. Their was no debate about impact or anything, his numbers and accomplishments did all the talking. I getwhat you're saying about the short career spans, but Willis accomplished WAY more than Yao has and i doubt Yao will ever get to that level.

Yao may get in, but it will be for his impact on basketball, not because of his stats or actual play. And i dont think theirs any question about that

I don't like this logic, Yao doesn't plays less minutes than other NBA superstars and also plays on a dirt slow offense so naturally he can't pad his stats like other NBA players yet he amazingly still gets his 20, 10, and 2 every year.

From the minute he stepped on court he was on of the best players in the NBA, a ruthlessly efficient offensive player, and a vastly underrated defender despite being the anchor for one of consistently best defensive TEAMS in the league. (They went from the worst defensive team to the 13th best when they drafted Yao)

In 2006 he averaged 26 points per game while playing only 33 minutes a game and contrary to what some morons may think, was ALWAYS the best player on the rockets.

He has had a 20+ PER evey year of his career, and his career PER is 21st all time with guys like Jerry West, Elgin Baylor and Moses Malone and 8th amongst active players. I have no doubt in my mind that if he was even healthy for just half his career he would be a sure fire no questions asked hall of famer.

But you have to ask, considering his global basketball impact and the fact that guys like AWillis Reed got a pass for his injury problems and short prime window, you could make the case for Yao.

Osh Kosh - this is my point right or wrong: We're happy for Yao. But he played seven seasons. And (strictly using NBA material for this argument) we aretalking Hall of Fame. You dont need to defend that he was a nice player. However the point was he was a good player but overrated from the day he stepped onthe floor, he didnt have a "HOF" NBA career, and he made no dent in the playoffs.

You want to bring up Willis Reed? So be it. One could make the case against him as well. But why compare the two cases when you know in Reed's short careerhe has not one but two NBA Finals MVPs? As well as a regular season MVP?

Yao Ming has a grand total of zero top 10 MVP finishes and what, one playoff series win?

(Obviously we have to factor in international.....here was just using NBA play)

Originally Posted by JordanNB23

Way too many foreign players came b4 him to make other foreign players believe they could be in the NBA one day ...LAST TIME I CHECKED KOBE IS MORE POPULAR THAN YAO IN HIS OWN COUNTRY AND MICHAEL JORDAN GLOBALIZED THE NBA...AND 2 ANSWER YOUR QUESTION HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This^

Seeing how it is a BASKETBALL hall of fame and not a NBA hall of fame, I dont see how the majority of answers in here are no. To me, its an obvious yes.

Originally Posted by iNiNe5

the most popular NBA player in the world not in the HOF...makes no sense.... and yes, he is more popular than Jordan... sorry, but i don't think Jordan had a billion fans in China back in the 90's... heck, half that country probably didn;t care back then

cf725f2462789685b5af4f7448275a2a09391ff.gif

^ what exactly is the gif for? it's true.

too many people are still looking at this from north american point of view.

they seem to think they're taking into account the rest of the world, but it's more in a shallow 'yeah i guess there are a lot of people outsidethe u.s.' sort of way.

still automatically thinking that any north american star's impact is larger by default.

Originally Posted by GingersAintBad

Why would Yao be a hall of famer? What exactly has he done? Sure he'll be in the Chinese BBall HOF but why what makes him deserving of being in this one?
some of you are downright slow.

there is no american basketball hall of fame.

there is only the BASKETBALL Hall of Fame.

Originally Posted by Clutchshooter

too many people are still looking at this from north american point of view.

they seem to think they're taking into account the rest of the world, but it's more in a shallow 'yeah i guess there are a lot of people outside the u.s.' sort of way.

still automatically thinking that any north american star's impact is larger by default.
Nice try at trying to decipher that .gif as looking at it from a North American point of view. Bottom line is go into the jungles of South Americaand say Michael Jordan and they will know what you are talking about, say Yao Ming and you will probably catch a
ohwell.gif
. Like mentioned before, Jordan globalized the NBA. Also mentioned in anearlier post is Kobe is more popular in China than Yao. True, when all-star votes are cast, his countrymen vote over and over and over again for him, but thatdoesn't mean he is more popular than Jordan on a global scale.

it's not true.

jordan is the reason they play ball in china and across the world. let's be real. he was basketball to the world, not yao. kobe is just as popular if notmore than yao ..any proof of yao being the most popular, besides stating that 1 billion people live in china?

no hall of fame for yao...so many players not in the hall that have had better basketball careers than yao

Originally Posted by Enlightened Thought

i think having an impact on a billion people is worthy of hof status.

Do you have any proof of that? I mean besides just throwing the nations population number out like that
grin.gif

Yes, he is opened up China to basketball which is going to change the game just like with how the the Chinese companies bout some of the Cavs. China's rolein the NBA is going to get bigger and bigger and it all started with Yao.

Why would you want him in the HOF for opening up basketball to china....

THE REASON FOR THE HOF IS TO HONOR YOUR CAREER, NOT HONOR HOW MANY PEOPLE YOU PUT ON TO BASKETBALL....

I'll admit tho, there are lots of undeserved people in the HOF.....ESP from the 60's...

But thats still no reason to let YAO in........DEF NOT A HALL OF FAMER..

Back
Top Bottom